Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

With all due respect Mick how do you know Paulinho will be leagues better than Parker?....my guess is you may as well be talking about Pauline than Paulinho the amount of times you have seen him play!!!! for all we know he could be another kleberson....hope not.

Parker has been a great servant for Spurs.

Did you watch Spurs last season at all? That was a serious fall from grace for Parker, unfortunatley for him he does not possess the technical ability to play in our midfield and at this stage of his career, it being a world cup year, it would be unfair to expect Parker to play fourth fiddle to Sandro, Dembele and Paulinho

Paulinho looks like a machine. From what I've seen of him he looks the real deal. Taking into account our manager spent half a year scouting the Brazilian leagues before he arrived at WHL I'd expect him to be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

i dont think Dembele, Paulinho and Sandro will play all games together....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm don't think we've really seen what Paulinho is fully capable of yet. According to the media he was playing a more cagey or defensive role for Brasil, under instructions of course. From his YouTube clips he seems quite like Dembele - well able to dribble and take the ball speedily forward but has more ability in front of goal.

If this is the case, I can see the 3 of them playing quite a bit together as we'll have 2 very strong ball carriers, who are strong enough in defence, with Sandro backing them up. It all depends on how creative Dembele & Paulinho can be and whether they're given the license to advance forwards whenever possible.

I really like the idea of them in a midfield trio though. Very tough to break down, great engines, and at least 2 of them well able to get a shot off.

Of course we could also see 2 of them used with Siggy or maybe Holtby providing the creative spark. For all we know, Bale could well fill that No. 9 role too, depending on who else we recruit.

Now to get rid of Ade, get Villa and Soldado in and I think we'll be in pretty good shape!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Suarez to Gooners, he misses our game if he does
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2355588/Luis-Suarez-Arsenal-Bookmakers-stop-taking-bets.html

Oh how it would make me smile if my smug Gooners fan friends got Suarez instead of Higuan :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

With all due respect Mick how do you know Paulinho will be leagues better than Parker?....my guess is you may as well be talking about Pauline than Paulinho the amount of times you have seen him play!!!! for all we know he could be another kleberson....hope not.

Parker has been a great servant for Spurs.
    From a footballing sense no he hasn't. You could say the same for Adebayor then, one great season followed by a poor season. Last season Parker was as poor a midfielder I've seen. Didn't seem to have much positional sense and continuously hindered the attacks by taking up positions in and around the 18 yard box, this would normally be all well and good, but he has the technical ability of an orange. He was similarly poor in the last quarter of the season before, but he had such a good start to the season it went largely unnoticed. But because he's an in your face, typically English defensive midfielder he's escaped criticism.

All that said he does seem like a good leader with a good attitude. But that alone should not give him the opportunity to have another season at a club way out of his league. I'd much rather we take the risk on a player starting in the Brazilian national team, who is widely regarded - by clubs and critics alike - as a fantastic, technically gifted player.

Also, looks like Arsenal are close to signing Higuain, which would be a disaster for us, make no mistake about it. He's a 20 goal a season striker and he's only 25. Has been a regular starter for Madrid since he was 20. I can't believe they're getting rid of him seeing as Benzema is their only other out and out striker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2355588/Luis-Suarez-Arsenal-Bookmakers-stop-taking-bets.html

Oh how it would make me smile if my smug Gooners fan friends got Suarez instead of Higuan :-D

Nah its bollocks. Won't happen. Its just on the back of a load of betting in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I agree that this is very unlikely to happen. If it did happen it would be a massive signing for them. Proven PL goalscorer who could get thirty plus goals a season if he quit his antics and stopped being banned regularly. He can also make goals for others. Would prefer to see him staying where he is, or moving abroad.

Just hope we get a top striker ourselves and a good back-up. If not top four unlikely. I believe we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Parker's main problem last season was being played in the same midfield as Huddlestone, Hudd was the weak link and seemed to try to take half of Parker's duties on the pitch... and f*ck it up. I'd rather shift Hudd than Parker. Parker hasn't a lot left in the tank but experience and grit. Hudd has not shown any sign of the player he was before injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Kold wrote: »
    Parker's main problem last season was being played in the same midfield as Huddlestone, Hudd was the weak link and seemed to try to take half of Parker's duties on the pitch... and f*ck it up. I'd rather shift Hudd than Parker. Parker hasn't a lot left in the tank but experience and grit. Hudd has not shown any sign of the player he was before injury.

I dont agree. Hudd started few games, parker played plenty of games beside dembele

In fairness guys, parker had a very good first season and the work ethic he brought to the club inspired the fans and other players and now we have grit throughout the team and a never say die attittude so we can thank him for that

However he is nearing the end of his career because of the way he plays - he is only effective when running around like a lunatic and you cant do that at 33 so its time to move him on

He was with us two years only so there is no need to be getting sentimental

2 million would be great for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

He was immense in his first season, player of the season. Rightfully earned the tag Super Scotty Parker, pity we didn’t see him in his prime. How Westham signed him I’ll never quite know. I was quite envious of my Hammers mate. We were crying out for a player like that for years. Instead we bought shít.

