Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Happy enough with the Chadli signing today but like the rest of us i won't sleep soundly until we sign at least 1 more striker.
    Hard to think of obvious names off the top of my head but........
    Vucinic(juventus)
    Cisse(newcastle)
    Gameiro(psg)
    Diouf(hannover)
    Would/Should all be available to us for reasonable signing fees.
    Of course we don't know whats going on inside the boardroom regarding tranfers but hopefully Baldini and Levy will pull off a real coup and get the top guy we need up front.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Why haven't we been linked to Fred yet? he's brazilian, AVB was in brazil, both speak portuguese, seems like a done deal to me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Why haven't we been linked to Fred yet? he's brazilian, AVB was in brazil, both speak portuguese, seems like a done deal to me :P

He's supposed to have a release clause of £1.7!!!!!!
    Surely worth a punt for that money

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Re: Fred, I dunno... Something's not right about him leaving Lyon. They released him when he refused to return from Brazil, something along the lines of when Tevez went to strike. Don't think he will leave south america again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Would love to see Bale as a striker ala Ronaldo at Madrid... Can anyone imagine him playing left back?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd also be wary of seeing Bale as our lone striker. He'd always be in an attacking midfield position, and we'd have no one sitting ahead of him. As we saw from last season, he needs to be played in behind a goal scorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Just get Jonas form Valencia.
    Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

The Soldado rumour keeps hanging around. To be honest, I'm not going to get my hopes up about it. I think Bale could do a good job as the central player in a front three.

That would give us three senior striker options with Kane and Obika as reserve options.

Below, is probably the way the AVB, DL, Baldini and the Spurs board look at the squad. The players in italics and red are probably too weak for where we want to be, but are squad players.

Strikers: Ade, Defoe, Bale, Dempsey, Kane, Obika.

Wingers: Bale, Lennon, Townsend, Dempsey, Chadli, Holtby, Siggy.

Midfielders: Sandro, Paulinho, Dembele, Holtby, Siggy, Carroll, Huddlestone, Parker, Livermore.

Centre Backs: Dawson, Vergie, Kaboul, Caulker.

Full Backs: Walker, BAE, Rose, Naughton, Smith, Vergie, Kaboul.

If anything, I think we need a young centre back as cover for the four we have there.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

The Soldado rumour keeps hanging around. To be honest, I'm not going to get my hopes up about it. I think Bale could do a good job as the central player in a front three.

That would give us three senior striker options with Kane and Obika as reserve options.

Below, is probably the way the AVB, DL, Baldini and the Spurs board look at the squad. The players in italics and red are probably too weak for where we want to be, but are squad players.

Strikers: Ade, Defoe, Bale, Dempsey, Kane, Obika.

Wingers: Bale, Lennon, Townsend, Dempsey, Chadli, Holtby, Siggy.

Midfielders: Sandro, Paulinho, Dembele, Holtby, Siggy, Carroll, Huddlestone, Parker, Livermore.

Centre Backs: Dawson, Vergie, Kaboul, Caulker.

Full Backs: Walker, BAE, Rose, Naughton, Smith, Vergie, Kaboul.

If anything, I think we need a young centre back as cover for the four we have there.

Never again use this nickname please!!!

1069833_10151713847779914_802172398_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

1069833_10151713847779914_802172398_n.jpg

its great to slag arsenal when they've followed those guidelines,paid for a New stadium and still finished above us every season

Never again use this nickname please!!!

That's the influence of the London-based Spurs forums on me.

Can't get excited at the prospect of Bale playing as an out and out striker myself. Sure he might be capable of 15-18 EPL goals there but I reckon he'd score a dozen anyway while playing high and wide on the left/right, in a free role or in behind the main striker and still create enough openings and assists for another top striker to get 20+ goals.

You want him running with the ball from deep on counter attacks, skinning players down the touch line or pulling players around the park with clever decoy runs etc, not standing on the halfway line with his back to goal and get lumps kicked out of him by a pair of CB's for 90 mins every week.

There's a little fella who goes by the name of 'Messi' playing for Barca. He plays the striker role and rarely stands on the halfway line waiting with his hands on his hips.

