Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Speed Bumps

• 25-02-2011 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

What's with the new speed bumps on the Shelbourne Rd between Ardscoil and Salesians? That road has craters I can hide my car in, and they're spending the money on making the road even more of a mess?

And new speed bumps and a pedestrian down the hill from College Court on the road to UL? There's a pedestrian crossing after the roundabout 50 yards down the road :confused: I don't get the point of speed bumps here at all? While the Shelbourne Rd ones are outside two schools (but still on one of the worst roads in the city), these ones are outside nothing but a hotel? Not to mention traffic is at a standstill anyway when pedestrians will most use the crossing, at peak UL times.

More roads to add to the list of routes to avoid, since the bottom of my car scrapes over most of the city's speed bumps. Take the new ones on the Rosbrien road for example. The old ones were pretty bad, but I could go over them without actually having to stop. I'm afraid of buckling an alloy or pulling an exhaust off if I don't literally stop and inch over the new ones there :mad: This causes a nice buildup of traffic behind me, but what else am I supposed to do? :confused:

It's a bit disgraceful that the council is not pulled up on the misuse of roads funds. If they have money to spend on resurfacing half of Clare St (which wasn't bad before) and installing new traffic lights at every second junction, they have money to spend on some roads that actually need attention.

Unless of course they space all speed bumps from now on like some of the newer ones on St Patricks Rd that I can fit between :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cant believe they are putting some outside UL - thats just crazy!

Rosbrien Road ones are grand actually - the old ones were crumbling, at least these ones will deter people such as yourself making the road less busy which means I can get to where I am going much quicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Should have hired the lads from charleville where you can drive between them. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Mc Love wrote: »
    these ones will deter people such as yourself making the road less busy which means I can get to where I am going much quicker

People like? People who have an ounce of mechanical sympathy and don't like langering the car into a pile of tar at 50km/h? :P
    Berty wrote: »
    Should have hired the lads from charleville where you can drive between them. :D

They must have, I can drive between the new ones outside Salesians perfectly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Speedbumps are like snowflakes - no two are alike.

I live in Caherdavin and there are now speedbumps everywhere but they are all different heights, some are made of rubber or similar, others are two side-by-side, others are staggered (the ones opposite the church for example) where you can drive nimbly between them if no other car is coming against you.

More are of the paving-brick variety, with enough girth for all four wheels of a car to be on the 'plateau' at the same time, others are half the width.

More are gentle, others are sharp. I could go on and on.

I'd have thought there was a set of criteria for constructing these speed-deterrents but they seem to have no specifications or regulations as to height, gradient, size etc. Probably designed and constructed using the 'Irish' engineering method - like the geniuses who designed the car parks in the shopping centres such as the one on Childers Road.

There - I feel much better now ... :D

John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

tippman1 wrote: »
    Speedbumps are like snowflakes - no two are alike.

I live in Caherdavin and there are now speedbumps everywhere but they are all different heights, some are made of rubber or similar, others are two side-by-side, others are staggered (the ones opposite the church for example) where you can drive nimbly between them if no other car is coming against you.

More are of the paving-brick variety, with enough girth for all four wheels of a car to be on the 'plateau' at the same time, others are half the width.

More are gentle, others are sharp. I could go on and on.

I'd have thought there was a set of criteria for constructing these speed-deterrents but they seem to have no specifications or regulations as to height, gradient, size etc. Probably designed and constructed using the 'Irish' engineering method - like the geniuses who designed the car parks in the shopping centres such as the one on Childers Road.

There - I feel much better now ... :D

John.

