Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unexploded shell found in Wexford town

Options
  • 25-02-2011 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0225/wexford.html
    An area in Wexford town known as The Faythe will remain sealed off until after 6pm this evening due to the discovery of an unexploded shell.
    The shell, which is around 30cms long and 8cms in diameter, is believed to be at least 40 years old. It was found during a clean up of a garage behind a house.
    A few houses have been evacuated pending the arrival of the Army bomb disposal unit.
    The location is around 250 metres from the local polling station.
    Gardaí say nobody has been prevented from polling and voting is continuing as normal.
    Further parking restrictions have been put in place because of the alert.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

My mothers living right across the road from the polling station, I'm due to go in and vote there this evening but not sure what's happening.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Havent been near there, but I heard theyve closed the street to traffic?

I used to live nearby, and clearing my garden found buried clothes, a handbag, and even some teeth. But no bodies and no bombs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

polling is still going on .... as far as rte report suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Going down to the Faythe to vote now if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I'm living behind the house. We were asked to evacuate the house until atleast 6. Ironic thing was, i was suppose to move out today! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭wexfordia

McLoughlin wrote: »

How exactly did a WWII bomb end up in the town ? I know Campile was bombed but Wexford town ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

wexfordia wrote: »
    How exactly did a WWII bomb end up in the town ? I know Campile was bombed but Wexford town ? :confused:

Probably a souvenir.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

wexfordia wrote: »
    Any confirmation that it was a WWII bomb? The article says it was 40 years old, that's too recent to be WWII...

Advertisement