Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planet Size, Gravity and how it would affect a person

Options
  • 25-02-2011 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

apologies if this is more suited to the Physics forum (feel free to move it), but I have a question regarding gravity & the affect it would have on a person.

Suppose you had a planet the size of the sun, would gravity squash a regular human due to the mass of the planet...or would other factors such as atmosphere also need to be taken into consideration.

thanks for any help in helping me understand this.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

dots03 wrote: »
    apologies if this is more suited to the Physics forum (feel free to move it), but I have a question regarding gravity & the affect it would have on a person.

Suppose you had a planet the size of the sun, would gravity squash a regular human due to the mass of the planet...or would other factors such as atmosphere also need to be taken into consideration.

thanks for any help in helping me understand this.

Yes from the mass alone would be enough to crush a human

If you weighed 10 stone on earth, at the surface of the sun you would weigh almost 30 times that which would be almost 300 stone

Also if you applied the same to jupiter you would weigh about 25 stone

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

I'm fairly sure a planet that reached the the size of the Sun will always be a star (gravity is sufficient to cause nuclear fusion near the core) so the atmospheric effect of a few kilokelvins would be a nuisance as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

An interesting question, but I am not sure you could find a planet even as big as Jupiter with a solid surface you could actually reach. The atmosphere would crush you, and you would be evaporated long before you got down far enough to find out if there was a solid surface at all.

To stand on the surface of something as large as the sun, you would need to wait a long time until it burned out and cooled enough to form a surface, and who knows what the atmosphere would be like?

Just assuming you could stand on it, hmmmmm Strawberry jam anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭Tefral

If we evolved on a planet with more gravity, surely our bone structure would be far more dense to cope with the larger gravity? Id hazard a guess and say we wouldnt be as tall as we are now either?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

cheers for the replies. much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

cronin_j wrote: »
    If we evolved on a planet with more gravity, surely our bone structure would be far more dense to cope with the larger gravity? Id hazard a guess and say we wouldnt be as tall as we are now either?

Basically yes we'd be smaller - because smaller structures are more structurally efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Similarly an earth-like planet with less gravity would have mile high trees and massive airborne animals ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

BULLER wrote: »
    Similarly an earth-like planet with less gravity would have mile high trees and massive airborne animals ;)

Not necessarily, you would accomplish much of the same with having higher average concentrations of oxygen for example, much like the conditions necessary for the existance of the largest of prehistoric dinosaurs. oh and of course higher atmospheric density

Advertisement