Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options
  • 25-02-2011 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Been a hearing a good bit of gossip about who's coming in the summer so I thought it's probably about ime to start time to start a thread.

Just found this today;

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b8gx5
    Metro wrote:
    The Spurs boss said Adam's recent performances – which included a goal against the London club this week as Blackpool triumphed 3-1 – had sent his stock rising.
    800423568_7074278-596x362-1298479941958_304x185_inline.jpgCharlie Adam is wanted by Spurs and Liverpool (PA)
    However, Redknapp predicted a difficult time for any club looking to prise the Scottish midfielder away from the Tangerines, particularly after boss Ian Holloway dug his heels in over any deal during the January transfer window.
    'He made the right decision to stay with Blackpool for the rest of the season,' Redknapp said of Adam.
    'Blackpool have been good to him and I think he probably owes that to Blackpool, to try and keep them up this year.
    'I'm sure at the end of the year there would be plenty of clubs who would be interested in him.'
    Liverpool and Spurs were both understood to have made bids during the January transfer window, with Harry Redknapp reportedly just minutes away from clinching the deal as the window shut.
    Sir Alex Ferguson was also rumoured to be interested in taking the player to Manchester United, with Blackpool resigned to losing the player in the long-term but determined to extract maximum value for his services.
    Adam has bagged nine goals this season, with his range of passing and influential play in the middle of the park attracting the attention of the top clubs.

Despite our abundace of talent in CM atm I think he would be a very good signing. For whatever reason Van der Vaart doesn't seem to be able to complete 90 minutes on a regular basis and he would be an ideal replacement for him. He would also be able to replace Modric, or even partner him in the centre for when teams shut us shop against us. The only thing is he could come at a hefty price considering Liverpool are interested, and also Man United (reportedly). Personally I don't think we should pay over €15m for him, and I would even question it if we got him for that. I would be delighted if we got around the €12m mark though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

I dont think we need Charlie Adam, we do have an abundance at CM. VDV just needs a good pre-season under him and we will see him get full fitness and finishing games all the time. Adam did score a penalty against us agreed but i dont see what it is about him that warrants the prices that have been quoted for him.
    This summer we should have one priority and that is securing a striker of some talent. I dont want fabiano, too old and seems to have a bit of a pre madonna thing about him, would love Benzema as first choice, at the minute our strikers are pish and i would even take Drogba and that says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

top of the list:

A TOP CLASS STRIKER. (at least one)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I see a striker we were linked with before, Sanchez from Udinese, scored 4 goals today against Palermo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Cianan2 wrote: »
    I see a striker we were linked with before, Sanchez from Udinese, scored 4 goals today against Palermo!
    He's a winger. Don't think we'd have much of a chance with him tbh, United tried him in Jan afaik. I be over the moon though if we got him!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

We've been linked with Bojan recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Micah Richards in the BBC gossip column again.

Decent enough - an improvement on both RB's playing at the moment but for €15 I'd rather spend the cash on a striker and give walker his chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Micah Richards in the BBC gossip column again.

Decent enough - an improvement on both RB's playing at the moment but for €15 I'd rather spend the cash on a striker and give walker his chance.

I agree. Have Walker compete with Corluka for the RB slot, with Kaboul as an emergency alternative. Hutton looks to be on the way out come June.

In any case I can't see City selling or Richards looking to leave. He has played regularly this season, and played well so even if City bring in a new RB I can see him staying to fight for his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Anyone think Zigic might be worth a look?

ziedth wrote: »

No.. we need a World class striker, not a poor Crouch impersonator.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Zigic isn't bad, but we need someone a lot better. This is the time to go out and splash some cash and bring in a big name. We are in desperate need of a regular goalscorer upfront.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Arry and Big Sam came over to Cork to have a look at him in 2006 when Zigic was at Red Star. Red Star were playing City in the CL qualifier at Turners Cross. Red Star were looking for 10m for him but after when asked by the local media Arry said he was a 2m player :D
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    No.. we need a World class striker, not a poor Crouch impersonator.

A very poor one at that ;)

From the bright lights of Suarez, Benzema and Fabiano to the dark shadows of Zigic!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

Watched the last 15mins of Stuttgart v Benfica.
    Luisao (CB) and Franco Jarro (another Modric) were class.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Are you having a laugh....

Dave11 wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh....

Not at all, I'm just opening it up to the floor. I'm thinking of cover if and when we off load crouch/Pav or both come the Summer.

