Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

He got Levy'd, word has it he has to pay to use our great facilities :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Weird. 5-6 years ago when he broke into the England squad he was awesome, reminds me of Kanoute. Lots of talent but never really applied himself.

Haha, some sh1te from DM. Ade in Bale deal. I've heard it all now.......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...fload-Emmanuel-Adebayor-Gareth-Bale-deal.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

sure they have to keep stirring the "world record transfer deal" pot & keep the gullible idiots who buy the rags believing their ever word

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

20 million a year would be a terrible deal for us

Need this to end very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Haha, some sh1te from DM. Ade in Bale deal. I've heard it all now.......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...fload-Emmanuel-Adebayor-Gareth-Bale-deal.html

Ha, that link appears to be gone. I'd say it went to the presses before the editor got to read it and then when he saw it he said "jesus, we can't even post that kind of sh!t"... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The fact that Bale has played only one pre-season game is a worry, not just for what it means in terms of the team getting used to each other, but in terms of his sharpness and fitness. I reckon Chadli will start the game against Palace and Bale won't even be on the bench, especially if he doesn't play this weekend.

Yeah. I agree. The only positive thing is that he is one of those guys who is just naturally fit so it won't take too long to get back to peak condition once he is back in training.

Equally as concerned about our other players who haven't had much of a pre-season. CB mainly, made worse by the fact that Sandro isn't back to protect them either. I read yesterday that Verts is back running and think he will be fit for the opening game but I'm not sure AVB and the physio staff agree with him.

Yeah that is a big worry. Kaboul isn't ready yet (afaik), Dawson was injured in the last game and Verts is obviously still out. Caulker was sold - I wonder if the club is regretting that move now! Hopefully Dembele and Paulinho can have the same sort of partnership that Dembele and Sandro had as that will definitely help the defence out a lot

• Advertisement

I hope we don't panic buy some 2nd rate CB now just because we are caught short but at the same time, with 7 days to go even if we bought a quality replacement for Caulker it's going to be a big ask of him to slot into the team with hardly any time in training with his new teammates nevermind game time.

Could see us doing something like offers Gallas a 3 month contract or something. Holy Jayzus.

Heh it's funny as we always seem to be short of personnel in one key place at the start of the season. Last season it was a striker, this season it's a CB. I don't think letting Caulker go before that Hungarian dude was signed was particularly smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

SuprSi wrote: »
    Heh it's funny as we always seem to be short of personnel in one key place at the start of the season. Last season it was a striker, this season it's a CB. I don't think letting Caulker go before that Hungarian dude was signed was particularly smart.

There's always a back up, don'tpanic.

Could be worse. We could be Arsenal there's a complete meltdown in their thread over on the SF in the last few days over the lack of transfers and the whole Suarez gig.

Makes me (almost :D) proud of how DL and his team have done this summer. Fair dues to them we got the signings in early compared to previous summers and maybe 1 or 2 still to come. Just plain unlucky with the CB injury crisis at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Capoue might be a good centre back, although I've never seen him play there

Interesting piece on him here. Personally i hope we do sign him asap.

http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2013/8/7/4598788/etienne-capoue-tottenham-hotspur
    Many people are suggesting that Capoue may be being brought in to provide cover for Spurs in central defense. While it's true that Capoue has played in the center of defense before, 5 times last season and, according to football-lineups.com, 27 times in his career as a whole. That's almost a full season's worth of game at center back. It's not an unfamiliar position to the French international, but it is most certainly not his best position.

Lots of talk of a fee being agreed for Coentrao with us using the Modric debt as payment.

Yikes, that'd be some deal and it would show beyond a doubt that RM cannot afford Bale. Coentrao would be a great option at left back. Maybe not brilliant defensively but superb in attack.

Is there any top FB's out there these days that can defend soundly. Seems like a lost art.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Coentrao is a more than capable defender for PL level, only teams I see him struggle against are the elilte teams, and Dortmund last year really targeted him so he was made to look a lot worse than he actually is. I don't think there's a FB capable of doing a decent job against Gotze, Kuba and Reus, especially when you're only cover is Cristiano "too good to defend" Ronaldo. Coentrao would be an excellent buy. I'd stake anything on it.

• Advertisement

Lots of talk of a fee being agreed for Coentrao with us using the Modric debt as payment.

With / without bale ?

mickman wrote: »
    With / without bale ?

No mention of Bale.

This is a good article by ESPN, some are starting to show us some respect
    Over the past few seasons, Spurs have rather looked like they were playing catch-up in the transfer market. Holding out too long for non-existent bargains and failing to fill key positions as a result. But credit where credit is due: whether Gareth Bale moves to Real Madrid or stays at White Hart Lane, Tottenham's management team have played a blinder over this particular transfer saga.

First the facts. Some Spurs fans have refused to countenance the possibility that the Welshman wants to leave the club and have put down every rumour to mischief-making by unreliable reporters with too much space to fill. Untrue. The speculation may have been overdone at times, but Bale does want to leave. His head may have been turned both by his agent and by the sweet-talking from the Bernabeu, but it has been turned. He believes his time has come to cash in: and in simple financial terms he has absolutely right. His price may never be as high again. So Levy and the Spurs board haven't been playing some imaginary game of high stakes poker with their biggest asset. It's been the real deal throughout and they've won almost every hand.

