Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie`s Ready.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good going ed, that's great progress and being able to run 5 X 1k at pace off 90" is very close. The last half of the last two k's should be very hard work - it's what makes you strong.

Try and bring your easy runs up in terms of time as well....aerobic work will be very good for you - 45' is good for those easy runs. keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

Thanks for the encouragement folks. Beginning to see real improvement now so determined to keep it going. Cheers. Ed.

Had a meeting this morning in Ballsbridge so decided to run home to Glasnevin. Running through town was definitely a very new experience for me. All those things to contend with! Weaving in and out of pedestrians, trying to cross those busy city centre roads without getting killed and little gurriers shouting things as I ran by. A whole new world! Took it handy enough covering 12.5km in 1hr 6mins averaging 5.15/km. Had my bag on my back which weighed me down. Found carrying the extra weight difficult. As an experiment I weighed the bag when I got home and it was 7lbs exactly. Since starting running at the beginning of last July I have lost over 3 stone weight, the equivalent of 6 of those bags! How the hell did I ever manage to walk, never mind run carrying all that extra 'baggage'?! The mind boggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

EdMoses wrote: »
    Had a meeting this morning in Ballsbridge so decided to run home to Glasnevin. Running through town was definitely a very new experience for me. All those things to contend with! Weaving in and out of pedestrians, trying to cross those busy city centre roads without getting killed and little gurriers shouting things as I ran by. A whole new world! Took it handy enough covering 12.5km in 1hr 6mins averaging 5.15/km. Had my bag on my back which weighed me down. Found carrying the extra weight difficult. As an experiment I weighed the bag when I got home and it was 7lbs exactly. Since starting running at the beginning of last July I have lost over 3 stone weight, the equivalent of 6 of those bags! How the hell did I ever manage to walk, never mind run carrying all that extra 'baggage'?! The mind boggles!

Sounds like an interesting experience- Probably as good as a hill session

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I think running with a bag is really awkward, and running in the Centre is a nightmare - all that stopping and jigging about and obstacles. Fair play to you - 5.15 per km is pretty good in those far-from-ideal conditions.

• Advertisement

The clocks going forward have really messed me around this week. Couldn`t get out of bed to go running yesterday morning and struggled to get up this morning with the result that I left myself with too little time to do my planned run. Instead I opted to do a 5.9km loop that I started out doing last August. Checked my training diary before I went. In August I was taking about 31mins to complete this route. I had that down to 28.38 at the beginning of February but hadn`t done that route since. Came in at 26.22 this morning at an average of 4.24/km. Very pleased with that.
    If I could sustain that pace, or a little bit slower, for another 4km I`d be under 45mins for 10km which would be pretty amazing for me. Something to aim for! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Been reading your thread over the last few weeks Ed. Great progress in such little time. Reading about your interval sessions has me curious about doing some. I've only been running a few months and mainly just head out the door for a slow or fast run - nothing structured. Have you found them beneficial or would you advise to stick with slow runs building up the mileage first? (10k is my longest run,did it in 54 mins)

Cleanman wrote: »
    Been reading your thread over the last few weeks Ed. Great progress in such little time. Reading about your interval sessions has me curious about doing some. I've only been running a few months and mainly just head out the door for a slow or fast run - nothing structured. Have you found them beneficial or would you advise to stick with slow runs building up the mileage first? (10k is my longest run,did it in 54 mins)

Thanks Cleanman. To be honest I`m really only feeling my way into the interval thing without a hell of a lot of knowledge. The boardsies have been most helpful as I really hadn`t a notion where to start. Before I started my log I was really only heading out for my run, going as fast as I possibly could for as long as I possibly could and then hanging on, often in extreme pain, until the end. The interval and tempo sessions must be paying off though as my times seem to be improving in a fairly short few weeks. I`m sure you`d find the same.
    Btw going on your recent 5k time I`m sure you`d do some damage to that 54min 10k. 54mins is my own official PB from last July so I`m on the lookout for a race to make that a little bit more respectable. Would love to get under 45mins.
    Best of luck with your training. I`d say introducing one speed session a week would definitely see you going under 20mins for 5k in no time. A little bit beyond me right at the moment but hopefully in a few months. Ed.

