Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Is he on strike? I haven't been following the situation all that much, but you're absolutely spot on if that's the case.

Refused to travel, club confirmed it on BBC.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23236667

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'd be worried Benteke could be like Carroll, he scored almost all his goals in the second half of the season.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Refused to travel, club confirmed it on BBC.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23236667

I can't find where it says he refused to travel, it does say that he did not travel but also says Aston Villa had given him extra time off until july 18th - so he wouldn't have been expected to travel in any case.

That said, he doesn't seem to be quite as stand-up a guy as Gareth Bale :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

If we don't get Benteke who's left,not many more decent strikers around is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Late in to the debate! Great to hear about Paulinho, hope we land a top-class striker as well. Would like to keep hold of Parker, and maybe a cheeky bid for Evra?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Benteke keen on move to Spurs and not Chelsea acoording to Belgium football writer Kristof Terreur

Wonder is Verts and Dembele in his ear:D

Great signing if we could get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Benteke keen on move to Spurs and not Chelsea acoording to Belgium football writer Kristof Terreur

Wonder is Verts and Dembele in his ear:D

Great signing if we could get him.

Im sure the two lads would be talking to him

Rumour has it that he has been to the training ground and now the transfer request has gone in.

He will cost 20 mill though id say

Lets face it though, he had a great first season but he is largely unproven - could be a gamble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

mickman wrote: »
    Im sure the two lads would be talking to him

Rumour has it that he has been to the training ground and now the transfer request has gone in.

He will cost 20 mill though id say

Lets face it though, he had a great first season but he is largely unproven - could be a gamble

At the training ground!:eek::eek: Surely that's tapping up?

Agreed, it's a massive gamble, he could be the next Drogba or the next Andy Carroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

At the training ground!:eek::eek: Surely that's tapping up?

Agreed, it's a massive gamble, he could be the next Drogba or the next Andy Carroll.

Villa training ground ?
    No gamble lads, young, strong, quick, hungry to impress in WC year, Belgian buddys already at the lane, scored goals for fun in a struggling side last year, perfect fit for Spurs. He'd be a great signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Villa training ground ?
    No gamble lads, young, strong, quick, hungry to impress in WC year, Belgian buddys already at the lane, scored goals for fun in a struggling side last year, perfect fit for Spurs. He'd be a great signing.

No , spurs training ground

• Advertisement

mickman wrote: »
    No , spurs training ground

What ? Benteke is/was at the spurs training ground ? Where did you hear this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Jayzus, I hope he isn't using the same agent as Peter Odemwingie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

What ? Benteke is/was at the spurs training ground ? Where did you hear this ?

I heard this too. Apparently he tweeted saying he was in London a couple of days ago. If my sources are to be believed, he had a tour of the training ground with his mate Nacer Chadli of FC Twente.

Bad form if true. Spurs fan start a petition re: Zidane tapping up Bale, meanwhile our Club give guided tours to other teams players.

Bad form if true. Spurs fan start a petition re: Zidane tapping up Bale, meanwhile our Club give guided tours to other teams players.

The transfer rumours will obviously fly around when the window is open. Yesterday morning I read that David Villa had a verbal agreement with us, four hours later he was a Atletico Madrid player.

Anyway, at least no Spurs representative came out in public and said Benteke should hand in a transfer request. That would have been embarrassing.

A few points on the Benteke deal.

1. A Belgian journalist has come out and said Benteke told him he wants to sign for Spurs. The bookies have responded to this - http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league/27863-bookies-back-benteke-for-spurs.php

2. Benteke is apparently a big Gooner. If Arsenal are in the hunt, I doubt we'd stand a chance.

3. Benteke had a great season last year, but does that mean he's worth £25m. If there's any doubt, I think we could see a protracted Daniel Levy-esque negotiation period.

4. Personally, I'm not convinced he's worth £25m. I like him as a player, but one swallow does not make a Summer. We can't afford to get the striker purchase wrong.

I heard this too. Apparently he tweeted saying he was in London a couple of days ago. If my sources are to be believed, he had a tour of the training ground with his mate Nacer Chadli of FC Twente.

