Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I do, Lopez was close to signing last January, scores every one in two albeit in the French and Portugese league. Lyon bought him for €20m four years ago but he's now 30 and in the last year of his contract, €5-6m should do it. He's already said he's leaving.

That said he could be an ideal replacement for Dempsey, similar kind of player. Whoever we can sell I guess?

Has there been a lotta talk about Lopes recently? Haven't noticed much myself.

Why do we need to replace Dempsey? Good squad player in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I'm sure he's sick of repeating himself, I'd be liable to snap if I were him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Exactly, and unless Bale signs a new contract he's going to be asked the question in every single press conference until the transfer window closes.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    Exactly, and unless Bale signs a new contract he's going to be asked the question in every single press conference until the transfer window closes.

well its a simple question, did bale ask to leave or not !

It may be a simple question but the answer could have huge ramifications. If AVB announces that Bale has asked to leave, there will rightly be a media frenzy which will make things very difficult for the club. Immediately Spurs could have upwards of £60m to spend, prices for targets go up, etc, etc.

It could also be the case that Bale asked the leave but the club have asked that they be given a chance to show how ambitious they are, hence the pursuit of an expensive player like Soldado.

As it is, for the time being it's best to keep anything like this quiet. I'm not particularly worried about Bale as I just can't see him leaving this summer, but I am worried that Liverpool will go for Soldado, especially if Suarez gets his wish as they'll have a massive chunk of cash to spend and we all know Liverpool aren't afraid to spend big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

As I understand it a player who is sold gets a cut of the transfer (such as the balance of his existing contract paid up) providing he didn't ask for the transfer in the first palce. Given we are talking about a possible world record transfer fee would any sane individual ask for a trasnfer when it is pretty certain the club will be pressured with offers anyway.

Plus didn't Bale extend his contract only last year? He would have signed that knowing full well Modric had to toe the line in similar circumstances (and with probably less time to go on his contract than Bale has).

Everybody chill, Bale will be staying where he is until it is better for Spurs to move him on.

More ITK, pinch of salt as usual;
    @DuncanCastles: Roberto Soldado asks Valencia to let him join Tottenham. #THFC #LFC #VAL #ESP http://t.co/oJc7qeN3o0

Roberto Soldado has asked Valencia president Amadeo Salvo to come to a compromise with Tottenham over a transfer fee. Speaking earlier on Wednesday, Salvo said that "Soldado can go if he wants - for €30million and under our conditions", but has been pressed by the Spain international striker to allow a switch to the Premier League at a more reasonable valuation.

Having lost Soldado's compatriot David Villa to Atletico Madrid, Tottenham are increasingly confident of completing what would constitute a club-record transfer deal. Soldado, 28, has scored 59 goals in 101 La Liga appearances for Valencia over three seasons and has six goals from his 11 full internationals for Spain.

"It's not a lie to anybody that we've been looking for a striker to strengthen our squad and to have more strength in depth,” said Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas this week. "Roberto is one of the players we have been following and his career speaks for itself. He's a great striker. But there isn't a deal being struck at the moment, it's just interest and conversations."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Bale surely wouldn't ask submit a transfer request? Surely has more respect for Spurs than that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Lads, if he wants to go, we shouldn't stop him. We should, firstly, do everything in our power to try and convince him to stay, and secondly, get top dollar. But if he wants to go, let him.

The respectful to do would be to submit a transfer request, as that would mean he wouldn't get his share of the transfer fee. We would also be looking at - absolute minimum - £60 million. Based on our spending over the past few seasons, I have full confidence that that money would go straight into our transfer kitty.

Let me just make this crystal clear by the way, I want him to stay, if he keeps developing like he has been, he'll be one of our greatest ever players, certainly the greatest player of the PL era. But if he wants to leave, he has probably expressed that desire a number of months ago, and as such, it's absolute stupidity by the board to keep him this long.

For that reason, I don't believe he wants to go. It just doesn't make any sense. Levy should have learned from the Modric situation that if a player wants to leave then there isn't much that can be done. It unsettles the whole club. But if Bale wanted to leave, I don't think he would have went to Hong Kong, and I don't believe he would have allowed himself to be the poster boy for our new jerseys plus all the other advertisement campaigns.

