Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie`s Ready.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

Concerned2 wrote: »
    Hi Eddie, I'll be following your log with interest . You seem to have very similar goals & current speed as myself , although looking through your log I think you are improving a hell of a lot faster ! If you break that 20 min barrier for 5 k in the near future it would be a great achievement. I hope to do the same but I think it will take me most of the year to find the minute I need so best of luck getting there first :)

Cheers Concerned2! Going to try to break 21 mins first and then aim for the 20. Psychologically, not having gone under 21, 20 seems pretty daunting. Although after this morning`s session I think I realised that it`s not as beyond the bounds of possibility as I thought it was a month or two ago. Best of luck with your own assault on 20mins. I`ll be keeping a close eye. We`ll get there!:)

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Best of luck on Saturday
    I'd say 10*4.30 is well within your reach, just make sure to take it easy, discipline yourself over the first few kms because you'll want to blow out fast at the beginning with the crowds.
    45min for 10km is very decent going having said all of that.
    Can't remember your exact PB- I know very close to 21 min, McMillan puts a 21.10 5k runner as a 43.58 10km. You've an extra minute to play with to get you to 45.
    Beir bua

Cheers W.B.! I`d be delighted with anything in or around the 45 mark. And you`re spot on...discipline will be the key at the start. Got to take it handy, stay within my own pace and no heroics!:)

BTW congrats on new arrival! May she not put a total halt to your gallop! :)

10k PB smashed :)

Absolutely delighted with this morning`s race. Was aiming to keep things at just under 4.30/km throughout which would have gotten me under 45 mins which would have been a big chunk off my PB of 54mins set last July. Things panned out a little differently as I was feeling really good over the first 2k. Fell in with a group of five over first couple of kms and found this a great help. Was aware that I was going faster than planned but figured that if I could stay at under 4.20/km for a couple of km then even if I did slow down I should still average under the 4.30/km overall. Without actually realising it I went through 5k a couple of seconds quicker than last month`s PB. Had I copped this I think it might well have scared the crap out of me and I could well have blown it! :) I lost the group just after 5k but ended up running alongside a guy who suited my pace perfectly as I was determined to keep things under 4.30/km to the end. Maths has never been my strong point so I wasn`t even considering what kind of time was possible. In my own head I thought I`d probably break 45mins and that if I was lucky I might just get under 44. The 8th and 9th kms were tough going, it was very warm and I knew I was slowing. Was disgusted to go over 4.30 on the 9th km so decided I`d have to make up for it on the final km. Put the foot to the floor once I hit the 9km marker and really gave it everything. The speed work has obviously paid off as I finished with a 3.42 final km.
    Could not believe it when I saw my finishing time of 42.44 !! Shocked, elated, even a little overcome. So pleased!

Splits were as follows:

Thanks to all for the organisation. My first BHAA race and definitely won`t be my last.
    What to aim for next? I`m sure there will come a time very soon when things begin to plateau and improvement becomes more difficult...especially at my age! Can`t imagine ever going better than today`s race but that won`t stop me trying.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Wow, great going Ed. 3:42 in the last Km is seriously impressive after the pace you set in the first 9! You'll be breaking 40mins soon....never mind that easy 20min 5k target:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cleanman wrote: »
    Wow, great going Ed. 3:42 in the last Km is seriously impressive after the pace you set in the first 9! You'll be breaking 40mins soon....never mind that easy 20min 5k target:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Haha! Thanks a lot Cleanman. I`m sure I was a sight to behold over the last km. Went for the big sprint finish with 500m or so to go but ran out of legs with about 100m left and hauled myself to the finish line somehow...wasn`t pretty! :) Sub-40 is probably a bridge too far if I`m realistic but sub-20 for 5k might happen at some stage if I keep plugging away at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Well done Ed!
    Great running- the sub 20 is getting closer and closer, that 10k time in McMillan gives 20.34, I'd say its well within your reach in the next month or two if you keep the training up, especially with that last Km split that you put in. I'd go so far as to suggest that your target at that rate should be well under 20 - 18 min would be a real challenge!
    Keep up the good work

The running is on the back seat at the moment, back to work tomorrow so I'll get some lunchtime running done this week and hopefully get a long run in next weekend so looking to keep fitness as is for the next few weeks and then see what I can do after that

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Well done Ed!
    Great running- the sub 20 is getting closer and closer, that 10k time in McMillan gives 20.34, I'd say its well within your reach in the next month or two if you keep the training up, especially with that last Km split that you put in. I'd go so far as to suggest that your target at that rate should be well under 20 - 18 min would be a real challenge!
    Keep up the good work

The running is on the back seat at the moment, back to work tomorrow so I'll get some lunchtime running done this week and hopefully get a long run in next weekend so looking to keep fitness as is for the next few weeks and then see what I can do after that