Thanks for the encouragement Ed.

The 54 min 10k was done a handy pace as the one thing I've been worried about is injury (I have a list the length of my arm from GAA and athletics as a youngster!) So Ive been pretty reluctant to push things too hard. But I know I need to up my mileage if I want to improve times as I DIED in 5k race. Went out too fast like yourself for the first K. My thinking was to increase the mileage before introducing interval sessions but the mileage is very slow to go up!!:o

Our pace is pretty similar though so I might aim to replicate some of your sessions once I start intervals:eek:

A sub 20min 5k is definitely the aim for 2011 though. No doubt you'll be there soon the way you're improving.

No running for me since Tuesday. In fact, have hardly been able to walk never mind run. Used to get gout from time to time in my pre-running days but have been fine since I started my exercise regime. That was until Wednesday night when I woke up with my left foot in agony! :eek: Was so painful I couldn`t even have a sheet on it in bed. Didn`t sleep a wink and couldn`t put weight on it all day yesterday. Eventually got to doc yesterday evening and got prescription. Was still very painful last night but the meds seem to have kicked in now and it has eased somewhat. Hopefully will get out again over the weekend. Only thing I can think of that may have triggered it was a good few pints on Sunday. Haven`t really been drinking a lot in recent times and they say even a few after a period of abstinence can be enough to cause a flare up. Wouldn`t wish it on anyone! :(

• Advertisement

Gout seems to have cleared up completely thank God, so the plan is to get out for a couple of miles in the morning. Been like a demon with the frustration of not being able to get out these last few days. Also been eating a load of crap so looking forward to getting back into a routine.

Gout seems to have cleared up completely thank God, so the plan is to get out for a couple of miles in the morning. Been like a demon with the frustration of not being able to get out these last few days. Also been eating a load of crap so looking forward to getting back into a routine.

Best of luck getting back on your feet literally

I thought you only got gout if you had been living it up drinking port, eating caviar and the like as well as living generally like Henry viii- you must have a great life:D

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Best of luck getting back on your feet literally

I thought you only got gout if you had been living it up drinking port, eating caviar and the like as well as living generally like Henry viii- you must have a great life:D

Thanks W.B. Alas, although in my previous incarnation I was a divil for more than my fair share of Dominos and lager, I have yet to succumb to the port-swilling, caviar-munching, womanising of said Henry. One can only aspire to such heights! :-) Without getting into the science of gout affliction too much it is sparked off by an inability to get rid of uric acid from the body. Certain foods and alcohol in particular can inhibit the process greatly so if you're susceptible like me you have to watch what you eat/drink and not go too mad. Alcohol is the worst culprit and especially if you haven't been drinking for a while. Moral for me is to drink a little and more regularly!

Great to get back out again this morning! Did 1km warm up, then 2 x 5km with 2mins recovery jog in between. Tried not to pay too much attention to the Garmin. First 5km was 22.22 followed by 23.04. 1km jog at the end. Felt reasonably good and was just delighted to be back out running again. Even the p*ssing rain over the last 3km or so didn`t bother me in the slightest! :)

6k easy this morning in 29.31 @ average of 4.55/km. Lashed rain about half way round. Was only thinking of the thread that asked "when do you know that you`re addicted to running?" For me it`s not minding that I`m soaked to the skin or that people are driving by asking "is yer man nuts to be out in that?!" Hoping to experiment a bit with some hill work later in the week. Haven`t done anything like that before so should be interesting.

1km warm up followed by 15mins @ 4.25/km, 2min recovery jog, 10mins @ 4.30/km, 1min recovery, 15mins @ 4.45/km.