If he has suddenly changed his mind about staying, than I think we should look to get min £80 million as compensation for him being an arsehole, but again, I'm fully confident come September 1st Bale will be a Spurs player.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Napolia signed Higuain & Jackson Martinez for €40m EACH..
    there goes 2 more of our options if the saldaldo deal (probably) falls through :-(

Re: Bale

More pseudo-ITK stuff, but if we're gonna believe everything else we may as well believe this too. I know it's the truth that I'm gonna cling to! :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2377258/Spurs-offer-Gareth-Bale-massive-pay-deal-80m-rated-winger-clutches-Real-Madrid.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Re: Bale

More pseudo-ITK stuff, but if we're gonna believe everything else we may as well believe this too. I know it's the truth that I'm gonna cling to! :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2377258/Spurs-offer-Gareth-Bale-massive-pay-deal-80m-rated-winger-clutches-Real-Madrid.html

Sounds like BS. He signed a new contract 2 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭madarekrap

I think that Bale is destined to leave this Summer unfortunately, but at least Levy will get huge money for him... I have resigned myself to losing him so if he stays it's a bonus! On the upside you could get a lot of great playerts for the money Bale would bring in, and you don't need to spend €40m a go to get decent players, look at the smaller clubs around Europe that get these lads in for nothing and sell them for huge money after a year or two...

Sounds like BS. He signed a new contract 2 months ago.

I don't think he did. Last season maybe, but not 2 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

madarekrap wrote: »
    I think that Bale is destined to leave this Summer unfortunately, but at least Levy will get huge money for him... I have resigned myself to losing him so if he stays it's a bonus! On the upside you could get a lot of great playerts for the money Bale would bring in, and you don't need to spend €40m a go to get decent players, look at the smaller clubs around Europe that get these lads in for nothing and sell them for huge money after a year or two...

He's going nowhere. This stuff sells newspapers, nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

SuprSi wrote: »
    I don't think he did. Last season maybe, but not 2 months ago.

If memory serves correctly his two most recent contracts weren't far from each other.

I checked the news reports though and they report that story on the 20th May.

besiktas say that adebayour can still happen. They said they will travel to london to agree deal and the only thing holding it up is adebayour wanting clarity on whether they will play in europe or not

since when has adebayour been so interested in playing ?

They have been given initial permission to play in europe but a final decision will be made on august 30th so looks like it will be a last minute deal with adebayour actin up at the final minute and staying in london to draw his wages

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

If we sell Bale to Madrid, would we get Contreao + £50m?
    If so, id take that, then get Nani for £7m,Cisse for £14m, Soldado for £26m.
    And sell a few, quids in...;)

• Advertisement

good point. If we get an offer for 80 million then he has to go, pure and simple.

Contreao is not worth £35m..... why would we not look to get £85m or more?

Nani has a poorer attitude than Adebayor.

I think we should keep Bale.

Buy Soldado for £26m and then offer £6m for Gary Hooper. I know people might gasp at the Hooper shout, but he's a goalscorer. He has Champions League goals in a poor team. And more Champions League goals than Jermain Defoe. Hooper could learn a thing or two from Soldado and then take over as the number one striker at the Lane in a couple of years.

Contreao is not worth £35m..... why would we not look to get £85m or more?

Nani has a poorer attitude than Adebayor.

I think we should keep Bale.

Buy Soldado for £26m and then offer £6m for Gary Hooper. I know people might gasp at the Hooper shout, but he's a goalscorer. He has Champions League goals in a poor team. And more Champions League goals than Jermain Defoe. Hooper could learn a thing or two from Soldado and then take over as the number one striker at the Lane in a couple of years.

gary hooper the number 1 striker at spurs - come on man

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

This thread gets funnier by the hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Bring back Gary Doherty :-)

mickman wrote: »
    gary hooper the number 1 striker at spurs - come on man

Just playing devil's advocate, but he has a better Champions League pedigree than Jermain Defoe..... and yet how long has JD been our number one striker.

I'll admit, I don't actually want Gary Hooper as our No. 1 striker one day.... but he could be a handy purchase to bolster the central striking options in a 4-3-3.... he'll guarantee you goals in the League Cup and Europa Cup.

I don't think enough people on here have read or seen Moneyball. We're not the New York Yankees.

I saw this on football365 earlier...

Soldado-statistics_2977139.jpg

Great stats though I think he scored a fair few penalties last season as well, not that Defoe or Ade are capable of scoring penalties anyway! I particularly like how many he scored from inside the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

The lack of headed goals in those stats is startling. I would go back to Villa for Benteke I think. He actually attacks crosses as well as being more than capable on the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Deise Vu wrote: »
    The lack of headed goals in those stats is startling. I would go back to Villa for Benteke I think. He actually attacks crosses as well as being more than capable on the floor.

But those Spaniards tend to keep the ball on the ground, four seems a decent return. He can stick them away when he needs to.... ;);)

Advertisement