Now last season was a different scenario, it could only of been down to the manager asking him to play in a more forward role. I don’t recall him ever being an attacking midfielder, in his Charlton days perhaps? A player of that age doesn’t just decide he’s going to play in a more advanced position. He was over worked last season to the max. Don’t think he’d be happy playing a bit part, otherwise I’d keep him. Time to move on…

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    He was immense in his first season, player of the season. Rightfully earned the tag Super Scotty Parker, pity we didn’t see him in his prime. How Westham signed him I’ll never quite know. I was quite envious of my Hammers mate. We were crying out for a player like that for years. Instead we bought shít.

Now last season was a different scenario, it could only of been down to the manager asking him to play in a more forward role. I don’t recall him ever being an attacking midfielder, in his Charlton days perhaps? A player of that age doesn’t just decide he’s going to play in a more advanced position. He was over worked last season to the max. Don’t think he’d be happy playing a bit part, otherwise I’d keep him. Time to move on…

he was a box to box midfielder with charlton so he wouldve been attacking too.didn't we try and sign him when chelski bought him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

This won't happen, here's the reasons why...

1. Arsenal are about to sign Higuain for a club record fee of £22m. It's highly unlikely that they will spend £40m on another striker to play alongside Higuain, Giroud, Podolski et al. I doubt Wenger is comfortable spending £22m on Higuain, let alone another £40m on Suarez.

2. Suarez reason for wanting a move to Madrid is because he is hated by the English press. Arsenal is in England.

3. He is loved by the Liverpool fans. Why turn down a move abroad to go to a club in the same country only to be hated by the Liverpool fans, the English press and most importantly, the Spurs fans. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

2. Suarez reason for wanting a move to Madrid is because he is hated by the English press. Arsenal is in England.

3. He is loved by the Liverpool fans. Why turn down a move abroad to go to a club in the same country only to be hated by the Liverpool fans, the English press and most importantly, the Spurs fans. :D

....... wait a second, why would anybody bite another player?! Maybe my logic and Suarez's logic is different.

Pretty sure we tried to sign him twice and he rejected us for the Hammers and Chelsea..

The way AVB plays either midfielder can break forward and the others rotate to cover i.e. if Sandro breaks Dembele holds. Unfortunately, Parker can't do both. If he is in the defensive midfielder role he plays as a defensive midfielder. If he's further up the pitch he'll run into cul de sacs and sometimes lose the ball.

Sandro, Dembele and Paulinho can adapt quickly to play both defensively and offensively which is key to AVB's style. Parker is not dynamic enough.

In fairness to him though he played some great stuff for us, an absolute stone wall of a defensive line under HR and even last season some great moments, especially those through balls when we beat the gooners at WHL..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Paulinho having his medical today according to sky..happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

He's been spotted and pictured in the airport by multiple people so this looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23195610 medical today fingers crossed everything goes well for the guy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I was chatting to one of my Colleagues from the Brazil office, a Corinthians fan, and he was saying Paulinho is a superb player and will bring alot to Tottenham. To quote him "With Paulinho, you may be champions", I think he's getting slightly carried away, but hey ;)

Inquitus wrote: »
    I was chatting to one of my Colleagues from the Brazil office, a Corinthians fan, and he was saying Paulinho is a superb player and will bring alot to Tottenham. To quote him "With Paulinho, you may be champions", I think he's getting slightly carried away, but hey ;)

probably but if we get villa in and 1-2 more players then i do believe we will be challenging around the top 3

Thats a bold statement but with avb in charge and the new guys then there wont be many better than us

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

mickman wrote: »

Thats a bold statement but with avb in charge and the new guys then there wont be many better than us

This belief is absolutely delightful to see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Long enough medical this...

Emoran wrote: »
    Long enough medical this...

Who said it's today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Who said it's today

Sky sports news and it was all over twitter but guessing it was all rumours now!

Emoran wrote: »
    Sky sports news and it was all over twitter but guessing it was all rumours now!

No, it's not a rumour, his picture was taken at the airport, but it may not be today, most likely tomorrow.

And it may just happen that they hold off the photo in the Lane until Monday for the new jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Paulinhio officially signed
    BOexChwCQAE9qd6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

With a signing like this made already, and 3 of the top 4 having new managers this could well turn into our best ever season! Fingers crossed we ship off some deadweight now and bring in more class!

More paper talk this morning about David Villa agreeing terms and waiting on the two clubs to agree the sale.

This would still leave us needing a young striker with potential but Villa is world class, no doubt about that. He scores a goal every two games and gets plenty of assists. I don't agree with any suggestion that he is too old at 31.

Drogba was 34 when he single handedly;) won the CL for Chelsea. Van Persie was 29, and plagued with injury, when he single handledly won the EPL for United. Xavi is 33 an I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Get it done Daniel!

• Advertisement

More paper talk this morning about David Villa agreeing terms and waiting on the two clubs to agree the sale.

Read this morning the deal is done, 8M with an extra 3M performance related. Amazing value if it's true.

Advertisement