Cheers W.B. Going to make a real go for the sub-20 over the next couple of months. In a similar situation to yourself in that baby number three is due in the autumn so I want to try to fulfill as many goals as possible in the coming months as things will no doubt change drastically from then on. :) Thinking now of having a go at a half marathon in the summertime. Mind you, the thoughts of running over twice yesterday`s distance is a little daunting to say the least. Thanks for the encouragement and good luck with your training. Will be interested to see how you get on over the next while as the sleepless nights will all be ahead of me very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Concerned2

That was an excellent race Ed . Just to reiterate what the other guys have said above I think you are very close to breaking that 20 min 5k goal. That last K split especially shows you have plenty of speed in them legs. Its amazing you've knocked 12 mins :eek: off your PB in less than a year ! I'm dead jealous :D

Very hilly 10k this afternoon in 49.34, average 4.57/km. First time doing this particular route. Really attacked hills at a fair tilt, slowing to a jog for a minute or two to recover after each. Can imagine that this kind of workout will be a real strength builder if I throw it in once a week over the next few weeks. No real ill effects after Sunday`s race. Next target is a 5k PB either Leixlip or Donore. Hopefully sub-21...anything else would be a bonus.

Concerned2 wrote: »
    That was an excellent race Ed . Just to reiterate what the other guys have said above I think you are very close to breaking that 20 min 5k goal. That last K split especially shows you have plenty of speed in them legs. Its amazing you've knocked 12 mins :eek: off your PB in less than a year ! I'm dead jealous :D

Thanks a lot! Delighted the way things went. The best thing about this training log is that I`m actually beginning to believe you guys and feel that I can break 20 mins. Left to my own devices and self-doubt I wouldn`t even dream of it. So the motivating powers of the logs has been a real factor so far. Thanks to all. :)

• Advertisement

1km warm up followed by 2km @ 3.53/km (7.45), 1.30 recovery, 2km @ 3.56/km (7.54), 1.30 recovery, 1km @ 3.58/km, 1min recovery, 1km @ 3.47/km. 1km cool down. Fairly tough going but pleased at being able to keep both 2kms under 4mins/km and had enough left for fairly quick final km. First 2km was possibly a little too quick. Hope to build on this by trying 2 x 3km at same pace next week and so on building up to 4k eventually. Lovely morning for a run. Hope this weather continues!

1km warm up followed by 2 x 15mins @ 4.23/km and 4.29/km with 2mins jog in between. Plan had been to keep both at 4.26/km. I find these sessions very tough for some reason and on paper they should be fine. Particularly the second 15mins which I really had to dig deep for this morning. I know that I can sustain a pace of under 4.20/km over 10k but today I struggled to keep at 4.26 for just two sets of 15mins. Maybe it's a bit of tiredness creeping in. I suppose I have pushed myself a little in recent days.

Got an awful stomach bug at the end of last week and was in bed for three days from Saturday. Totally wiped me out for all of last week. Couldn't eat a thing for days and even when I did manage to start eating again I could only manage toast. Still not the best after it. Tried to get out for a run on Friday but even though I was taking it really handy I had to pull up after about half a mile. Just felt too weak. Really frustrating as it felt like all my hard training had been wiped clean. I know I just need to ease back into things now and listen to the body and not overdo it. Will try a light jog tomorrow and take things from there. Have decided only to do Donore 5k this month even though there are a few nice races coming up.

Got back into things properly today. 5.9k in 27.21 @ 4.40/km. Didn`t feel great tbh but I think that was more the psychological than the physical. Really struggled on the third and fourth kms but managed a fairly quick final km. Just glad to be back running. Looking forward to getting out a couple of times over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

EdMoses wrote: »
    Got back into things properly today. 5.9k in 27.21 @ 4.40/km. Didn`t feel great tbh but I think that was more the psychological than the physical. Really struggled on the third and fourth kms but managed a fairly quick final km. Just glad to be back running. Looking forward to getting out a couple of times over the next few days.

Did Eddie get back into it? No update from him in over two weeks:confused:

I'm missing your updates and tips for training:P

Cleanman wrote: »
    Did Eddie get back into it? No update from him in over two weeks:confused:

I'm missing your updates and tips for training:P

Hi Cleanman. Haven`t been out in almost four weeks now! An illness in the family has been the main cause. Things have settled a bit now and I`m going to attempt to get out for a few kms in the morning. Dreading it to be honest...feels like ages since I last ran. Will take it nice and handy and see how I go. Watch this space! :)

Hi to all! Has been almost three months since I've done any proper training. And boy does it show!! A bit of family upheaval put a halt to my gallop in recent months. It was just impossible to get out. Started back tentatively a fortnight ago and it was as if I'd gone back to square one. Have taken it fairly easy since, trying to get out every second day for a 5 mile jog. Even managed a very slow 10 miles on Sunday. Mind you, I pulled up this morning 3km into a 10km run even though I was only going at what would have been a snail's pace of 5:20/km back in April. So I guess to a degree I'm starting from scratch again. Going to try to build things up slowly and see where I go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Welcome back. In similar boat myself.

Take it handy - will watch your log with interest.

Advertisement