Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to remove chipboard paper from wall?

• 25-02-2011 3:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the best and easiest way to remove this bloody poxy chipboard paper from internal plastered walls of an old house?

Some of it peels of with no problems at all,but then theres bits of it that are just stuck solid to the wall?

I dont want to pull the plaster off the wall either though.:(

Would a wallpaper steaming kit do the trick?

Or does anyone have any handy little "tricks of the trade" for removing chipboard paper.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Paddy, do you mean like woodchip wallpaper. If so it's a real pain in the ass and your going to have to leave a lot of time to get the paper off and probably to patch up the walls.

Good time for removing paper, is to sponge soak the walls first. Do this two or three times, luke warm soapy water/wallpaper remover. A sheet of light plastic, lighter than a plastic bag and place the plastic on to the wall. Try and level it out so there not to many air pockets. Let the plastic stay on the wall for an hour or so. This will help retain the water in place and hopefully loosen the paste/glue that is holding the paper on. Doesn't always work, but worth a try, acts like a big steamer if you catch my drift.

You could always try one of these. Handy, think there in B & Q. Scratches the paper so the remover can penetrate it easier.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zins-Paper-Tiger-Triple-Head/dp/B002ATQZ8A/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298646107&sr=8-1-fkmr1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Paddy, do you mean like woodchip wallpaper. If so it's a real pain in the ass and your going to have to leave a lot of time to get the paper off and probably to patch up the walls.

Good time for removing paper, is to sponge soak the walls first. Do this two or three times, luke warm soapy water/wallpaper remover. A sheet of light plastic, lighter than a plastic bag and place the plastic on to the wall. Try and level it out so there not to many air pockets. Let the plastic stay on the wall for an hour or so. This will help retain the water in place and hopefully loosen the paste/glue that is holding the paper on. Doesn't always work, but worth a try, acts like a big steamer if you catch my drift.

You could always try one of these. Handy, think there in B & Q. Scratches the paper so the remover can penetrate it easier.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zins-Paper-Tiger-Triple-Head/dp/B002ATQZ8A/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298646107&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Yep,woodchip paper.

The bain of my life at the moment.:mad:

Lol, nightmare it is. Thats your weekend sorted:D

Lol, nightmare it is. Thats your weekend sorted:D

Yeah,it sure is.:mad::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Argos do a cheap wall paper steamer for about €20. Pick up one of them and you'll have it done in half the time and not destroy your plaster. Got one a few years back, its been used count less times by friends family, still works great.

• Advertisement

Just bought asn Earlex steamer kit,few bottles of wallpeper stripper solution and and also this bad boy of a wall stripper.

Now if this doesnt do the job,then I dont know what will.:pac:

Would it also be worth soaking the chip paper and walls in wallpeper stripper solution and leaving them overnight,or would that be pointless??

And then attack the chipwood paper in the morning with the steamer kit?
    :confused:

Yeah thats the bad boy you want to attack the job Paddy. Careful of the blades on the things, can slice your finger of nearly, believe me:eek:.

No real point to let it soak overnight as the water will have evaporated and the paste dried again. Brute force and patience is your keys removing woodchip.

Yeah thats the bad boy you want to attack the job Paddy. Careful of the blades on the things, can slice your finger of nearly, believe me:eek:.

No real point to let it soak overnight as the water will have evaporated and the paste dried again. Brute force and patience is your keys removing woodchip.

Thanks for that..

I,ll soon see how it goes.Wish me luck.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

paddy be careful with the steamer on solid walls it removes the plaster.

For my money a skim might be cheaper.

I hate WALLPAPER and guess what i am doing this weekend....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

Assume you want to paint the area

The steamer worked a treat and all the chip paper is now a thing of the past.

The plaster was the original plaster (75 year old house) and it was fine,didnt blow out,thanks god.A few small scrapes and gouges out of it (thanks to my missus) but nothing a small bit of filler cant sort out easily.

Can I ask roughly how much does it cost for a plasterer in this current climate to skim the average mid terrace stairs and landing area???

Just thinking about re-wallpapering agaisnt skimming and painting........with regards the future.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

paddy147 wrote: »
    The steamer worked a treat and all the chip paper is now a thing of the past.

The plaster was the original plaster (75 year old house) and it was fine,didnt blow out,thanks god.A few small scrapes and gouges out of it (thanks to my missus) but nothing a small bit of filler cant sort out easily.

Can I ask roughly how much does it cost for a plasterer in this current climate to skim the average mid terrace stairs and landing area???

Just thinking about re-wallpapering agaisnt skimming and painting........with regards the future.;)

My mate got his done and paid 300 northside prices !!!!

Advertisement