Critical to this has been the signings of Paulinho, Chadli and Soldado. For once Spurs have moved relatively early in the transfer market and it's kept them well ahead of the game. Not just because the squad has had time to settle in and get to know one another, but because it has meant that Levy couldn't be put under any pressure by Real Madrid as Spurs already had a far stronger squad than the previous season, regardless of whether Bale stayed or not.

Sure, the squad would have been even better with Bale in it - and everyone connected with Spurs would rather the Welshman stayed - but it was perfectly strong enough. Spurs didn't need to worry about Bale leaving the club near transfer deadline day followed by a last minute scrabble for a few replacements, because the replacements had already been found.

All of which meant that Levy could hold out for exactly what he wanted. Predictably he has chosen to play hardball and hold out for £100 million, but the real genius in the proceedings has been the Spurs director, Sir Keith Mills, who earlier this week said: "We very much want Bale to stay. But if a player is desperate to leave, it's very difficult to force him to stay. We've seen it in other clubs. Even if he has a contract, you can't force somebody to play for you."

How much more gracious can you get? 'We're not stopping a player going anywhere'. It's the first time in decades that Spurs have appeared utterly reasonable in a transfer negotiation.

No wonder Real Madrid are looking somewhat wrong-footed. They are now the party that has to put up or shut up. Spurs' position is utterly clear. The club wants Bale to stay but won't be obstructive if he really wants to go and Real pay the going rate. Bale wants to go, so it's up to the Spanish club to find the cash. Not some long-term instalment plan - Real still haven't finished paying off Spurs for Luka Modric - but real money. Or real money and a prized asset, such as their 20-year-old striker, Alvaro Morata. If Real's first offer was £85 million -- an absurdly high figure, but then they chose to offer it -- why wouldn't Levy test their resolve to see if a second, even more absurdly high figure, will be forthcoming?

The other piece of brilliance in Mills' remarks is the pressure it now puts on Bale himself. He can't now moan to anyone that he's being forced to stay at the club against his will. Spurs have taken the moral high ground. There's a sentence I never thought I'd write.

What's more, Bale is going to have to be gracious from now on. He can't afford to have a Modric-style sulk. Modric could get away with it because he had nothing really invested in Spurs or the UK. Bale does. Part of his appeal has been the way he has actively engaged with the Spurs fans and even, if he does go to Madrid at some point, he will eventually come back to live in the UK.

So he doesn't want to get a reputation for being a bit of a prima donna. He's made his case to leave as he is entitled to; now he has to knuckle down and accept whatever outcome transpires. He can't get away with too much more diva-ish 'I can't play because my head isn't right' nonsense. Not least because if Spurs start looking like a winning team without him, then his value to Real might start going down rapidly. And my bet just now? I don't think Real will come up with the money. So Bale will stay and Levy will end up smelling of roses. You'd have got very good odds on that particular double a fortnight ago

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tottenham/id/1138?cc=5901

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

THFC wrote: »
    I don't think there's a FB capable of doing a decent job against Gotze, Kuba and Reus

Lahm didn't do too badly against them... ;)

THFC wrote: »
    Coentrao is a more than capable defender for PL level

How is fixed for a spell at CB 'cos thats where he might end up for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Lahm didn't do too badly against them... ;)
    Lahm wasn't left burtally exposed, both Robben and Ribery did a considerable amount of tracking back, plus Martinez and Swheinstieger are far better defensively than Alonso and Khedira. Ronaldo was clearly never asked to track back, because he never did, and he was often Real's highest player up the pitch when they were defending.

I've no doubt in my mind, Coentrao would prove to be an excellent signing.

Ninja Edit: Lahm was actually RB iirc, Alaba was LB.

We're getting more respect:

The two Premier League teams with genuine sporting directors are the ones who have appeared most prepared in the market

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/aug/09/transfer-window-analysis-sporting-directors

Looks like the Capoue deal is almost over the line.

BBC sports have a small piece claiming a deal has been reached, he is having a medical and it should be announced today or tomorrow.

Happy Dayz

edit - the DM are saying is complete.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2387956/Etienne-Capoue-joined-Tottenham-8-6m.html

We're getting more respect:

The two Premier League teams with genuine sporting directors are the ones who have appeared most prepared in the market

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/aug/09/transfer-window-analysis-sporting-directors

Interesting article indeed

My issue is though if bale is sold then will we replace?if we do then it will be a panic buy

Or will be bank the money abd buy in January

I think if the deal is brokered with RM then we should be looking to get a few players on LOAN out of it.

That way we still get 90-95% hard cash for Bale AND we get players to strengthen the squad, possibly a replacement for Bale and reduce the risk of taken some player who flops and then we are stuck with them.

Better chance too that the RM player been swapped as part of the Bale deal will agree to a year long loan rather then a permanent transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Well if RM still owe us twenty million for Luka and AVB rates him thats gotta be a good deal as left back was a weak spot for us all of last season.

I'd liken Coentrao to Zabletta

Advertisement