Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ricardo Villalobos ticket price...

Options
  • 25-02-2011 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hello there everyone,

I am a long-term lover of clubbing and live music who is fed up of being ripped off by Irish promoters. Upon hearing of Ricardo Villalobos’s imminent return to Dublin on March 11th, and seeing the extortionate fee being charged for entry, again, I decided to contact Villalobos’s management regarding the issue. Below is the correspondence; please read and let me know what you think? Am I being unfair in my complaint? Is it a fair price? Very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Ricardo Villalobos is represented by Goetz, at Cocoon. I contacted him via the agency and this is what was said.

“Hello Michael,

thanks for your mail.

May I can ask what you have paid for the Ricardo ticket?

Thanks
    Goetz”

“Hi Goetz,

Thanks for your swift response.

The Dublin ticket is 29.80 euros and Ricardo would be playing for no longer than 3 hours due to the Irish club opening hours. The following night Ricardo is playing Fabric with Shackleton, Appleblim, Craig Richards, Simon Baker, Ralph Lawson etc etc, and the price is 23.29 euros. Ricardo will probably also play a long set..

I am a long term admirer of what Ricardo does and feel that he has climbed to the top of the dance music world through talent, hard work and integrity; which is why I felt compelled to get in touch about this event.

We feel that the price for the Dublin gig is vastly over priced and completely unfair; Ireland is going through one of the worst economic periods in it's history and many people are unemployed with little money. At times like this a visit from someone like Ricardo is a chance for people to let go and enjoy themselves; forgetting the problems of every day life. As I'm sure you know, he is like a folk hero. Being charged nearly 30 euro to see him in a venue designed for bands, not club music, for a fraction of the time he plays other locations leaves a bad taste in the mouth.The promoter of the event, !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!, is known through Dublin for ALWAYS over charging people and making as much money for himself as possible. Irish clubbers are sick and tired of it.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Kind regards

Michael”

“Hi Michael,

I made the deal with !!!!!!!!!! and know what Ricardo get per night. I see what the promoter, !!!!!!!!!!, has left for paying,

• Artist + Sidecosts Sidecosts (Agency, Travel, 2 x Accommodation 2 x , Dinners Drivers, etc. PP)
    • Supporingt artist
    • Sound (he´ll for sure install extra PA to providea top sound as he always do and what are tech rider priority point for Ricardo)
    • Promotion
    • Security
    • Venue Rent!!!
    • Foreign Artist Taxes
    • TAX
    • VAT
    • Insurance
    • Profit! The promoter MUST have profit in the end..otherwise he´s starting selling Hamburgers instead invest his money for doing parties and lose every time. No promoters = no partys, No partys..= no life;)

Beside the entrance the promoter has nothing from the bar. NADA. But he has to pay everything from the entrance AND..has the risk. The risk of..what ever. Snowblissazrd, hunderstorm..:)…etc.

!!!!!!!!!! need the people to come to cover the costs AND…to present the artists an good event. Otherwise the artists don´t come back in worst cases.

You also can not compare an "simple" traditional Promoter with an Club such as Fabric. Fabric controls all what´s going on in the club and have an completely different structure and businessplan than a promoter who invest money for getting out profit.

I can´t say, cause I just don´t know it, if !!!!!!!!!!!! overprice other events but after recalculate everything (I just did again after your mail) I can see and understand that this ticket price is high, but not way beyond reality. Honestly.

Anyway..I please you to use my mail I sent you as an information for you and maybe better understanding of the situation and not post it anywhere. If you do it anyway…I don´t care!

Have a good night with Ricardo and all the best

Goetz”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

I pissed myself at this bit ;

"You also can not compare an "simple" traditional Promoter with an Club such as Fabric. Fabric controls all what´s going on in the club and have an completely different structure and businessplan than a promoter who invest money for getting out profit."

I think his manager was fairly decent with that response, can't say too much or !!!!!!!!! might hear it back and be all thick! he did look at the pricing and I don't think you could had got him to be anymore truthful with his evaluation! he knows it ****ing high priced as you pointed out the lineup the following night being less than that!

my advice is just don't attend the flippin gigs! there are times they put on a dj/act I would walk across hot coals to hear play out but if it was the last gig on earth I wont put another cent in the pockets of !!!!!!!! and L!!!!r!!!!b

fair play for emailing the guy though, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

Good man for emailing, I saw this over at RA forums and was shocked at the price, the promoter is a scumbag for chargin this much, however it's the muppets who pay in at 30 euro who are the real cause of the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

I saw Villalobos play for 10hrs in amsterdam for €20.
    I can understand the €30 price he costs at least €5,000 to book for your party then add on all the above extra costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MikeyOSN

godwin wrote: »
    I saw Villalobos play for 10hrs in amsterdam for €20.
    I can understand the €30 price he costs at least €5,000 to book for your party then add on all the above extra costs

He costs a lot more than 5000euro, but the promoter has more than 30,000 to cover all the costs with....look how big The Academy is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭remedy dublin

Just so you all know......

