Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

You can't replace Bale. There's only about 10 players who could replace him and we haven't got a hope in hell of signing any of them. In term of club profile and marketing you cannot put a price on him.
    They need to offering him 200k a week or give some sort of guarantee that 50-60M will be spent on the squad this summer.

We are nothing without Bale. We have a few tidy players like Dembele, Sandro and Verts but we are ordinary everywhere else and we are cooked if he leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

THFC wrote: »
    Which is absolutely nothing because it's a nothing newspaper. The Times isn't exactly reliable either. And, with all due respect, if Liverpool are our only contenders for Soldado then we can afford to dither. Liverpool is no longer an attractive proposition for foreign players, for British and Irish players it may be, but not for players from the continent, especially with AVB at the helm.

:p No one signs Irish players any more in the top division (even the Championship isn't much interested!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

You can't replace Bale. There's only about 10 players who could replace him and we haven't got a hope in hell of signing any of them. In term of club profile and marketing you cannot put a price on him.
    They need to offering him 200k a week or give some sort of guarantee that 50-60M will be spent on the squad this summer.

We are nothing without Bale. We have a few tidy players like Dembele, Sandro and Verts but we are ordinary everywhere else and we are cooked if he leaves.

Bingo, 99% of the time our creativity comes from him, take away that and were lacklustre and pedestrian. I'd fully agree with offering him 200k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Ponder this. If and when Bale signs his new contract, presumably it'll be for gaga numbers. Now that's gonna change everything with regards to the expectations of the fans.

Previously he's been over achieving, growing better and better, outstripping our expectation. This though changes everything. Now we'll expect, week In week out. Now he has to deliver. Now the preasure lies solely on his shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

That's a bit harsh on the rest of the team. True Bale is world class but the rest hardly just make up the numbers. We had the best/one of the best midfields last year when Sandro/Dembele were playing. Lloris is a fine keeper, Kaboul & Vers will be a top class cb pairing, Ade on his day (i know i know) is unplayable etc.
    We are short up front but other than that we have a fairly decent side with ( for the first time in ages) a strong second string. One or two more decent transfers and we will have a great season.

If Bale goes for 60-80m and Levy puts the money into the transfer kitty who knows what standard of players we could bring in. Would love him to stay obviously but after listening to AVB this morning saying contract talks are ongoing with Bale, I feel a strong offer from RM and Levy will take the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Ponder this. If and when Bale signs his new contract, presumably it'll be for gaga numbers. Now that's gonna change everything with regards to the expectations of the fans.

Previously he's been over achieving, growing better and better, outstripping our expectation. This though changes everything. Now we'll expect, week In week out. Now he has to deliver. Now the preasure lies solely on his shoulders.

He pretty much did that last season.

I wouldn’t fully agree with that Ed. I think he strives on the pressure and likes being number one, I don’t think our fans are suddenly gonna start grumbling about his performances if they suddenly put him on a whopper contract.

He’s fully deserving of it, he ran riot last season scoring freakish goals. Our squad is only getting better but still lacks any magical creative players in the middle of the park who do it week in week out. And our defence still looks rather shabby which I’d be more worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I completely agree with DL's approach by putting a ridiculous price tag on Bale. From a psycholgical (we don't want to appear like a selling club), marketing/financial and performance point of view he is worth more than the £85m being thrown around in the press, to us.

I think giving him a new contract will just put an end to the rumors of a transfer to RM this season. If we don't make CL next season I think he will definitely be gone, regardless of a contract. Though I guess he will get a larger chunk of the transfer fee if he signs a new contract now.

I think it's wrong to say we are nothing without bale. Yes, he's the third best player in the world and yes, those three best players are by far the best because they can create a goal out of nothing. Though, over the past couple of years the strength of our squad has been growing significantly - Lloris, Vertonghen, Walker, Sandro, Paulinho have all been linked to 'bigger' teams worldwide. Not forgetting the likes of Lennon, Kaboul and Dembele who would all be snapped up by a couple of our top four competitors, if they came available.

Finally, look at how far we've come. This year we've bid around £20m for Bernard, Soldado and Dzeko.....and none of us have batted an eyelid. That's after we spent a club record on Paulinho. I think if we could sign Lopez, Dzeko/Soldado and Toby Alderweireid....we'd be complete for the season.

