Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying deposit without signing a lease

Options
  • 25-02-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have just come to an agreement with an agent for a landlord to rent an apartment.

I now will give notice to my current landlord. We are to move in in 3 weeks time to the new apartment.

We are happy to pay the deposit now to secure the apartment but the agent suggests we sign the lease on the day we move in.

My concern is that if we give notice to our current landlord now not having signed the lease then there is the chance something could change on the other apartment and we get stuck with no where to live.

Should we be pushing to sign the contract along with paying the deposit? or does it matter since the agent emailed me to say that they agree with our offer?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

You can pay a booking deposit but it is not binding until you sign the lease. You should ask for the draft lease before moving in. You can pay a refundable booking deposit now. If there are terms in the lease you do not agree with, you need to find out before leaving your current accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

As long as you make sure it says "refundable" and you get a receipt, then I think it would be ok to pay a deposit now. Personally, I'd want to see the lease before moving in, just in case there is something in there I disagree with.

Advertisement