Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast growing flower

Options
  • 25-02-2011 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm looking for a fast growing flower, something that can be planted in a pot next week with children, and then will grow and flower within weeks.

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm looking for a fast growing flower, something that can be planted in a pot next week with children, and then will grow and flower within weeks.

Thanks for your help :)

I started thinking of all the Annual Flowers that would suit ...
    And Most won't ...what came to my mind was the weeds in our gardens... Bittercress and Annual Meadow Grass... I have looked up on the net and if you try find something under a ephemeral plants list that may suit your needs...

Think about using edible Sprouts ....from sowing to eating can be between 7-10 days depending type

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i think you are showing children how plants grow, in lidl there are fine bags of bulbs of every kind going, and if you are keeping in a frost free place it will be easier with bulbs than seeds, they grow fast enough, they also have seeds, the annual seed packet is the fastest to come, keep away from the hardy and half hardy annuals as that is a sign they flower next yr, while the annual will flower this summer it is not frost hardy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Have you thought of things like cress and beansprouts? I know they're not flowers but they're amazing to children, they grow and are edible within a matter of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Suttons do a range called 'Fastflowers' which are easy to raise.
    http://www.suttons.co.uk/Shop/Fastflowers/List/

But fast means anywhere from 6 weeks, you simply won't get faster than that. B&Q and Woodies stock Suttons seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No flower - and its a bit early in the season for flowers anyway - but the staple 'demonstration' of my childhood was a bean. Put a tube of folded kitchen paper into a jamjar, pad lightly with screwed up newspaper or kitchen paper to keep the outside layer in place, poke a couple of beans between the glass and the kitchen paper, add water (about half an inch) and watch it grow! It will sprout and start to grow in a few days.

We used to use red kidney beans but they are not safe to eat until they are boiled (ie, make sure the kids don't put them in their mouth), so maybe get a packet of green beans or french beans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

That's a big help everyone, thanks a million :)

Advertisement