They fixed the ones by caherdavin church- now two on both sides so you cant drive around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,888 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My head is wrecked! Stopped at every traffic light on my way to work including the new ones on dock road and clare street and then find the speed bumps by UL. I'd prefer if this city was run by retarded monkeys that wiped their arses with our tax money instead of spending it on this stupid sh*t! :mad:

And then I see the 2 petrol stations on the Dubline road before Groody roundabout selling petrol at 47.9! I just got some a couple days ago for 43.9. Anyone know what caused the jump in price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

sheehy83 wrote: »
    And then I see the 2 petrol stations on the Dubline road before Groody roundabout selling petrol at 47.9! I just got some a couple days ago for 43.9. Anyone know what caused the jump in price?

its a long time since its been that price ..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,888 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

its a long time since its been that price ..........

woops haha i wish 147.9 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The Dock Road has become a farce, traffic lights at the junction of O Curry Street and the Dock Rd, then more outside centra and then another set 5 yards on at the turn up towards Mary I, then more about 50 yards on for turning into Allendale. It's crazy down there. From Jurys to the cement factory there are 4 roundabouts and 4 sets of traffic lights. The roundabouts fair enough but the lights :rolleyes:. They will probably throw in a few speed ramps next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I drove down the Rosbrien road today and those speed bumps are better than the last. They actually make you slow down and are not too big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Jofspring wrote: »
    The Dock Road has become a farce, traffic lights at the junction of O Curry Street and the Dock Rd, then more outside centra and then another set 5 yards on at the turn up towards Mary I, then more about 50 yards on for turning into Allendale. It's crazy down there. From Jurys to the cement factory there are 4 roundabouts and 4 sets of traffic lights. The roundabouts fair enough but the lights :rolleyes:. They will probably throw in a few speed ramps next.

Convinced they're trying to divert more people to the tunnel.

As for the new speed ramps, nearly went flying at around 7.15 this morning at ard scoil ris. where the hell did they come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

They must have, I can drive between the new ones outside Salesians perfectly :D

What are you driving, a motorbike?

phog wrote: »
    What are you driving, a motorbike?

149953.JPG

Almost :D

With this being the main reason I don't like the new "larger" speed bumps. My exhaust (lowest part of the car) is about 2" off the ground at the lowest point, and the sump isn't far off it. So yea I have a valid basis for complaining about speed bumps and rejoicing when I can fit between them :D

And those new ones at Castletroy are a nightmare! I have to quite literally stop going over them, they're so steep at the edges. I saw a felter A4 having to put two wheels on the footpath to avoid pulling his sideskirts off too :pac:

149953.JPG

With this being the main reason I don't like the new "larger" speed bumps. My exhaust (lowest part of the car) is about 2" off the ground at the lowest point, and the sump isn't far off it. So yea I have a valid basis for complaining about speed bumps and rejoicing when I can fit between them :D

And those new ones at Castletroy are a nightmare! I have to quite literally stop going over them, they're so steep at the edges. I saw a felter A4 having to put two wheels on the footpath to avoid pulling his sideskirts off too :pac:

Nice car but I still cant see how you can fit that between the 2 ramps at the Salesians, I can see how you have a problem with the high ones.

On that, why do we use different ramp types, surely at this stage they have been tries and tested and one type selected for use?

Nice car but I still cant see how you can fit that between the 2 ramps at the Salesians, I can see how you have a problem with the high ones.

They're just far enough apart, there's millimetres in it :P I can fit between the first pair of speed bumps on the Rosbrien Rd. Lidl side too, but not the rest. There's lots around the place I can do it with, almost all of the speed bumps around Thomondgate/Kileely for example. Always gives other drivers a good laugh when they see me squeeze between the two bumps :D
    On that, why do we use different ramp types, surely at this stage they have been tries and tested and one type selected for use?

The most cost effective ones are probably the new ones outside Salesians, I saw them making one, it's just a smoothed lump of tar. I'd imagine the full length tar or metal ones are probably more expensive, so I don't see why they're on the UL road. An improvement on the two-bump ones is when the two bumps are staggered. This means when there's no on-coming traffic I can do a convoluted manoeuvre to prevent damage to my undercarriage.

I'd have thought in this day and age we could have electronic speed bumps however, so that the ones outside Salesians would only "pop up" during school times for example. Having gone to Ardscoil for 6 years and never seen any sort of a crash or tip on that road, they're not there for road safety purposes, they're there for the school crossing. They can do it with the electronic barriers in town on Cruises St. and the like, no reason this can't be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

attachment.php?attachmentid=149953&stc=1&d=1298932147

gotta love those felters!