Last 15mins was mostly into a pretty savage headwind and I found it very hard going.
    Have a meeting later on over the other side of town so going to cycle there and back. That will be a total of 25km. I`m sure I won`t be going at any great speed but said I`d stick it in here anyhow.
    Some speed intervals planned for tomorrow all going well.

1km warm up followed by 5 x 1km with 1.30 recovery in between and 1km cool down.

Splits: 3.51, 3.44, 3.50, 3.47, 3.43. Last one of these I did was a fortnight ago and the splits then were 4.00, 3.52, 3.55, 3,54, 3.56. so a good improvement. Really wanted to bottle it midway through km 4 and 5 but had asimonov`s words going through my head:
    "The last half of the last two k's should be very hard work - it's what makes you strong." (Thanks asimonov!)
    Not sure what exactly has contributed to the improvement this week especially as last week`s training was scuppered a bit. Couple of things maybe...left the ipod at home so may have been more focused on the job in hand...nice misty drizzle keeping me cool...once again tried not to look at Garmin until towards the end of each km...new Lidl shorts! :D

Not sure now whether I should move on by shortening the recovery or by doing 1.5 or 2km intervals. Shortening the recovery period seems to be what most people advise. Will probably try that to start with next week.

1km warm up followed by 5 x 1km with 1.30 recovery in between and 1km cool down.

Splits: 3.51, 3.44, 3.50, 3.47, 3.43. Last one of these I did was a fortnight ago and the splits then were 4.00, 3.52, 3.55, 3,54, 3.56. so a good improvement. Really wanted to bottle it midway through km 4 and 5 but had asimonov`s words going through my head:
    "The last half of the last two k's should be very hard work - it's what makes you strong." (Thanks asimonov!)
    Not sure what exactly has contributed to the improvement this week especially as last week`s training was scuppered a bit. Couple of things maybe...left the ipod at home so may have been more focused on the job in hand...nice misty drizzle keeping me cool...once again tried not to look at Garmin until towards the end of each km...new Lidl shorts! :D

Not sure now whether I should move on by shortening the recovery or by doing 1.5 or 2km intervals. Shortening the recovery period seems to be what most people advise. Will probably try that to start with next week.

Great progress Eddie-
    Looks like your sub 20 is well on the way
    A nice few 5ks coming up over the next 2-3 months- I'd wager that if you break 20 sooner rather than later that you'll go lower and lower again quickly. Psychological barriers need to be broken!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Not sure now whether I should move on by shortening the recovery or by doing 1.5 or 2km intervals.

My training plan followed the 1k intervals with a 2 mile/3k time trial, and then 2 x 1 mile @ 5k pace the next week.

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Great progress Eddie-
    Looks like your sub 20 is well on the way
    A nice few 5ks coming up over the next 2-3 months- I'd wager that if you break 20 sooner rather than later that you'll go lower and lower again quickly. Psychological barriers need to be broken!

Thanks W.B. Really pleased with how things are going. Sub-20 still seems like such a huge obstacle as I`ve yet to get under 21 and my 21.20 last month nearly killed me! You`re right though, have to just get out and give it a lash. If I got under 21 in my next race then I`d probably feel a bit more prepared in my head for sub-20. Must have a proper look at the upcoming 5ks and make a plan of action. Leixlip sounds good. Can you recommend another? Thanks a lot. Ed.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    My training plan followed the 1k intervals with a 2 mile/3k time trial, and then 2 x 1 mile @ 5k pace the next week.

Hi Ray. Presume that the 3k time trial was at 5k race pace? Thanks. Ed.

Thanks W.B. Really pleased with how things are going. Sub-20 still seems like such a huge obstacle as I`ve yet to get under 21 and my 21.20 last month nearly killed me! You`re right though, have to just get out and give it a lash. If I got under 21 in my next race then I`d probably feel a bit more prepared in my head for sub-20. Must have a proper look at the upcoming 5ks and make a plan of action. Leixlip sounds good. Can you recommend another? Thanks a lot. Ed.