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

I completely agree with DL's approach by putting a ridiculous price tag on Bale. From a psycholgical (we don't want to appear like a selling club), marketing/financial and performance point of view he is worth more than the £85m being thrown around in the press, to us.

I think giving him a new contract will just put an end to the rumors of a transfer to RM this season. If we don't make CL next season I think he will definitely be gone, regardless of a contract. Though I guess he will get a larger chunk of the transfer fee if he signs a new contract now.

I think it's wrong to say we are nothing without bale. Yes, he's the third best player in the world and yes, those three best players are by far the best because they can create a goal out of nothing. Though, over the past couple of years the strength of our squad has been growing significantly - Lloris, Vertonghen, Walker, Sandro, Paulinho have all been linked to 'bigger' teams worldwide. Not forgetting the likes of Lennon, Kaboul and Dembele who would all be snapped up by a couple of our top four competitors, if they came available.

Finally, look at how far we've come. This year we've bid around £20m for Bernard, Soldado and Dzeko.....and none of us have batted an eyelid. That's after we spent a club record on Paulinho. I think if we could sign Lopez, Dzeko/Soldado and Toby Alderweireid....we'd be complete for the season.

COYS!

bale is gone next year regardless of where we finish unless its 1st which isn't goin to happen.all these bids are bids levy nearly knows won't get accepted. I've heard of no bid for Bernard.he bid £22 million for soldado knowing an extra £4 million wouldve been accepted.i know its £4 million but we've needed a striker for years and if his goal got us champions league who'd care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    This year has been the worst on record for inaccurate reporting on players, it's gone into hyperdrive. There's gossip and then there's gowl, twitter is as reliable as a used tampon.

Exactly. Spurs seem to be the no.1 target for these stories this summer as well but it's been growing for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Rumours afoot that the Soldado deal has been completed:cool:

"Valencia's Financial Director has announced in-club that Soldado has been sold to Tottenham"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Rubbish.

It would be a blow if he left, a big blow, but teams survive without their best player and it's never as bad as it seems.

Arsenal finished in the same position in the league after selling RvP and replacing him with Giroud! They didn't even have Wilshere fit all season.

Spurs finished in the same position without Modric.

United didn't score 40 goals less per season when they sold Ronaldo.

Teams quickly evolve so as not to depend on what they've lost.

Our squad is in great shape overall. Bale would be a big loss and would probably put paid to whatever slim slim hopes we might have of winning the title, but we'd still be realistic candidates for top 4, especially if we managed to spend some of the £80m before the start of the season.

Imagine if we bought Bernard, Soldado, Eriksen and Huntelaar.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irritablebaz

not sure how many of you are familiar with the coys website and the famous potl but here is his latest bit of itk.

On Bale contract- we're a lot further down the line with this than you may be aware. terms are agreed- fine details to be agreed on. HWBTPFS.

Soldado- Daniel in HK, but is now negotiating directly with Valencia- Andre top target- belief we can agree fee.

Dzeko- Nonsense- we havent bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

not sure how many of you are familiar with the coys website and the famous potl but here is his latest bit of itk.

On Bale contract- we're a lot further down the line with this than you may be aware. terms are agreed- fine details to be agreed on. HWBTPFS.

Soldado- Daniel in HK, but is now negotiating directly with Valencia- Andre top target- belief we can agree fee.

Dzeko- Nonsense- we havent bid.

POTL is the least reliable ITK ever! He's always coming up with stuff and never gets it right, yet it never deters him. Never believe anything he says.

http://www.marca.com/2013/07/26/en/football/real_madrid/1374823857.html

Such rubbish from Marca. So easy to see it's just made up to satisfy the readership.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Wow, Marca really have good connections, must have been Levy himself that provided those quotes!!!!

Wow, that's unreal. That's some of the worst BS I've ever seen on an official newspaper during the transfer window ever!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Ormus wrote: »
    Rubbish.

It would be a blow if he left, a big blow, but teams survive without their best player and it's never as bad as it seems.

Arsenal finished in the same position in the league after selling RvP and replacing him with Giroud! They didn't even have Wilshere fit all season.

Spurs finished in the same position without Modric.

United didn't score 40 goals less per season when they sold Ronaldo.

Teams quickly evolve so as not to depend on what they've lost.

