Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros and Cons of Stadium Concerts

Options
  • 25-02-2011 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

I had this argument with my cousin before christmas because he prefers going to arena shows.
    I like both arenas and stadiums but here are the reasons I enjoy stadium gigs.

Pros :
    Fresh air
    Better range of support acts (for U2 I saw The Script and Bell X1 beforehand)
    Better from business POV (bands who sell out arenas within minutes)
    Fireworks and better outdoor extras
    Good atmosphere (especially during summer months)

Cons :

View obstructed for high-seated fans???
    Hard to find your seats maybe???
    Not the best for live recordings (like live CD releases etc.)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Ive only been to a stadium gig twice U2 and Bon Jovi. One of my favourite parts was the atmosphere especially during U2 i noticed it more when people are singing , voices are coming from all directions and it helps keep the atmosphere together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

One thing that annoyed me from when I was at a stadium concert was

The delay in audio if you are at the back
    Seeing all of the empty space at the back

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Don't like them myself, been to a couple and the sound quality was poor ,(awful when windy! ) ... if you're up in the stands all you can do is watch the screens as the performers are like ants on stage.....and if its raining.....well theres 60+ euros down the toilet!! Nah....give me an arena anyday!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Pros :

Cons :

Woeful Sound
    Woeful View
    You might as well watch a live DVD cos you're going to end up looking at the "Jumbo-Vision" screens.
    Its Ireland therefore it rains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

I think the good atmosphere could apply to both really.

The sound is one that really bothers me at outdoor shows so that's definitely a con.

For pro, stadium shows feel like more of an event rather than just another date on a tour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Is fresh air really that much of a pro? Is the air even that fresh when there's 60,000 people there?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Pros; Good atmosphere

Cons; Rain/Wind
    So many people
    Poor sound
    Too big/Too far back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

RayCon wrote: »
    You might as well watch a live DVD cos you're going to end up looking at the "Jumbo-Vision" screens.

Nail. Head.

I still dont get why they dont have Live PPV concerts!

Basically, any seat will be a shoyt view

If ye want a decent standin spot, ye hafta queue and stand for hours on end

And the likes of the RDS, they usually have a round/square stage, so they're only playing to your side for 1/4 of the show

Pain in the mickey irriz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

unreggd wrote: »
    I still dont get why they dont have Live PPV concerts!

I wish they did things like this for absolutely massive shows that sell out in minutes.

Any big stadium show has all the cameras anyway.

Advertisement