Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Home Server

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Would you consider a seperate raid card as would handle that amount of drives much better than the onboard one would and you would see much faster speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Why just a dual core, why not a an x3 or quad to be more futureproof?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I don't raid the drives and I get 50Mb/s on the current server.

I was looking at this CPU
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/amd-sempron-140-2-7ghz-socket-am3-1mb-45w-63BD.html?refs=4294951785

But I decided for the extra 20€, I'd get the dual core. It's only going to be used a server. My existing server processor is 6 years old now and wasn't even high end when I bought it. This will be on possibly 24/7 so the lower power usage is important.

I don't raid the drives and I get 50Mb/s on the current server.

I was looking at this CPU
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/amd-sempron-140-2-7ghz-socket-am3-1mb-45w-63BD.html?refs=4294951785

But I decided for the extra 20€, I'd get the dual core. It's only going to be used a server. My existing server processor is 6 years old now and wasn't even high end when I bought it. This will be on possibly 24/7 so the lower power usage is important.
    With even raid 6 you could get 1200mb's rather than 50 so that would help alot but there is a large outlay for the raid cards. I will be picking one up on my next server build. You can see in this video about them. Ignore him rambling about the network card though.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TimeToLiveCustoms#p/u/10/w4lyxaLx3QI

I'll never need that speed though. I prefer not to raid disks so if anything goes wrong I can still access the data on each disk.

I only use raid on disks that I don't mind if the contents are lost (I do this on my gaming PC).

Can you link me to a recommended card though. It might be worth the price on my regular file server where my files are more important. I do have a nas that I intend on using as my backup server for that.

• Advertisement

I'll never need that speed though. I prefer not to raid disks so if anything goes wrong I can still access the data on each disk.

I only use raid on disks that I don't mind if the contents are lost (I do this on my gaming PC).

Can you link me to a recommended card though. It might be worth the price on my regular file server where my files are more important. I do have a nas that I intend on using as my backup server for that.

Thats the whole point of the raid if a disk die's the raid controller will just build all your data back up and you can still use the computer as if nothing happened. Then just replace the bust hd with another and put it back in and can use it. I will post the link later when am back at my main pc as am not at it at the momnet. With that amount of drives just run raid 6 or if you stay with onboard you could try out raid 0+1, it will double the speed but will also back up your data, your storage capacity will drop alot in this one though.

deceit wrote: »
    Thats the whole point of the raid if a disk die's the raid controller will just build all your data back up and you can still use the computer as if nothing happened. Then just replace the bust hd with another and put it back in and can use it. I will post the link later when am back at my main pc as am not at it at the momnet. With that amount of drives just run raid 6 even if you stay with onboard raid.

I also need (want :) ) the full 16TB of space. Does raid 6 support different disk sizes in same array. eventually I will start upgrading the drives 1 or 2 at a time.
    I'd only do raid 6 if i could afford 2 of the cards, 1 as backup.

I also need (want :) ) the full 16TB of space. Does raid 6 support different disk sizes in same array. eventually I will start upgrading the drives 1 or 2 at a time.
    I'd only do raid 6 if i could afford 2 of the cards, 1 as backup.
    I'm not sure if the sizes can be different as i've always just used the same sized drives when creating it. The cheapest card i've seen that supports raid 6 and has 8 ports on it was 200 so not sure if you want too spend that much for each then.

deceit wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the sizes can be different as i've always just used the same sized drives when creating it. The cheapest card i've seen that supports raid 6 and has 8 ports on it was 200 so not sure if you want too spend that much for each then.

I'd need two of those just so I can always get at my data (in case the first card dies).

Considering I won't need the speed most of the time, and my preference for standalone disks that I can be sure of accessing with a spare pc, I don't think raid is for me :)

Would anyone have a recommendation about the amount of ram I have. Too much for just file serving? I run ubuntu server through commandline so the os isn't using much ram.

I'd need two of those just so I can always get at my data (in case the first card dies).

Considering I won't need the speed most of the time, and my preference for standalone disks that I can be sure of accessing with a spare pc, I don't think raid is for me :)

Would anyone have a recommendation about the amount of ram I have. Too much for just file serving? I run ubuntu server through commandline so the os isn't using much ram.

Considering how cheap 4gb is I wouldnt go any less. Have you checked the link for cheap ram solitaire put in the bargain section? Could be perfect for you price wise if just looking for cheap ram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Considering that you won't need 4GB, just go with 1 or 2.

I found a 4gb kit for 40 euro on memoryc
    i will just get that. Ill have the 2nd 2gb as a spare.

Any good places to get hard drives? it's cheaper to buy
    2 x 2tb than 3tb in most places I've looked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

UnRaid might be worth looking into.

Its a non-striped array, actually more like JBOD with a parity drive. So the data on every drive is recoverable individually if something went tits up. And you can mix and match drive sizes and models, and increase the array just by adding drives.

In any case, I wouldn't buy all hard-drives at the same time or from the same vendor. You don't want all the drives to come from the same manufacturing batch.

UnRaid might be worth looking into.

Its a non-striped array, actually more like JBOD with a parity drive. So the data on every drive is recoverable individually if something went tits up. And you can mix and match drive sizes and models, and increase the array just by adding drives.

In any case, I wouldn't buy all hard-drives at the same time or from the same vendor. You don't want all the drives to come from the same manufacturing batch.

I usually don't and upgrade them every two years anyway. My budget is limited now so i'll be be buying them over a few months too.

Advertisement