Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Apparently there has been no offer made for diamao either according to his clubs president.

hope to fook the papers dont start writing more BS about us being "back" in the hunt for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

davycc wrote: »
    hope to fook the papers dont start writing more BS about us being "back" in the hunt for him

It could be we've agreed to be linked to him because of our partnership with Inter, it ups the value of the player, agents and clubs love these type of rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

What's your point? That Levy was right not to pay £12M for a player that Barca were willing to sell to someone else for £5m.

If thats what you mean, then Levy was 100% right, and I admire him if that's the case. I wouldn't have been happy to pay 5.5M (never mind 12M) for him if they were willing to sell him for £5M to someone else.

You have to wonder why they 'reportedly' wanted £12M from Spurs but happily took £5m from someone else.

It's also been 'reported' that we offered £2M.

Yeah just that some people were saying Levy should've paid up when the price was reportedly 12, turns out his price was about 5.

I don't understand why Barca included a sell on clause, if they did. Woulda thought Atletico is likely to be his last club.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

according to SSN napoli have enquired about damiao....meh, dont think i want us to sign him anyway

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I have no idea who that guy is, is he any good?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Former Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Giovani dos Santos has joined Villarreal on a four-year deal. Good news because we net 50% of that 7Million transfer fee due to the crafty future sell-on clause Levy got when he sold him :D

In Levy We Trust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/09/christian-benteke-tottenham-spurs-villa

I don't actually want him to join us. He's bound to pull a similar stunt in 12/18/24 months with us if he makes it or he'll prove to be one expensive flop. Can't see Levy going down this road. His attitude is fitting with the boardroom at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Reports Fiorentina and Spurs both offered 3/4 million euros more than Athleti for Villa but he wanted to go to Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Saab Ed wrote: »
    http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/09/christian-benteke-tottenham-spurs-villa

I don't actually want him to join us. He's bound to pull a similar stunt in 12/18/24 months with us if he makes it or he'll prove to be one expensive flop. Can't see Levy going down this road. His attitude is fitting with the boardroom at all.

Fcuk that. He's no different to most footballers mate. He gets goals which is what we need, and there ain't many other good realistic targets around today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Fcuk that. He's no different to most footballers mate. He gets goals which is what we need, and there ain't many other good realistic targets around today.

is he the kind of 30 goal a season man though , does he sit in the box and get those all important tap in's that we need so badly.

when villa played chelsea he had a stormer of a game but was out the field quite a bit.

I feel that we need a goal poacher more than anything, someone who has pace to burst into the box and get on the end of bales / lennons crosses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Former Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Giovani dos Santos has joined Villarreal on a four-year deal. Good news because we net 50% of that 7Million transfer fee due to the crafty future sell-on clause Levy got when he sold him :D

In Levy We Trust

Nice work by DL. Has Dos Santos come good since he left then or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

mickman wrote: »
    I feel that we need a goal poacher more than anything, someone who has pace to burst into the box and get on the end of bales / lennons crosses

You mean someone like Defoe? He hasn't exactly set the world alight with Bale and Lennon down each wing.

Re: Benteke

I don't think he's worth £25m (apparently what Villa are holding out for). I think he's currently worth £17m.

Also, we all seem to think that he is going to hand in a transfer request to us in 12/24 months time.

So, Levy should offer £17m and give Villa 10% of his sell-on fee in 12/24 months. He should then offer Benteke a contract with a £35m minimum fee release clause.

Logic, if Benteke has 2 cracking seasons. We get more value than what we paid for and we make a profit in two years time. Also, Villa get more than £20m for a player with an assumed (by me) market value of £17m. If Benteke turns out to be another Andy Carroll, we didn't pay over the odds for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Not too sure on this Benteke one, I read earlier he threw his toys out of the pram at Genk and demanded a transfer and ended up at Villa. Now he's doing it again. Have we learned anything from Berb and Modric?

There are very few players that aren't going to push hard for a move when a bigger Club come calling, Bale is an exception but even he will be gone next season.

Re Benteke, from the little I've seen he has more than goals to his game, strong physical presence, can score with his head(a while since we had a centre forawrd could do that), links play well. He is a perfect fit for us and we would have 3 good options as strikers then, Ade and Defoe all offer something different.

I don't think he is worth 25 or even 20 million, and I doubt very much we will pay anything like that unless another bigger Club comes in for him.

