Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

That's a shameful way to do business if true. I do hope we're better than that.

School of Levy I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

gar wrote: »
    School of Levy I'd imagine

he's probably trying to find out who they're replacing soldado with so he can buy him instead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

Pulled this of a spurs supporters page on FB, take it with a pinch of salt

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Club Ireland

LATEST ON THE SOLDADO DEAL - According to a variety of reliable sources on twitter, Baldini met up with the Valencia representatives again today. They discussed a deal for Soldado and agreed a fee. However Baldini realised that Valencia had already got a player ready for Soldado's replacement and he lowered his transfer offer at the last minute. Currently nobody knows if this new offer has been accepted or not but Baldini is currently making his way back to England.

More info as it comes in

That sounds like the biggest load of made up sh1te ever...how could anyone even know this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

slegs wrote: »
    That sounds like the biggest load of made up sh1te ever...how could anyone even know this

" According to a variety of reliable sources on twitter"

Sounds water tight to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Read my post a few pages ago and you'll see how easily we'll balance the books without selling Bale.

Had a look and although the stats add up it will never happen. Basically you are saying the 35m profit we made two seasons ago will now be used in this transfer window along with 15m of the tv money to give us a total of 50m.
    Do you really think levy will use 100% of that profit 2 seasons ago with the new stadium plan about to be put in place?
    I would love it if he backed the team in the market without having to sell our best players but history has taught me otherwise eg Carrick, Berba, Modric....

But say we do get Soldado and hold onto Bale ..... jesus what a team we would have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

slegs wrote: »

Well said sir, I know this is a gossip thread but the credibility some people give to anything which is on the Internet is comical.

People giving out about Levy selling Bale based on an article in Marca. MARCA.

People giving out about Joe Lewis not 'loosening the purse strings' when we've spent 24m already this summer and have apparently bid 22m plus add ons for a 28 year old!

And finally people giving out about the negotiating morals of Baldini based on an article which can only have been written by a sleuth like journalist from inside Baldini's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Do you really think levy will use 100% of that profit 2 seasons ago with the new stadium plan about to be put in place?

Based on my vast experience of playing Championship Manager, yes! :)

Though seriously... I assume match day revenues, sponsorship revenues, retail sales revenues, image right revenues and the majority of the TV rights revenues go towards the day-to-day running of the club and future capital expenditure plans. Leaving profits from player sales to be reinvested in to the squad.

Pulled this of a spurs supporters page on FB, take it with a pinch of salt

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Club Ireland

LATEST ON THE SOLDADO DEAL - According to a variety of reliable sources on twitter, Baldini met up with the Valencia representatives again today. They discussed a deal for Soldado and agreed a fee. However Baldini realised that Valencia had already got a player ready for Soldado's replacement and he lowered his transfer offer at the last minute. Currently nobody knows if this new offer has been accepted or not but Baldini is currently making his way back to England.

More info as it comes in

Did nobody read the first line of my original post. I know its BS. I said it was BS from the off!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Sensational stories sell papers,Funny how MARCA print the biggest transfer deal of the summer on the same day barcelona name their new manager.....
    I have no doubt that Bale is interested in Madrid,who wouldnt be?But just like the Berbatov and Modric transfer sagas its us that hold all the cards.hes under contract,we dont need to sell plus the fact that we're buying very good players should mean that he gives us at least 1 more season.Fingers crossed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

I don't necessarily agree. This Summer the new TV deal was launched, which if it is to be believed, each Premier League club got £40m.

Two seasons ago, Harry's last season in charge, we made a net profit of £35m.... while last season we broke about even (thanks to the sale of Modric and VDV).

I'm not assuming all the TV money goes in to the transfer kitty, but lets just say £15m does.... that gives us the £50m everyone is talking about.

So far we've got Paulinho (17m) and Chadli (6m) = £23m.

Fingers crossed, next is Soldado (25m) and Lopez (8m) = £33m.

So, in order to break-even (which isn't a necessity for a growing club) we need to sell £5m worth of player.

Rumoured/likely sales

Huddlestone - £5m
    Gomes - £2m
    Parker - £2m
    Khumolo - £1m

Throw the €5.4m UEFA gave us on top of that!;);)
    http://hereisthecity.com/2013/07/23/uefa-give-209m-to-europa-league-teams-but-how-much-did-uk-clubs/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Valencia say that 26 million buy out clause has to be met with all money front

This would make him more expensive than van Persie and both are same age

I think we should drop out know and I think we will. He is too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I agree, £26m is too much for someone unproven in the PL. As mickman said, Van Persie cost the same amount and Utd knew exactly what to expect from him in the PL.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Does anyone actually think that RvP's real value is £24 million?? Even now he's worth a lot more than that. The reason United got him on the cheap was because he was in the last year of his contract. Arsenal couldn't afford to play hard ball and risk losing him for nothing.

Valencia don't have to accept this offer, he's contracted to them until 2017. We should know more than anyone that in the current day strikers come at a premium. We're probably going to have to overpay, will it be worth it? I haven't a clue. But I do know it's a risk worth taking. I can only imagine what position we'd be in now had we a Soldado at our club for the last 4 seasons.

mickman wrote: »
    Valencia say that 26 million buy out clause has to be met with all money front

Valencia will be forced to sell anytime before the window closes if we meet the terms of the buy out clause, that's why we're underbidding, they could be forced to sell late August and possibly be stuck with no replacement.