The ones outside castletroy park are effin lethal! They are working because everytime I have to go over, I have to slow right down.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

Passed a car on the hill near aldi in rhebogue last nite and it looked to have gotten stuck on the speed ramp. it had verly low body kit & was jacked up from the ramp on the left side. or was it just a conincidence that it got a flat on the speed ramp!!!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Passed a car on the hill near aldi in rhebogue last nite and it looked to have gotten stuck on the speed ramp. it had verly low body kit & was jacked up from the ramp on the left side. or was it just a conincidence that it got a flat on the speed ramp!!!:confused:

Doesn't sound good , I'm sure if he got a flat he'd have more common sense than to try and change it on a speedbump!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Actually if your car is very low (sticks up hand) putting the flat wheel on a speed bump may give you more clearance to stick your jack under, depending on the bump!

• Advertisement

phill106 wrote: »
    Actually if your car is very low (sticks up hand) putting the flat wheel on a speed bump may give you more clearance to stick your jack under, depending on the bump!

That is...genius :eek:

I was always curious how I'd fit a jack under the rear subframe with a flat, it just about squeeeezes in with two healthy tyres :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I'd say the reason for the speedbumps outside the Castletroy Carlton is because of the crash there a couple of weeks back.

Some idiot was flying down the hill, crashed into two cars and ploughed/wrote his car off into the metal fence at the other side of the pedestrian/cycle lane. Very lucky noone was killed, it was at 8.20am, if I'd been cycling two mins earlier he could have easily ploughed into me.

Bit annoying there are 3 (?) of them speedbumps, two would have sufficed.

Didnt know there was a crash there. Bit over the top if it was only one crash and it spoils it for everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Mc Love wrote: »
    Didnt know there was a crash there. Bit over the top if it was only one crash and it spoils it for everyone else.

I've seen a couple of smashes there, nothing this serious mind.

Seems like a section where people coming from UL side can be prone to speed in the sweeping left downhill, speed bumps sort that out. They're a bit too severe however.

I'd be more worried by the influx of traffic lights city-wide than speed bumps, that section at Clare St. is a f**king joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

The speedramps in Castletroy are very severe if heading from UL towards the city, they're not so bad heading the other way.

You still have to slow right down to a crawl to get over them

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

What really bugs me about those speed bumps in castletroy is people in “normal” run of the mill cars accelerating between them,
    then coming to a halt nearly, before crawling over them.
    Why not just keep a constant but slower speed the whole way?
    Then the traffic isn’t going to keep getting backed up on the approaches to them.
    You still have to slow right down to a crawl to get over them

Not necessarily, I often use gravity and engine braking going down the hill. Stick it into 3rd and coast all the way to the bottom.
    The speed ramps are no more severe.

Also, imo it’s only a matter of time before someone runs into the back of another car due to the sudden braking I see daily.

Not necessarily, I often use gravity and engine braking going down the hill. Stick it into 3rd and coast all the way to the bottom.
    The speed ramps are no more severe.

Coming down the hill they are the worst. I dont think its good for the car if you go over them like that

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

Well coasting in gear means nearly zero fuel consumption and in 3rd it goes down at approx 20mph so I can’t really see any major issue.

Personally I think all speed bumps should be designed so you can go over them at the posted speed limit without the need to slow down.

Why have a limit if the council only throw obstacles in your way meaning you can’t travel at that speed?

If the council think the current limit is too high either adjust it accordingly or redesign the road. but that'll never happen

• Advertisement

Well coasting in gear means nearly zero fuel consumption and in 3rd it goes down at approx 20mph so I can’t really see any major issue.

Personally I think all speed bumps should be designed so you can go over them at the posted speed limit without the need to slow down.

Why have a limit if the council only throw obstacles in your way meaning you can’t travel at that speed?

If the council think the current limit is too high either adjust it accordingly or redesign the road. but that'll never happen

If everyone drove without breaking the speed limits then they'd be no need for the ramps, the ramps are designed to make the driver slow right down so as to make it more difficult to speed up again before the next ramp thus enforcing the speed limit. If they designed them to allow drivers to pass them a 50kph then the driver could be driving at a higher speed between ramps.

Advertisement