You mean someone like Defoe? He hasn't exactly set the world alight with Bale and Lennon down each wing.

I mean someone like Ian wright / RVP

Defoe is a poor finisher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭golfball37

Lukaku is a far better player than Benteke for me, the latter misses far too many chances to be a 25m player at this stage in his career.

Physically he has the lot but I wouldn't trust him in a one on one situation anymore than I'd trust Defoe.

Napoli had an 18m bid for Leandro Damio turned down last night I read earlier.

If we think we are taking a risk with Benteke, surely LD is a far bigger risk, I hope we never see that guy at Spurs, way overhyped imo.

is he the kind of 30 goal a season man though , does he sit in the box and get those all important tap in's that we need so badly.

when villa played chelsea he had a stormer of a game but was out the field quite a bit.

Realistically are we gonna get a guy who gets 30 goals a season? There's not many of them around. If Benteke came and got 20-24 league goals next season, I'd be happy. Throw Bales form in to the mix and we won't be far away.

P.S. Is Levy really gonna pay 25m on a player after spending 17m on a midfielder, here's hoping.

Hatch99 wrote: »

dear god, that would be fantastic news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Alot of talk of another Belgian Nacer Chali (the guy Benteke was apparently at our training ground with) signing for €7m. Good competition for the inconsistent Aaron Lennon if true..

On Benteke, the papers would have you believe he wants to join Spurs. There are reports that he is on £20k a week at Villa and a new contract did not reflect him single handedly keeping them up last season, hence he wants to leave and join AVB's Tottenham/Belgian revolution:D

Obviously this all comes from the same papers breaking the 'David Villa deal imminent' story..;);)

PS: GDS was a star player for Mallorca last season but they got relegated. I read that Villareal had overpaid for another Mallorca player in an attempt reduce the sell on fee to Spurs, might not be true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Alot of talk of another Belgian Nacer Chali (the guy Benteke was apparently at our training ground with) signing for €7m. Good competition for the inconsistent Aaron Lennon if true..

On Benteke, the papers would have you believe he wants to join Spurs. There are reports that he is on £20k a week at Villa and a new contract did not reflect him single handedly keeping them up last season, hence he wants to leave and join AVB's Tottenham/Belgian revolution:D

Obviously this all comes from the same papers breaking the 'David Villa deal imminent' story..;);)

PS: GDS was a star player for Mallorca last season but they got relegated. I read that Villareal had overpaid for another Mallorca player in an attempt reduce the sell on fee to Spurs, might not be true though.

The ba$tards!

That is very smart if true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Ormus wrote: »
    The ba$tards!

That is very smart if true though.

Sounds like Levy got Levy'd!:D

Reportedly similar craic with the Rodriguez & Moutinho deal, apparently €69 million was paid for Rodriguez, with only €1 million on Moutinho, in order for Porto to avoid paying Sporting Moutinho’s sell-on fee..

My Sky Sports-esque he said/she said hyperbole might actually be coming true! :D

You'll see me sitting next to Jim White yet!

Sounds like Levy got Levy'd!:D

Reportedly similar craic with the Rodriguez & Moutinho deal, apparently €69 million was paid for Rodriguez, with only €1 million on Moutinho, in order for Porto to avoid paying Sporting Moutinho’s sell-on fee..

It does, where did the original info come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I mean someone like Ian wright / RVP

Defoe is a poor finisher

Poor finisher? I could pick 100 holes in his game but shooting isn't one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Defoe is a poor finisher

Wrong Mick.

Wrong Mick.

yes he is. If he wasnt then he would score 20 goals plus per season which he doesnt do.

Time and time again he finds himself in excellent positions and drives the ball straight at the keeper because he isnt able to finish i.e. place the ball in the corner of the net, he just blasts it

blasting the ball as hard as you can is not "finishing"

RVP finishes

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I don't think mick is wrong, Defoe can be a very poor finisher despite having a quality strike...how many times have we seen him squander opportunities on goal? While he can score in an instant, more often than not he needs chance after chance.

• Advertisement

yes he is. If he wasnt then he would score 20 goals plus per season which he doesnt do.

I don't think his finishing is bad, though his reading of a game is. If the likes of Teddy Sheringham had Defoe's pace and shooting ability you would have Ronaldo (the fat one).

Advertisement