Valencia will be forced to sell anytime before the window closes if we meet the terms of the buy out clause, that's why we're underbidding, they could be forced to sell late August and possibly be stuck with no replacement.

Good point

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irritablebaz

agree with others and think we are paying too much for soldado anyway. hopefully we move on and get another striker in.

that said this could all be late posturing from valencia, i dont think anyone else will match our offer. when they realise this and recieve another call from the taxman they may change their tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Or someone else comes in and buys him while we haggle over the last couple of million. Then its back to the drawing board unless we have a good back up plan if we don't get Soldado. Would be good to have a striker in place in time for some pre-season. We could save 2 million and drop points in August because of it. Buy him now.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Or someone else comes in and buys him while we haggle over the last couple of million.

It's too late for Soldado to join the HK Tour now, next game is Monaco August 3rd, the day Salvo says it's the buy out clause or nothing. I'd say we have a week to tease them into a deal. Nobody else has made an offer, Soldado wants to join Spurs and Liverpool are not in Europe which is vital for him in a World Cup year.

I'm still convinced this will happen. Just a bit of brinksmanship in the offing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

It's too late for Soldado to join the HK Tour now, next game is Monaco August 3rd, the day Salvo says it's the buy out clause or nothing. I'd say we have a week to tease them into a deal. Nobody else has made an offer, Soldado wants to join Spurs and Liverpool are not in Europe which is vital for him in a World Cup year.

I'm still convinced this will happen. Just a bit of brinksmanship in the offing.

I like your confidence and hope you are right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just pay the money already i say. We literally haven't shut up for 3-4 years about getting in a quality striker, and there's one on our doorstep now who is a proven goalscorer (albeit not in the PL) and we're squabbling over a few million.

I'm all for being prudent, but enough is enough. Sign him while we have the chance.

• Advertisement

Fairly quiet on the Bale stories this morning as expected.
    Would be more comfortable if we got some sort of direct quote from the man himself or his agent.

As for the other fella, agree that 28M is a big risk for a player not proved in the EPL unlike RVP. Would be more comfortable with a figure of around 20M, at least if it didnt work out you'd get a fair chunk of it back if she went back to Spain with 12-18 months.

yeah all AVB has said is "we are counting on bale staying"

Not a word from bale himself,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

yeah all AVB has said is "we are counting on bale staying"

No need. If Real do actually bid 100 million quid then he's gone, let there be no doubt. There isn't a team in the world that would turn down an offer like that.

Agree with Saab Ed, no need for him to come out and say it. Plus, from his point of view, Real will most likely be his future employers at some stage in the future.... no point in biting the hand that will one day feed.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    No need. If Real do actually bid 100 million quid then he's gone, let there be no doubt. There isn't a team in the world that would turn down an offer like that.

I was thinking about this today. I was wondering what would the pros and cons be of Spurs saying something like "we value him at £120m (performance/merchandising etc.), if you are not prepared to offer that amount, then we are not going to listen to an offer".

It's a ridiculous figure, but it would be a clear statement of intent. Plus it would put the ball firmly back in Real's court. And, hopefully, it would take a step closer to shutting Marca up.

I was thinking about this today. I was wondering what would the pros and cons be of Spurs saying something like "we value him at £120m (performance/merchandising etc.), if you are not prepared to offer that amount, then we are not going to listen to an offer".

It's a ridiculous figure, but it would be a clear statement of intent. Plus it would put the ball firmly back in Real's court. And, hopefully, it would take a step closer to shutting Marca up.

That could be the case already. I'm sure Levy and co are fully aware of Bale's value, not just in terms of his potential selling price, but he's the face of the EPL in the US (thanks to ESPN) and his stock across Europe is huge, which means Spurs stock is getting bigger. Bale's value to the Spurs brand is massive, and I think this is one of the main reasons Levy seems keen to invest this season because if we can get a striker like Soldado at the club and get into the CL next season, there's a decent chance that Bale will stay, which in turn makes Spurs even more valuable.

Plus, Marca will continue to print their BS until the transfer window closes, regardless of what Bale or anyone says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I say take the gamble with soldado. Lets face it, how many strikers of his calibre do we have a sniff of getting? Anyone else a little younger or proven in another league would be attracting the the attention of all of the big clubs around europe.

If hes a flop hes a flop (which i dont see happening) and we take the hit and sell him back to spain in 18 months for have the fee. But hes a goalscorer and that is exactly what we need.

I would much rather spend 30 million on him than 15 on some unproven 22 year old whose meant to be the next big thing

I think we're too close for this deal to fall apart, aparently the board recommended Valencia accept our offer only for the president to reject it. Soldado was interested in joining us last year and I doubt much has changed.

I can see Soldado and Lopez joining up with the squad when they arrive back from HK. Like Chadli they're too late to register for the tournament anyway. I can see Defoe being sold too.

You reckon we'll get both Lopez and Soldado? I haven't seen anything of Lopez so don't know what he's like, but what sort of price is he going for? I agree about Defoe. Plus, he'll want to play first team football with the WC next year.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    You reckon we'll get both Lopez and Soldado? I haven't seen anything of Lopez so don't know what he's like, but what sort of price is he going for? I agree about Defoe. Plus, he'll want to play first team football with the WC next year.

I do, Lopez was close to signing last January, scores every one in two albeit in the French and Portugese league. Lyon bought him for €20m four years ago but he's now 30 and in the last year of his contract, €5-6m should do it. He's already said he's leaving.

That said he could be an ideal replacement for Dempsey, similar kind of player. Whoever we can sell I guess?

Advertisement