Lads, no spoofing on this forum ;)

Don't shoot the messenger! :o

Look at the post from 'SweSpurs' half way down the page....

http://www.tottenhamhotspurs.tv/know-itk/23537-official-itk-discussion-thread-438.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

If my sources are to be believed....

Shit, when did you start writing for the red tops? :pac:

• Advertisement

Shit, when did you start writing for the red tops? :pac:

Apologies I'm melting in work and there's only coverage of The Ashes on Sky Sports News when I get home. I let my 'deadline day' personality out.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

If you cant beat them.........JOIN THEM!!

Get Michael Flatley in to tap the b*stards up!!

Not sure about Benteke tbh..
    Having said that, Belguim are ranked 9th in the world and we could have their CH,CM,CF.
    Brazils 2 CM.
    French captain and Keeper.
    3rd best player in the world.
    USA Captain.
    German u21 captain.

jaysis, cant wait for FIFA 14.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

A few points on the Benteke deal.

1. A Belgian journalist has come out and said Benteke told him he wants to sign for Spurs. The bookies have responded to this - http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league/27863-bookies-back-benteke-for-spurs.php

2. Benteke is apparently a big Gooner. If Arsenal are in the hunt, I doubt we'd stand a chance.

3. Benteke had a great season last year, but does that mean he's worth £25m. If there's any doubt, I think we could see a protracted Daniel Levy-esque negotiation period.

4. Personally, I'm not convinced he's worth £25m. I like him as a player, but one swallow does not make a Summer. We can't afford to get the striker purchase wrong.

Hmm...he cost Villa 7m, unproven in a poor league.

He then goes on to score 19 goals and bully defences for a team that battled against relegation.

His value definitely more than doubled. 16m would be the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I'm just wondering do the guys who were giving out about Levy not stumping up the supposed £12m asking price for Villa, only to see him go for less than half that, finally realise that they don't have a clue about running a football club?

I'm guessing not.

What's your point? That Levy was right not to pay £12M for a player that Barca were willing to sell to someone else for £5m.

If thats what you mean, then Levy was 100% right, and I admire him if that's the case. I wouldn't have been happy to pay 5.5M (never mind 12M) for him if they were willing to sell him for £5M to someone else.

You have to wonder why they 'reportedly' wanted £12M from Spurs but happily took £5m from someone else.

It's also been 'reported' that we offered £2M.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

What's your point? That Levy was right not to pay £12M for a player that Barca were willing to sell to someone else for £5m.

If thats what you mean, then Levy was 100% right, and I admire him if that's the case. I wouldn't have been happy to pay 5.5M (never mind 12M) for him if they were willing to sell him for £5M to someone else.

You have to wonder why they 'reportedly' wanted £12M from Spurs but happily took £5m from someone else.

It's also been 'reported' that we offered £2M.

I read that Barca are still getting 50% of Villa. So if he is sold/bought again they will get half of that. Not sure how true that is but could help explain some of it anyway.

can someone show Bentekes rocket goal against WBA i think it was!!!
    An absolute missile!!!

can someone show Bentekes rocket goal against WBA i think it was!!!
    An absolute missile!!!

Here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7wRdBRRVM0

Helllooooooooooooooo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Not too sure on this Benteke one, I read earlier he threw his toys out of the pram at Genk and demanded a transfer and ended up at Villa. Now he's doing it again. Have we learned anything from Berb and Modric?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Not too sure on this Benteke one, I read earlier he threw his toys out of the pram at Genk and demanded a transfer and ended up at Villa. Now he's doing it again. Have we learned anything from Berb and Modric?

If he was a model pro he'd be plying his trade at Genk then?:D

I would worry about 2nd season syndrome like everyone else. However there are no guarantees with any player. Even an experienced internationa llike Torres nearly dragged a mediocre Liverpool to a league title in an incredible first season but hasn't kicked a ball since.

When you're looking at a player's age, physique, technical skills, courage, pace and strength you have to say Benteke has it all. Maybe there's a slight question about temperament. A game that sums him up was Villa V Chelsea. He was absolutely battering a very experienced Chelsea defence singlehandedly but got himself sent off. I can understand why Chelsea might be interested even though they have Torres, Ba and Lukaku already. They don't want to play against him again.

I'd take him for €25M in a hack.

Advertisement