Doyle if Wolves go down? He might be happy being on the bench of a big team as he's 28 in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

what you guys think of that croatian lad ollic(spelling) i taught he was pretty good last year for b munich ran his socks off and scored a fair few goals everytime i saw him might be worth a punt for cover up front

Ivica Olić I just looked him up. Decent enough stats but he is 32 in the summer, bit past it maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

maybe your right i didnt think he was that old. hopefully harry will splash the cash in the summer. we really need a 20-25 goals a season striker if we're really going to push on to the next level..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I see we are linked with a move for drogba if we got him it might be unpopular and a short term solution but I'd say he could do some damage.

I see we are linked with a move for drogba if we got him it might be unpopular and a short term solution but I'd say he could do some damage.

It was only a matter of time before we were linked with him. Ideally I'd like a younger striker but Drogba would be a good signing for a season or maybe two, at least from an on-field point-of-view. He is the type of player that Harry makes feel 10 feet tall and would get the best out of. You would worry that his on-field whinging and moaning would have a negative impact after a while though.

• Advertisement

From a personal point of view I'd hate it but glasses off it make all the sense in the world if we could get him.

I see the BBC are saying that Fergie is going in for Bale with a 30M offer in the summer. He's sure lost it if he thinks we'd accept anything under 50m.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

Loads of names being knocked around every day, but is there any 2 or 3 players ye think we can realistically get that would make an impact?

wellboys wrote: »
    Loads of names being knocked around every day, but is there any 2 or 3 players ye think we can realistically get that would make an impact?
    IMO Benzema is a very realistic target. Mourinho does't seem to like him very much and the only reason he's playing is because Higuain is injured. I very much hope we make a bid in the summer because I reckon he'd have a very long look at it.

Saw this on the soccer fourm, would you have anyone?

Robbed from a few different sources so hopefully its up to date. Some interesting players available.

Notable Players whose contract expires in Summer 2011

Premiership
    Arsenal
    Manuel Almunia (33, Goalkeeper)

Aston Villa
    Luke Young (31, Defender)
    Nigel Reo-Coker (26, Midfielder)
    John Carew (31, Forward)

Birmingham
    Sebastian Larsson (25, Midfielder)
    Lee Bowyer (34, Centre Midfielder)
    James McFadden (27, Forward)

Blackpool
    David Vaughan (28, Midfielder)

Bolton
    Johan Elmander (29, Forward)

Chelsea
    Jose Boswinga (28, Defender)

Fulham
    Zoltan Gera (31, Midfielder)
    Danny Murphy (33, Midfielder)

Man Utd
    Owen Hargreaves (30, Midfielder)
    Michael Owen (31, Forward)

Newcastle
    Kazenga Lua Lia (20, Forward)

Tottenham
    William Gallas (33, Defender)
    Jonathan Woodgate (31, Defender)

West Brom
    Marek Cech (28, Defender)
    Jonas Olsson (28, Defender)
    Giles Barnes (22, Midfielder)

West Ham
    Rob Green (31, Goalkeeper)
    Jonathan Spector (25, Defender)
    Matthew Upson (31, Defender)
    Victor Obinna (23, Forward)

Wolves
    David Jones (26, Midfielder)
    Michael Kightley (25, Midfielder)

Other players from Europe of note
    Alesandro Nesta (34, Centre defender, AC Milan)
    Andrea Pirlo (31, Centre midfielder, ac milan)
    Anthony Vanden Borre (23, Right back, right winger, Genk)
    Banel Nicolita (Steaua Bucharest)
    Hamit Altintop (28, Right midfielder, B. Munich)
    Luis Garcia (32, Midfielder, Panathanaikos)
    Marek Jankulovski (33, Left Back, Milan)
    Mario Santana (29, Right Winger, Fiorentina)
    Massimo Ambrosini (33, Centre midfielder, AC Milan)
    Miroslav Klose (32, Striker, B. Munich)
    Oscar Wendt (26, Left Back, FC Copenhagen)
    Phillipe Mexes (28, Centre defender, Roma)
    Piotr Trochowski (26, Attacking midfielder, Hamburg)
    Pippo Inzaghi (37, Striker, Milan)
    Reto Ziegler (25, Left back, Sampdoria)
    Ruud van Nistelrooy (34, Striker, Hamburger)
    Sylvain Marveaux (24, Left winger, Rennes)
    Taye Taiwo (25, Left back, Marseille)
    Thomas Hubschmann (29, Midfielder, Shakhtar Donetsk)
    Tim de Cler (32, Defender, Feyenoord)
    Vicente (29, Left winger, Valencia)
    Zlatan Muslimovic (30, Striker, PAOK)

Saw this on the soccer fourm, would you have anyone?

