Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GQ mags top ten whiskies.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Good list of Scotch with a couple of "wild cards" thrown in but where is the Irish? No top 10 list of Whiskey is complete without at least 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

buck65 wrote: »
    Good list of Scotch with a couple of "wild cards" thrown in but where is the Irish? No top 10 list of Whiskey is complete without at least 1.

The fact that Ardbeg 10, Laphraoig 10, Big Smoke and Lagavulin 16 were all in the top ten suggests that the author just likes their peaty whisky. That left only 6 spots for other whiskies and they had to throw in the usual stuff like Talisker. I don't think they were any sort of experts doing the test anyway. They prob never heard of Irish whiskey apart from Jameson but Tyrconnell 10 Madeira Cask is as good as any scotch I've tasted. Top ten lists are personal though and to be fair I'd have the Ardbeg, Laphraoig and Lagavulin in my top ten too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Hard to beat Lahproaigh for the price.

Was £20 a bottle in my local supermarket recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Kilchoman smokey too.

Seven of them made on Islands - Talisker, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Kilchoman, Highland Park and Smokehead.

Balvenie the only Scotch there not made on an island.

Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Kilcohoman and Smokehead all Islay and all smokey.

Anyway, they are all good whiskies, but I wonder how wide his search was for great whisky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

redlead wrote: »
    The fact that Ardbeg 10, Laphraoig 10, Big Smoke and Lagavulin 16 were all in the top ten suggests that the author just likes their peaty whisky. That left only 6 spots for other whiskies and they had to throw in the usual stuff like Talisker. I don't think they were any sort of experts doing the test anyway. They prob never heard of Irish whiskey apart from Jameson but Tyrconnell 10 Madeira Cask is as good as any scotch I've tasted. Top ten lists are personal though and to be fair I'd have the Ardbeg, Laphraoig and Lagavulin in my top ten too.

Hear hear. Superb whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

A pretty uninspiring and predictable top ten ... not a whole pile of thought gone into it :rolleyes:

Advertisement