Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I think he will defo join us but at the moment it looks like it will a typical deadline day signing with villa finally relenting on their sell on demands.

So lets all prepare for a bumpy first few games of the season --- again!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

mickman wrote: »

641fcffad4e8fa6a2abec3da6af71d66.gif

Kiith wrote: »
    641fcffad4e8fa6a2abec3da6af71d66.gif

Cant be worse than last year though. At the moment our starting 11 is strong

lloris

walker verts kaboul ---ekotto

lennon --- paulinho -- sandro--- dembele

bale

---adebayour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah that's a good starting 11 but I wonder whether AVB will play that way, and whether Dembele will be given a more attacking role or if he, Sandro and Paulinho will rotate in the middle?

--- Sandro/Paulinho --- Dembele ---
    Lennon
    Bale
    Siggy
    Ade

or

--Sandro
    Paulinho --
    Lennon ---- Dembele ---- Bale
    Ade

Hopefully they'll all have a full and injury free pre-season too, so whether or not all incomings are complete by the start of the season hopefully we'll start better than the last 2.

adebayours move has broken down due to wage demands

looks like we will be paying him 10 million for next two years to do nothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I think he will defo join us but at the moment it looks like it will a typical deadline day signing with villa finally relenting on their sell on demands.

Villa wont relent. They'd sooner keep him for another year on 20k a week than sell him in a world cup year. Lerner likes to think of himself as a tough negotiator but its more to do with stubbornness rather than guile. He'll be sold next year for less than we'd be willing to offer now ala Barry to City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Saab Ed wrote: »
    He'll be sold next year for less than we'd be willing to offer now ala Barry to City.

I dunno. With it being a World Cup year he knows Benteke will want to be playing and scoring. If Benteke justifies himself as a 20 goal a season Premier League striker and then goes on to get 3-5 in the World Cup, his price will be significantly hiked up.

I know there are two 'ifs' there. But the facts are, he's has a 20 goal season in a developing Villa side already and he's playing in the best Belgium team that has ever taken to the pitch (based on FIFA rankings).

I think Villa have a very strong negotiating position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

looks like we will be paying him 10 million for next two years to do nothing

Seriously? Consistent bashing of the big man is starting to grind on me. He had the best season he's ever had in 2011/2012 and fired us into 4th place. I don't subscribe to Arsenal/City fans BS that he only plays for a contract. He had a rough year last year, no pre-season, AFCON (bus full of team mates shot at the last and then Togo FA not paying players for this one), more injuries and then finally a bit of form. Looked good at the end of last season and yet people believe what the papers tell them, that he only did that someone would sign him... BS!

Seriously? Consistent bashing of the big man is starting to grind on me. He had the best season he's ever had in 2011/2012 and fired us into 4th place. I don't subscribe to Arsenal/City fans BS that he only plays for a contract. He had a rough year last year, no pre-season, AFCON (bus full of team mates shot at the last and then Togo FA not paying players for this one), more injuries and then finally a bit of form. Looked good at the end of last season and yet people believe what the papers tell them, that he only did that someone would sign him... BS!

What does the Togo FA have to do with spurs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

What does the Togo FA have to do with spurs ?

They were the cause of lots of headaches for Ade, first the bus attack, then all the corruption and fielding of a fake team in a friendly, refusing to pay money and bonuses as promised. Ade was in dispute with them as the money was going to his charities, remember it wasn't sure if he was going to go to the ANC last year. This all contributed to Ade's lack of form. To play well you need to be in good form mentally and get lots of encouragement, ala Bale

• Advertisement

They were the cause of lots of headaches for Ade, first the bus attack, then all the corruption and fielding of a fake team in a friendly, refusing to pay money and bonuses as promised. Ade was in dispute with them as the money was going to his charities, remember it wasn't sure if he was going to go to the ANC last year. This all contributed to Ade's lack of form. To play well you need to be in good form mentally and get lots of encouragement, ala Bale

None of the above is spurs's issue. Spurs employ and pay him very well, not Togo.

Like every other working person, he should leave his troubles where they belong and not let them affect his professional life.

At the end of the day, a game is 90 mins per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

The Toga bus thing was Jan 2010, the following year he then had "his best season ever in 2011/2012". So I don't think that argument carries as much merit as people think.

