Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MT4002 a farse?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

So I've been following this thread for sometime now and I cant understand what the problem is. When your in college you will encounter modules that are going to be hard or easy its the reality of college life. College offers students to be independent and kinda look for answers yourself, lecturers can only do so much.

I have done done the two materials modules with Jeremy and I really had no issue with it. I thought it was great there was so much lab work, something you don't get in my other modules. A text was recommended which I referred to from time to time with the notes. And looking back on the Materials 1&2 I think it offered me some very fundamental knowledge which has stood to me. Particularly when it came to coop.

Its easy to complain about a class, but just try your best its not always about getting the right answer. I loved the labs and found them great, certainly I had issue with sulis but that's life ya win some ya loose some. With regard the teachers, if your doing metalwork or woodwork I'd expect ye to cover a materials module because that's what you'll be teaching about in schools. The class would not be taught to ye if it wasn't necessary. just my two cents..

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

...HaHa!!
    ...... lovin his thread, i graduated from the metalwork course in 2004 and in fairness we done some retarded modules in our stint there...(4th yr in particular!!)
    ..As a matter of interest what topics are covered in this MT4002..we done this module in final year about the maths involved in jet engine combustion and thermodynamics....complete WASTE OF TIME...we all slated the course in our final year review,but dont know if it was ever pulled?
    ....MT sounds like a materials module but I remember that dept. being fairly alright and relevant.
    ....TBH lads I wouldn't worry about it too much,......just play the game and pass he course....
    I made up for the courses shortfall's with Fás courses in welding etc and landed on me feet with a decent job despite UL trying to bring us down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

I had a look at the Ashby and Johns textbook and the other one by James Shackelford and I can't see the OPs point about the content being totally irrelevant.

What is described in these books is how the materials we encounter in our daily lives, how such material properties can be measured and how to select the right materials for types of design applications (eg cost and availability vs desired modulus, and so on). So how could it be of no relevance whatsoever to a technology student?

A couple of people have mentioned that MT4002 is not being run very well. I was never in this class so I can't say.

Some of the content I came across in the books was very interesting, and I do use bits and pieces I picked up quite often

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

I had this module a few years ago and while it is very technical and it could very confusing it is by no means a difficult module if you put in a modest amount of work. I did go to the labs and most of the lectures and gave it a few days study before the exam and got an A1, i think you can become confused by the jargon and give up, if you get stuck in its not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I've started this Module yesterday, 2nd year Engineer, how would you recommend studying for this exam? I attend every lecture, and made clear to the lecturer I will be missing Week 3 and 4 and as a result will be excused from the labs? There seems to be quite a number of you who were distressed coming up to and after the exam. I want to ensure this does not happen to me and I have a good chance of getting a good grade. I know there have been no new posts, but sure just looking for any information you might have? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I've started this Module yesterday, 2nd year Engineer, how would you recommend studying for this exam? I attend every lecture, and made clear to the lecturer I will be missing Week 3 and 4 and as a result will be excused from the labs? There seems to be quite a number of you who were distressed coming up to and after the exam. I want to ensure this does not happen to me and I have a good chance of getting a good grade. I know there have been no new posts, but sure just looking for any information you might have? :)

pick C..

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

FionnK86 wrote: »

You will do fine, I know loads of people doing the module and to be honest they are absolutely retarded they whine all day about it being too hard and not relevant and never go into any of the classes, some of your classes with him will be about 10 people. He is dead sound to people who put in an effort and an arrogant prick to people who dismiss his class, as many do.

The people who did this course during semester one did abysmally, my housemates do it and apparently they all just chose completely random answers for the whole test.

Also if he ever puts anything up on sulis, download it and keep a copy because he is known for removing them without warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jonny_bravo

It is totally relevant to metalwork teaching anyway seeing as you will be teaching about materials structure etc in the profession. I did this module 3 years ago and found it a bit overwhelming but I attended my required hours and past. Only put in bare minimal study (which I regret) but still got through it

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

It is totally relevant to metalwork teaching anyway seeing as you will be teaching about materials structure etc in the profession. I did this module 3 years ago and found it a bit overwhelming but I attended my required hours and past. Only put in bare minimal study (which I regret) but still got through it

At least you talk sense, lots of people do so much moaning about it. The stuff isn't difficult at all, 3 people in my house did the module at the same time, I spent about 5 days towards the end of the semester looking at the notes for the first time, then I did the one practice test and got an A in the real exam. My housemates (who like myself, aren't genius's), did even less, the only thing they did for the whole module was ask me to walk them through the practice exam, which I did, and they all got B's just by having the same questions repeat in the exam.

The debate over this module should be over, people who are lazy will fail it, people who try won't. :/

Advertisement