Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for help on upgrading

Options
  • 25-02-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering would it be worth upgrading too an i7 960 with its new price drop or would I be better off selling up and getting sandybridge, with either of the chioces will be selling up too get either bulldozer or ivybridge, whichever is better near the end of the year so doesnt matter which will be around the longest.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-303-IN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

What are you running now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Serephucus wrote: »
    What are you running now?

I'm running an i7 930 which is watercooled so have plenty of room for overclocking whichever I choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Unless you're running into some serious bottlenecks - on water, I doubt it - just stick with the 930. If you can wait until closer to the end of this year, socket 2011 will be out, which will, by all accounts, destroy Sandy Bridge.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Unless you're running into some serious bottlenecks - on water, I doubt it - just stick with the 930. If you can wait until closer to the end of this year, socket 2011 will be out, which will, by all accounts, destroy Sandy Bridge.
    Yea am definiately going to get either ivybridge (socket 2011) or bulldozer at the end of the year whichever is better. I'm just hoping that will get higher than 4.2ghz with either a 960 or sandybridge if was too upgrade and dont think either will lose much value by the end of the year so wouldnt be that much of a loss if do upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Its down to the indivitual chip how it clocks with i7's,yes a higher multi should help but alot of the time having it dosent help as much as you think.
    Sandybridge is not enough of an upgrade imo from your 930 and the hassle of maybe rma'ing your mobo makes it not worth it imo.
    As you know i have a rig like yours and i'm waitin to see if bulldozer is any good and if so i'll go with that.If it turns out to be mediocre its going to be a pain in the butt as from what i've read ivy is going to be silly money.

Bottom line is wait imo,even with the upgrade itch which i have myself its not justified as there is nothing your rig cant handle presently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

And I thought I was bad ditching a perfectly good C2D PC in favour of a new Sandybridge build!!!
    Not worth doing at all imo, unless you can afford to wipe your arse with money!

I was thinking about upgrading and using the i7 930 and mobo I have at the moment as a decent server if I did upgrade and then sell whatever I bought when ivy/bulldozer came along. Probably should wait though as an i7 is most likely going to be overkill for my server requirements.

Advertisement