He did have little or no pre-season and when he came back in it was a bit stop-start with injuries and so on and If you look back at last seasons threads, nobody gave him much flak in his first month or two in the team last season. But then he had about 10 games on the trot under his belt and he was rubbish. Plain and simple. Rubbish. You wouldn't mind if he was like Rebrov or Postiga - at least they tried hard and although the goals never came, they contributed to the overall team performance. Playing with Ade was like playing with 10 men in some games.

Anyway, getting back to the topic in hand.

Would love to see us move for Jackson Martinez. Averaged a goal a game for Porto last season and with 11 goals in 12 matches, he beat the record of former Porto strikers Radamel Falcao,Lisandro López and Hulk, and they haven't done too bad.

Like every other working person, he should leave his troubles where they belong and not let them affect his professional life.

IMPOSSIBLE!

Football is 80% psychological. If you're not in the right frame of mind preparing for the game you won't be in in the right physical/mental shape when the ref blows the whistle. End of. The pressure he was under could cause serious subconscious effects such as stress - resulting in fatigue and other less visible injuries.

By the way, I'm in the 'I have faith in Ade' camp... :D

The Toga bus thing was Jan 2010, the following year he then had "his best season ever in 2011/2012". So I don't think that argument carries as much merit as people think.

Being involved in a shooting the way he was would leave scars on anyone for the rest of their lives, just because he coped with it then doesn't mean he was over it.

None of the above is spurs's issue. Spurs employ and pay him very well, not Togo.

At the end of the day, a game is 90 mins per week.

You'll never make a manager. He's a footballer, not a CEO

Being involved in a shooting the way he was would leave scars on anyone for the rest of their lives, just because he coped with it then doesn't mean he was over it.

I agree, that why I said that argument doesn't carry "much merit" as opposed to "no merit". Anything like that will have an effect on someone forever and if that's what was effecting him last season, then it will most likely effect him this coming season too.

Nobody's argueing that the man isn't talented or that he's had a rough 24 months but I can't understand why he could turn it on for a few games last year - away in Milan, @ home to arsenal, vs Chelsea and be p1ss poor in the game before, in between and after those mentioned games.

You'll never make a manager

Don't squash mickman life long dreams just like that!

I agree, that why I said that argument doesn't carry "much merit" as opposed to "no merit". Anything like that will have an effect on someone forever and if that's what was effecting him last season, then it will most likely effect him this coming season too.

Nobody's argueing that the man isn't talented or that he's had a rough 24 months but I can't understand why he could turn it on for a few games last year - away in Milan, @ home to arsenal, vs Chelsea and be p1ss poor in the game before, in between and after those mentioned games.

All the more reason for the fans to get behind him cos it looks like he's staying. Let's end this negativity and push him into being the player we know he can be

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I see the point yer trying to make lads, however what stands out for me is : he's a liability and unreliable, that filters through the team so all the more reason to move him on if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

All players go through tragedy. Defoe for one and what Palacios went through with his brother was hardcore. I've a feeling were stuck with the colossus lump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I think most of us have an issue with the level of effort Ade seemed to be applying to his performances for most of the season. There's no doubt he's talented and when interested can be a very good striker, but last season he just didn't seem interested. Whether he was actually interested but had some mental issues, or perhaps he was injured, or maybe he just wasn't interested at all - whatever happened, he was more of a hindrance to the team than anything.

Regardless of what he was going through, most of us would've been happy if he at least made an effort. Look at Dempsey - less skilful than Ade but you'd see plenty of fans happy enough with his shift because he puts a lot of effort in. And to be fair it paid off in that he scored some crucial goals, most of which came about because he was making a nuisance of himself. If Ade had been interested and had even just run around a bit, it's highly likely he would have scored more goals.

If he could get back to the form we've seen him capable of, I'd be more than happy for him to stay. However, I think he's too much of a liability and if an offer comes in that's acceptable to all, he should go.

Villa fans all excited. Something very positve about to be announced according to a Villa ITK. Bet its a Benteke contract extension.

Maybe they got rid of Bent. :D

Apparently, today, we're "locked in talks" over a £20m bid for Soldado.... Oh, and a £20m bid for Bernard..... Oh, and a £20m bid for Benteke.

Jesus, the papers really can make that £20m, and Daniel Levy, stretch.

I really do hate this part of the season.

Benteke has just withdrawn his transfer request and signed a contract extension.

...... Read payrise/ increased value / allowed to leave next year.

Next striker rumour please.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

ITK should be renamed as either IKN or Manuel, the know nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

city have signed jovetic too.would dzeko be out of our wage structure?

• Advertisement

Clint change the game Dempsey to lead the line again !!

Advertisement