Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I have to admit, having watched a fair bit of him in La Liga last season, I'd love him at Spurs. Yes he's 28 and will be very expensive but he certainly knows how to put the ball in the net. There isn't much else to his game but that's exactly what we need, someone who will stay in the box ready to pounce on the numerous chances we create every game. Very excited!!

Another thing, this would be a huge signing for the club, both in terms of the player and in what it does for the profile of Spurs. Holding on to Bale, signing a current Brasil international midfielder and then signing one of the best current Spanish strikers in his prime - not something you'd have associated Spurs with but it really would do the brand a great service.

Mr. Bale - if Soldado signs, I hope this is enough evidence to prove the club is ambitious and it makes you to want to sign a new deal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I too would be delighted if we get Soldado, but I'm worried about getting my hopes up only for Soldado to agree a new deal with Valencia in the morning.

Yes, Roberto Soldado will cost us £26m, but I think he's worth every penny - based on his goalscoring record.

If you compare Roberto Soldado's goalscoring record for the last three seasons compared to Fernando Torres' last three seasons before coming to England, it's pretty impressive..... and Torres was a bloody revelation when he moved to Liverpoool.

Torres
    04/05 - played 38, scored 16
    05/06 - played 36, scored 13
    06/07 - played 36, scored 14

Soldado
    10/11 - played 34, scored 18
    11/12 - played 32, scored 17
    12/13 - played 35, scored 24

In all three seasons he played fewer games than Torres and scored more in each season.

In his last 141 games he's scored 81. This guy is a goal scorer!!

As someone said before, regardless of age, United bought goals when they signed RVP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

I got a bad feeling about this...are we spending the bale money upfront before we flog him shortly?..hope I'm wrong

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

damned if you do, damned if you don't...DL and spurs just can't win :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Dont buy a striker, Levy is cnut, Buy a striker, Levy must be selling Bale and is still a cnut.

Yeah there is the worry that this will all be funded by selling Bale, but hopefully not. The noise from the club has been that Bale is not for sale at any price, and it'd be great to have him in the squad, along with Soldado and any other signings we bring, with AVB at the helm for just one season, just to see what could happen.

Honestly, if we perform like last year, with Sandro and Kaboul back, the addition of Paulinho and added a proper international striker ala Soldado, the sky's the limit!

Apparently the meetings from yesterday were due to resume at 12:00 CET, which is now! Imagine if things go well, we could have an announcement today! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

With regards to Torres, a majority of his goals in his last season with Atletico were penalties...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I got a bad feeling about this...are we spending the bale money upfront before we flog him shortly?..hope I'm wrong

I think it is an amazingly clever strategy. Financial fair play is an average over three years so selling Bale year two is the same financially as year one. However, selling Bale year two having spent the money year one means there is a real chance for the club to establish itself year one. Would Paulinho or (hopefully) Soldado be coming if Spurs were in the news for selling their best player and without CL football? Surely a big attraction for Soldado is the service he will get from Bale.

If Spurs make CL football next year, and there is a real chance with Bale still on board and the team strengthened elsewhere (with all the big teams in some sort of flux), there will be extra funds and CL to attract a decent replacement for Bale. What if, God forbid, the club moved to an entirely different level and had better sponsorship, CL funds, etc. Maybe Bale would be the replacement for Bale? (Ok I'm losing the run of myself here :D)

All in all I think Levy is Martin Edwards and David Dein rolled into one.

• Advertisement

I don't necessarily agree. This Summer the new TV deal was launched, which if it is to be believed, each Premier League club got £40m.

Two seasons ago, Harry's last season in charge, we made a net profit of £35m.... while last season we broke about even (thanks to the sale of Modric and VDV).

I'm not assuming all the TV money goes in to the transfer kitty, but lets just say £15m does.... that gives us the £50m everyone is talking about.

So far we've got Paulinho (17m) and Chadli (6m) = £23m.

Fingers crossed, next is Soldado (25m) and Lopez (8m) = £33m.

So, in order to break-even (which isn't a necessity for a growing club) we need to sell £5m worth of player.

Rumoured/likely sales

Huddlestone - £5m
    Gomes - £2m
    Parker - £2m
    Khumolo - £1m

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

I don't necessarily agree. This Summer the new TV deal was launched, which if it is to be believed, each Premier League club got £40m.

Two seasons ago, Harry's last season in charge, we made a net profit of £35m.... while last season we broke about even (thanks to the sale of Modric and VDV).

I'm not assuming all the TV money goes in to the transfer kitty, but lets just say £15m does.... that gives us the £50m everyone is talking about.

So far we've got Paulinho (17m) and Chadli (6m) = £23m.

Fingers crossed, next is Soldado (25m) and Lopez (8m) = £33m.