If Bale takes up the central role of the front three, he's not going to be an old fashioned number 9. The game has changed and AVB is creating a fluid 4-3-3 with a box to box midfield and a pacey and dynamic forward line. Following last season's transformation of Bale in to a central role, I'm less concerned about getting a number 9. We're not playing 4-4-2 any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

There's a little fella who goes by the name of 'Messi' playing for Barca. He plays the striker role and rarely stands on the halfway line waiting with his hands on his hips.

Bale is more like Ronaldo than Messi, need to be running in space, shooting from range.

I've given up on the No.9 signing being a big name, look at it logically i.e. without the media BS. Paulinho and Chadli, two months ago I didn't know who these guys were. This form tells me any signings will be good prospects, not proven stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irritablebaz

an itk on the spurs community forum is linking us with a bid under 7 million for remy. all very underwhelming and then he has that court case hanging over him in september.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

itk's are seldom more than attention seeking losers who have about as much insider information as you or I

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irritablebaz

yep usually the case but just passing on anyway, personally i dont want him. injury prone and lazy with a bit of an attitude. we already have one of those.

"Nacer is a player who we have been following for quite some time so we are very happy [to have agreed a deal]," Villas-Boas said. "He is a versatile player who can play in different positions up front. He has played with tremendous success on the left for Twente and as an attacker for Belgium. So we look forward to having him on board with us because he is another great addition to our squad.

"We will continue to do our business. We have not stopped for sure."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

"Nacer is a player who we have been following for quite some time so we are very happy [to have agreed a deal]," Villas-Boas said. "He is a versatile player who can play in different positions up front. He has played with tremendous success on the left for Twente and as an attacker for Belgium. So we look forward to having him on board with us because he is another great addition to our squad.

"We will continue to do our business. We have not stopped for sure."

Yeah that is an interesting comment. Looks like the busiest summer we have had in a while. Lots of rumours of having 50 million to spend, we have spent 25 on Nacer and paulinho so that leaves 25 if this rumour is to be believed.

Cant see him spending all that on one player

Would that be from the bag marked 'new striker fund' or the one marked 'new young prospects' :D

• Advertisement

Would that be from the bag marked 'new striker fund' or the one marked 'new young prospects' :D

bit of both :-)

i really hope we dont sign remy , the guy is trouble and not all that good. Defo wont offer us anything better than what we have

We still have a couple of players to offload too, so that could add to the fund...although why certain players haven't been sold yet is a bit beyond me..

We still have a couple of players to offload too, so that could add to the fund...although why certain players haven't been sold yet is a bit beyond me..

we were prob offered 4.95 mililon for hudd but we are holding out for 5mill

Tottenham Hotspur sporting director Franco Baldini is in Valencia to try and seal a deal with forward Roberto Soldado
    - Sky Sports

Does anybody know if Soldado is good at holding the ball up? I like him as a finisher, but the 4-3-3 really depends on the focal point (the striker) being able to bring the wingers/supporting midfielders in to the game.

Does anybody know if Soldado is good at holding the ball up? I like him as a finisher, but the 4-3-3 really depends on the focal point (the striker) being able to bring the wingers/supporting midfielders in to the game.

He plays as front striker in a Valencia 4-2-3-1, he's the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

He's a quality striker, no doubt about it. Don't know whether he'd be any good at holding the ball up, but to be honest I'd much rather he could just put the ball in the net as often as possible as that's what we've missed more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

He plays as front striker in a Valencia 4-2-3-1, he's the real deal.

Im excited now! Rumors Liverpool are in for him as well, Id imagine the thoughts of being supplied by Bale and recognition of AVB from his porto days would weigh things in our favour?

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Im excited now! Rumors Liverpool are in for him as well

I'd say this is what has Baldini over in Valencia. Once Liverpool sell Suarez they'll have the cash to out-bid us. I'd say DL realises that the prospect of Suarez leaving Liverpool is getting more realistic every passing day.

• Advertisement

can anyone see levy spending 25 million on a 28 year old ??

Advertisement