Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I agree with mick. I could count on one hand the amount of times I've seen Defoe place the ball rather than belt it when he's scored a goal. And it's not as if he didn't have a choice either - he would have scored way more goals in his career if his first instinct wasn't to hammer it as hard as he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Ever wondered why we haven't seen those two young Croatian players in a Spurs jersey?

http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2013/7/10/4510286/tottenham-hotspur-transfer-rumors-halilovic-jedvaj?
    Croatian newspaper Sportske novosti is reporting that the deal is definitively off. It's also reporting that Roma has made an improved bid for Tin Jedvaj.

Reports are suggesting it's over personal agreement with the brilliant of the two players. Apparently, this 17 year old, wants €1.2m per annum, a house and schooling for his brothers. Yikes. I'd like to have his agent!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Agree with Mick, defoe needs 4 or 5 chances to score a goal, crap for a so called top striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

In soviet-russian, football team school you.

If Defoe could place a shot, he'd be a black Michael Owen.

• Advertisement

Ever wondered why we haven't seen those two young Croatian players in a Spurs jersey?

http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2013/7/10/4510286/tottenham-hotspur-transfer-rumors-halilovic-jedvaj?

Reports are suggesting it's over personal agreement with the brilliant of the two players. Apparently, this 17 year old, wants €1.2m per annum, a house and schooling for his brothers. Yikes. I'd like to have his agent!

Ah well, hopefully Levy will take that £20M from the 'promising talent' fund and put it into the infamous 'New striker' fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

SuprSi wrote: »
    I agree with mick. I could count on one hand the amount of times I've seen Defoe place the ball rather than belt it when he's scored a goal. And it's not as if he didn't have a choice either - he would have scored way more goals in his career if his first instinct wasn't to hammer it as hard as he could.

I judt find it amazing that not one manager he has had at junior, club or international level has been able to get that message through to him. Its clearly a flaw in his game but if it hasnt changed by now then it never will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

http://www.morpethherald.co.uk/sport/local-sport/football/echo-exclusive-sunderland-close-to-sealing-5million-deal-for-tottenham-star-huddlestone-1-5843019

"But a move could now to be tied up in the next few days, with Spurs understood to have accepted a price for the tough-tackling play-maker."

Tough tackling ? What a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

This is interesting, check out the aerial battles stat for Benteke.
    hi4Dkpx.jpg

yeah and check out his converstion rate :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

mickman wrote: »

The long ball game villa played must have a lot to do with those stats

Look at Benteke's stats compared to Chelsea's recent purchase Andre Schurrle. If Schurrle is worth £18m then Benteke must be worth £36m! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

mickman wrote: »

Only 4 on that list better than him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭golfball37

The long ball game villa played must have a lot to do with those stats

Villa are a passing side, Lamberts teams play football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Sounds like Huddlestone is off to Sunderland, a bad move for him in my book, the minute he misses a tackle or gets caught on the ball Di Canio will be down his throat!

Sounds like Huddlestone is off to Sunderland, a bad move for him in my book, the minute he misses a tackle or gets caught on the ball Di Canio will be down his throat!

No loss to us whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

TH never really fulfilled his full potential with us, not quick though to be a top PL player.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

id have much preferred to have kept thudd than parker or livermore. technically brilliant and a super passer. carried abit too much weight but always thought he'd be a star for us

id have much preferred to have kept thudd than parker or livermore. technically brilliant and a super passer. carried abit too much weight but always thought he'd be a star for us

he had plenty time and chances to become a star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

I'd pay to get livermore off our books...harsh but true.

• Advertisement

I agree, Thudd has had loads of time to prove himself, under several different managers who played different styles.

People talk about him carrying extra weight. Thats true. But whats that got to do with anything. If he lost a stone would he suddenly become more dynamic player, a better tackler, more mobile. No chance. He'd still struggle in those area's and wouldnt sudden become one of the top 5-6 CM's in the EPL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I agree, Thudd has had loads of time to prove himself, under several different managers who played different styles.

People talk about him carrying extra weight. Thats true. But whats that got to do with anything. If he lost a stone would he suddenly become more dynamic player, a better tackler, more mobile. No chance. He'd still struggle in those area's and wouldnt sudden become one of the top 5-6 CM's in the EPL

Any overweight player who loses weight becomes more mobile and more dynamic.

Of course it wouldn't turn him into one of the top 5-6 midfielders in the Premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Ormus wrote: »
    Any overweight player who loses weight becomes more mobile and more dynamic.

Of course it wouldn't turn him into one of the top 5-6 midfielders in the Premiership.

I believe Hudd is a great passer of the ball and his cameo in the home game against city showed us all that. However unfortunately he does not fit into the style we now are going to play and as has been pointed out is not mobile enough. I always referred to him as our quarter back midfielder spraying passes around when he had time on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

He too cumbersome, gets caught in possession and is a lazy tackler. Unfortunately never made the grade but had some good moments for us..

My point was, due to the traits above, I can see him on the receiving end of one too many kicks up the arse by Duce Di Canio!

KingdomYid wrote: »
    I believe Hudd is a great passer of the ball and his cameo in the home game against city showed us all that.

The problem with Hudd is he is only memorable for the odd cameo. Not great for a 7/8 year career with us.

Also, the thing about his cameos last season was the fact he only appeared half decent when the opposition team were camped in their own half (i.e. meaning we could see those quarter back attributes at their most fruitful). Though, any time he started a match, when the game was more open, he struggled.

As mentioned above, regardless of losing weight, he'll never be a top 5/6 midfielder.

Saying all that though, he comes across as a very sound bloke. So I hope he goes on an does well at Sunderland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

If Tom was playing regularly he could be a decent player for Sunderland. Even though we wish him well we have to be honest and admit he is not good enough for Spurs. If I was DL I would snap up that 5m and add 17 or 18m more to it and head straight to Birmingham and swap it for Benteke before any of the other money bags sides get him. Benteke may be a bit of a gamble at 20m+ but a gamble well worth taking imo. If we do sell a couple more of our squad players before window closes that could pay a big chunk more. I can see him ending up with the gooners, or liverpool after they get the Suarez money unless we act fast. Now DL and acting fast could be a big ask?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Before Tom broke his leg he was an absolute beast for us, definitely one of our best players with bags of potential..it's a shame the way things have gone, really a loan move last year to a mid to lower placed team would have done him the world of good.

One thing that really drives me crazy is seeing a player caught in possession from behind because their body and brain are too slow to cop on to the fact that it might happen

This happened Hudd time and time again

If weight was his problem then why didn't he lose it

• Advertisement

A Villa fan in Vegas....

969698_536457853056195_1447557317_n.jpg

Advertisement