So, in order to break-even (which isn't a necessity for a growing club) we need to sell £5m worth of player.

Rumoured/likely sales

Huddlestone - £5m
    Gomes - £2m
    Parker - £2m
    Khumolo - £1m

you're hired!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Paulinho commented he was convinced of Spurs ambition because they have committed to keeping their best players i.e. Bale. The opportunity to play with one of the best players in the world is obviously a big draw for any player.

But I'll tell you why Bale won't be sold this window:
    1. we've just released our new kit, imagine the number of fans that have or intend to buy new jerseys with Bale on the back
    2. The pic I posted of Time Sq, that's Bale in the new jersey as the face of ESPN
    For both of these reasons selling Bale would be a commercial disaster for the club.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

...and we got some £££ from the GDS sell on

Some more info on our recent singing Nacer Chadli....

I know anybody can write anything about anybody on the internet, but I like what I'm hearing here...

http://blog.footballrascal.com/spurs-sign-the-new-ronaldo/?
    You are probably wondering where the Ronaldo comparison comes from? It is nothing to do with Chadli’s slight facial resemblance to the Portuguese Adonis, but it is to do with his physical attributes. The Belgian stands 6ft 2ins tall, weighing in at 85kgs, which is almost identical to Ronaldo. Chadli’s playing style is similar, as he goes past opponents using his pace and strength in a similar fashion.

The comparisons don’t stop there; Chadli has great composure, technique, scores the odd free-kick and has a cannon of a right foot. But let’s get this right – he is a little way off being as good as Ronaldo is, but at only 23-years-old, he has enough time to realise his potential.

The Belgian’s statistics last season make impressive reading with the attacking player having got 10 goals and 5 assists in 22 Eredivisie league games and 6 goals and 6 assists in 10 Europa League games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 3m
    Soldado's agent confirms that Valencia have rejected Tottenham bid of 26m€ + adds-on

Sure we wouldn't be Spurs if these things went smoothly....

Confirmed by Saldados agent apparently. Baldini on his way home after not reaching a deal. Still hoping it can be worked out though. Think he would be great for us.

Reports: Soldado's agent confirms that Valencia have rejected Tottenham bid of 26m€ + adds-on..:eek::eek:

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

balls. back to square 1 AGAIN.

just buy suarez already

Short enough board meeting.... maximum an hour long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Seeing us spend this money and hearing AVB say we are not finished yet, I have to admit I was thinking the same as some others on this thread that we might be selling Bale. This may be just the pessimistic streak in me.
    I think AVB has been assured Bale will not be sold and thats good enough for me. Spurs last season had the best team I have ever seen, in my lifetime except for one or two positions which are now being righted(hopefully Soldado is going to happen). Will have to have a punt on Spurs for premier league at 33/1. When you look at these odds in comparison to Liverpool and Gooners who are both shorter odds it looks a decent punt. After all that I am just listening to sky talking about Bale heading to RM and again AVB denying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

hearing some twitter rumours that bale is about to hand in a transfer request..cant be true can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Paulinho commented he was convinced of Spurs ambition because they have committed to keeping their best players i.e. Bale. The opportunity to play with one of the best players in the world is obviously a big draw for any player.

But I'll tell you why Bale won't be sold this window:
    1. we've just released our new kit, imagine the number of fans that have or intend to buy new jerseys with Bale on the back
    2. The pic I posted of Time Sq, that's Bale in the new jersey as the face of ESPN
    For both of these reasons selling Bale would be a commercial disaster for the club.

Great post, and I believe that Bale will still be here next season based on these reasons.

mickman wrote: »

"According to the report in Spanish sports daily Marca":rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

"According to the report in Spanish sports daily Marca":rolleyes::rolleyes:

its just marca up to their usual baseless bs story to sell papers.i wouldnt give them gimps ANY credability

we are doing unusual business though. two players in already and soldado possibly

something is different

lets hope its just levy giving AVB all the backing he needs

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

we are doing unusual business though. two players in already and soldado possibly

something is different

lets hope its just levy giving AVB all the backing he needs

Getting a bit worried now.
    Look at the maths - Paulinho 17m, Chadli 7m, Soldado 26?m
    Knowing Levy he will want to balance the books.
    Someone will have to be sold.

OR is this the year he finally backs the manager/club by letting go of the purse strings.

Getting a bit worried now.
    Look at the maths - Paulinho 17m, Chadli 7m, Soldado 26?m
    Knowing Levy he will want to balance the books.
    Someone will have to be sold.

OR is this the year he finally backs the manager/club by letting go of the purse strings.

levy would never let go of the purse strings without being able to cover the costs, ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

levy would never let go of the purse strings without being able to cover the costs, ever

So Mickman are we saying "goodbye" to Bale then.

Advertisement