Leixlip is in early May- in my humble opinion its not that easy a course as they make out- I've run it twice last year and the year before both in well over 27 minutes- thankfully I've come on a bit since then!
    Donore 5km a few weeks later in May in the Park is likely a better PB bet, more downhill than uphill but there is one killer hill in it, will probably be a decent elite field in it that could drag you along at a decent clip
    Bohermeen 5km (near Navan) 2nd weekend in June I think, is a great run, pretty flat from recollection - but if I remember correctly not chip timed

These are the only ones I've run but there are a host of others including
    Enfield 5km on May 24th
    Tom Byrne Lucan 5km May 22nd

Probably others but these are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head

5k this morning in 25.09 @average of 5.02/km Took it nice and easy after yesterday`s exertions. Plan for the weekend is to rest tomorrow and LSR on Sunday.

Have found a nice loop with lots of hills around Drumcondra,Glasnevin and Finglas for Sunday`s run! :eek:

10k yesterday morning in 52.45 on very hilly loop. Found the hills very draining and was pretty shattered from 5km onwards. Had been thinking of doing Saturday`s 10k at the K Club but yesterday felt very hard. Will see later in the week.

30km cycle yesterday evening, quite hilly over the last 10k.

This afternoon I ran home from work with heavy bag on my back. Really hate running with the bag but can`t see a way around it in terms of bringing clothes/laptop etc home. 6km in 29mins and it felt bloomin` tough!

Going to give the 10k race at the K Club a lash on Saturday morning. Not sure that I`ve done the necessary distance work for 10k as I seem to have been concentrating more on the 5k recently but sure we`ll give it a go and see what happens. My PB stands at 54mins from last July so I`ll be hoping to go a good bit faster than that.

29mins for 6K with a heavy bag is savage going Ed. You'll rip that 54 mins pb apart on Saturday with the way you've been training for the last few weeks, even if you don't think you don't have enough distance work done.

Just remember not to start off too fast:P

Cleanman wrote: »
    29mins for 6K with a heavy bag is savage going Ed. You'll rip that 54 mins pb apart on Saturday with the way you've been training for the last few weeks, even if you don't think you don't have enough distance work done.

Just remember not to start off too fast:P

Thanks Cleanman. And yes...I have to make sure I don`t start off too quickly. It`s been my downfall so many times so I`m determined to pace myself a little better on Saturday!

1km warm up with 2 x 3km this morning @ average of 4.07/km for each with 2mins jog in between. Felt ok and actually beginning to believe that sub 20 for 5km could be a little bit more within my reach. Looking forward to 10k in K Club on Saturday. Hoping to be able to sustain pace of 4.20-4.30/km. Must not go out too quickly, must not go out too quickly, must not go out too quickly, must not go out too quickly..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Concerned2

Hi Eddie, I'll be following your log with interest . You seem to have very similar goals & current speed as myself , although looking through your log I think you are improving a hell of a lot faster ! If you break that 20 min barrier for 5 k in the near future it would be a great achievement. I hope to do the same but I think it will take me most of the year to find the minute I need so best of luck getting there first :)

• Advertisement

1km warm up with 2 x 3km this morning @ average of 4.07/km for each with 2mins jog in between. Felt ok and actually beginning to believe that sub 20 for 5km could be a little bit more within my reach. Looking forward to 10k in K Club on Saturday. Hoping to be able to sustain pace of 4.20-4.30/km. Must not go out too quickly, must not go out too quickly, must not go out too quickly, must not go out too quickly..... :D

Best of luck on Saturday
    I'd say 10*4.30 is well within your reach, just make sure to take it easy, discipline yourself over the first few kms because you'll want to blow out fast at the beginning with the crowds.
    45min for 10km is very decent going having said all of that.
    Can't remember your exact PB- I know very close to 21 min, McMillan puts a 21.10 5k runner as a 43.58 10km. You've an extra minute to play with to get you to 45.
    Beir bua

Advertisement