Robbed from a few different sources so hopefully its up to date. Some interesting players available.

Notable Players whose contract expires in Summer 2011

Premiership
    Arsenal
    Manuel Almunia (33, Goalkeeper)(notable players? :D)

Aston Villa
    Luke Young (31, Defender) Decent squad player if Hutton is kicked out
    Nigel Reo-Coker (26, Midfielder)
    John Carew (31, Forward)

Birmingham
    Sebastian Larsson (25, Midfielder)
    Lee Bowyer (34, Centre Midfielder)
    James McFadden (27, Forward)

Blackpool
    David Vaughan (28, Midfielder)

Bolton
    Johan Elmander (29, Forward)

Chelsea
    Jose Boswinga (28, Defender)

Fulham
    Zoltan Gera (31, Midfielder)
    Danny Murphy (33, Midfielder)

Man Utd
    Owen Hargreaves (30, Midfielder)Would be great except for injury reputation
    Michael Owen (31, Forward)

Newcastle
    Kazenga Lua Lia (20, Forward)

Tottenham
    William Gallas (33, Defender)
    Jonathan Woodgate (31, Defender)

West Brom
    Marek Cech (28, Defender)
    Jonas Olsson (28, Defender)
    Giles Barnes (22, Midfielder)

West Ham
    Rob Green (31, Goalkeeper)
    Jonathan Spector (25, Defender)
    Matthew Upson (31, Defender) Good cover
    Victor Obinna (23, Forward)

Wolves
    David Jones (26, Midfielder)
    Michael Kightley (25, Midfielder)

Other players from Europe of note
    Alesandro Nesta (34, Centre defender, AC Milan)
    Andrea Pirlo (31, Centre midfielder, ac milan)
    Anthony Vanden Borre (23, Right back, right winger, Genk) If he's half as good as he is in championship/football manager then yes please!
    Banel Nicolita (Steaua Bucharest)
    Hamit Altintop (28, Right midfielder, B. Munich)
    Luis Garcia (32, Midfielder, Panathanaikos)
    Marek Jankulovski (33, Left Back, Milan)
    Mario Santana (29, Right Winger, Fiorentina)
    Massimo Ambrosini (33, Centre midfielder, AC Milan)
    Miroslav Klose (32, Striker, B. Munich)
    Oscar Wendt (26, Left Back, FC Copenhagen)
    Phillipe Mexes (28, Centre defender, Roma) Get in!
    Piotr Trochowski (26, Attacking midfielder, Hamburg)
    Pippo Inzaghi (37, Striker, Milan)
    Reto Ziegler (25, Left back, Sampdoria)
    Ruud van Nistelrooy (34, Striker, Hamburger)
    Sylvain Marveaux (24, Left winger, Rennes)
    Taye Taiwo (25, Left back, Marseille) Wouldn't say no!
    Thomas Hubschmann (29, Midfielder, Shakhtar Donetsk)
    Tim de Cler (32, Defender, Feyenoord)
    Vicente (29, Left winger, Valencia)
    Zlatan Muslimovic (30, Striker, PAOK)

Pirlo & van Nistelrooy also might be worth looking at?

The latter is 35 in the summer but even a Pay as you play type deal that Michael Owen has?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Mexes and Klose would be good freebies!

You know, I think you could be right .. as long as Klose wasn't looking for ridiculous wages I think he'd do well in the PL on a 2 year contract

One or two interesting names from that list of available players.

From the English clubs there is no one that really stands out. Luke Young is definitely not needed, if Hutton is sold we will still have Charlie, Walker and Kaboul.

I think we need a LB. Ideally I'd like a new first choice one to take over from/compete with BAE. Taiwo has a good reputation but I haven't seen much of him to be able to give an opinion. Has Ziegler progressed much since he left us? I always thought he was a decent player but he was better suited to LW back then. Is Jankulovski decent?

Klose could be a decent option but I'd rather see us add a striker in his prime plus Connor Wickham, with Defoe and Crouch as the other options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

News form the BBC Gossip Column:

Atletico Madrid will offer want-away strikers Sergio Aguero and Diego Forlan to Tottenham for a combined price of £40m this summer.
    :p

Advertisement