Our squad is in great shape overall. Bale would be a big loss and would probably put paid to whatever slim slim hopes we might have of winning the title, but we'd still be realistic candidates for top 4, especially if we managed to spend some of the £80m before the start of the season.

Imagine if we bought Bernard, Soldado, Eriksen and Huntelaar.

Spurs finished 4th with modric and 5th without him albeit with more points.
    I believe we would be a very ordinary side without bale. If we did re-invest after selling bale it would probably be at inflated prices. DL tell RM go fcuk yourselves and your special relationship cos Bale aint for sale this summer.

AS English ‏@English_AS 13m

The Sun: Spurs reject Real Madrid bid of 93.8 million euros for Gareth Bale http://as.com/diarioas/2013/07/27/english/1374926306_535628.html

If it's true, and I have my doubts, that's a lot of money to reject!

Edit: Didn't even read the article because it's the sun but they in it they said Di Maria could be included. I know it's the Sun, so they're probably adding 2+2 and getting 5, but Di Maria would be some coup! Excellent player with an excellent work rate, like a much better version of Kuyt. Again, can't see it happening, but it's nice thinking about it :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

AS English ‏@English_AS 13m

The Sun: Spurs reject Real Madrid bid of 93.8 million euros for Gareth Bale http://as.com/diarioas/2013/07/27/english/1374926306_535628.html

If it's true, and I have my doubts, that's a lot of money to reject!

Edit: Didn't even read the article because it's the sun but they in it they said Di Maria could be included. I know it's the Sun, so they're probably adding 2+2 and getting 5, but Di Maria would be some coup! Excellent player with an excellent work rate, like a much better version of Kuyt. Again, can't see it happening, but it's nice thinking about it :o

RM will be stupid to break the world record for Bale.

Hasn't got the marketability of Ronaldo or talent (imo). Ronaldo has it all. Pace, power, skill, aerial ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

RM will be stupid to break the world record for Bale.

Hasn't got the marketability of Ronaldo or talent (imo). Ronaldo has it all. Pace, power, skill, aerial ability.

Ye Ronaldo is unbelievable but Bale is young enough and can improve over the next couple of seasons. I still believe Gareth will be with us next season until I see different. Go away Madrid. I told you he is not for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

Lots of Twitter stuff coming from reliable sourcs in Valencia that Soldado deal is very close and could be announced tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

slegs wrote: »
    Lots of Twitter stuff coming from reliable sourcs in Valencia that Soldado deal is very close and could be announced tonight

the same was said last night

I've found that business never seems to get done over the weekend.

@CastingCouch one of the main reasons Bale is valued so high is his marketability. He's the face of the PL in the States.

You just know he's going to sign for someone else! All the ITK's will swear it's done and dusted and out of nowhere Liverpool or another team will have signed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Lots of word on Twitter about this, word is that interest came in from Lpool and we met their demands, 30m, in installments, 15m payable straight away. Believe it if you want

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

I've found that business never seems to get done over the weekend.

@CastingCouch one of the main reasons Bale is valued so high is his marketability. He's the face of the PL in the States.

Since when?

I don't see him selling shirts.

Could be word about the transfer after Valencias friendly with AC Milan, the negotiations have resumed.

That isn't from twitter nonsense either. As slegs said it's reputable. The Spanish News Agency EFE.

http://www.efe.com/efe/noticias/espana/deportes/valencia-tottenham-acercan-posturas-por-soldado/1/28/2093009

English Translation:

Reports in Spain this evening suggest Tottenham have resumed negotiations with Valencia over signing Spanish striker Roberto Soldado.

Spurs sporting director Franco Baldini was spotted in Spain earlier this week but returned to London without sealing a deal after it became clear Tottenham were unwilling to meet Soldado’s release clause of 30 million euros.

Spanish news agency Efe reports that negotiations have resumed on Saturday and there could well be news regarding the transfer this evening after Valencia’s friendly with AC Milan.

Soldado has returned to Valencia pre-season training today after joining up with the club late following his participation with Spain at the Confederations Cup.

Liverpool, along with Spurs, were rumoured to be in for Soldado this week but the Merseyside giants were unlikely to move unless Luis Suarez left Anfield.

There have also been suggestions that the 28-year-old striker has already agreed terms with Tottenham and is eager to play in the Premier League.

• Advertisement

Did Soldado train/play with the team this weekend?

Advertisement