Early bird tickets for Ricardo were 23e plus 2.50e for nearly 2 months on tickets.ie

Now....tickets are...
    26.50 plus 3e booking fee on tickets.ie
    26.50 plus 3.30 from RA.

From Ticketmaster.ie
    Online Full Price Ticket
    Ticket Price €29.50
    Service Charge
    €3.70 x 1
    SUBTOTAL
    €33.20

If your buying one from a ticket outlet, you dont pay the service charge.

And lastly, we have been doing group tickets deals for our facebook friends of 10 tickets for 200e. Alot of people have taken up this offer. if you wish to avail of this deal, please contact info@remedyireland.com

Its completely up to you which way you buy the tickets.

And lastly, the capacity of the academy is 850.

• Advertisement

You are lining your pockets. Everyone knows it.

Below is my final correspondence with the agent....

Hello Goetz,

So you are basically saying "we all gotta make a lot of money, so the price is tough".

You, Ricardo, Anthony and entourage should step down from the clouds for a few minutes, put down your glasses of Bollinger, and read the papers. Read about the real world and what it is like to reside within it. If then you still think that 30 euros for a 3 hour DJ set is reasonable and "not beyond reality", then you should either examine your conscience or seek mental health treatment.

The world for us minions is a difficult place to get by in, Goetz; I certainly will not be able to afford the 30 euro to see Ricardo on this occasion.

I thank you for your correspondence and explanation of the difficult economics of superstar DJing.

All the best to you as well.

Regards
    Michael O'Sullivan
    Just so you all know......

Early bird tickets for Ricardo were 23e plus 2.50e for nearly 2 months on tickets.ie

Now....tickets are...
    26.50 plus 3e booking fee on tickets.ie
    26.50 plus 3.30 from RA.

From Ticketmaster.ie
    Online Full Price Ticket
    Ticket Price €29.50
    Service Charge
    €3.70 x 1
    SUBTOTAL
    €33.20

If your buying one from a ticket outlet, you dont pay the service charge.

And lastly, we have been doing group tickets deals for our facebook friends of 10 tickets for 200e. Alot of people have taken up this offer. if you wish to avail of this deal, please contact info@remedyireland.com

Its completely up to you which way you buy the tickets.

And lastly, the capacity of the academy is 850.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I'm not even into this DJ but this is absolutely outrageous and anyone who pays that amount of money in is a worse fool,when i think i seen CJ Bolland and Frank De Wulf last month for a tenner, TWO legendary DJ's on the same night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Ramadanman and Mosca was €6 ffs. Charging €30 for 3 hours is an absolute disgrace.

I love Ireland and value it very much. The music scene is in the shadow of many many other countries because of **** like this. The promoters here care NOTHING about the scene, only the money they can make.

Villalobos is, whether you like his music or not, one of the best in the world. A unique talent. If you promote his music for the love of it, how could you also promote ****e like the pop that Remedy promotions also peddles (dj sets by bloody girls from ****e like Fade St)? Makes no sense. This is someone ONLY in it for the money.

I will do whatever I can to have an effect upon this event. It is time that people start speaking up and not accepting what is clearly wrong. If I can persuade only 1 person not to attend this I will be happy. I'm going to try for a whole lot more though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

jesus........if you don't think he's worth €30, don't go.

It really really really couldn't be any simpler.

Personally, I wouldn't pay one euro to see who i reckon is the most over-rated human being in electronic music, so therefore I won't go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

jtsuited wrote: »
    jesus........if you don't think he's worth €30, don't go.

It really really really couldn't be any simpler.

Personally, I wouldn't pay one euro to see who i reckon is the most over-rated human being in electronic music, so therefore I won't go.

for once jeff i agree with you :eek:;)

The Agent isn't making the promoter/club charge €30 so I don't know why you're having a go at him.
    I love Villalobos and have caught him playing at many venues around Europe , but wouldn't pay €30 to see him in dublin.
    MikeyOSN wrote: »
    You are lining your pockets. Everyone knows it.

Below is my final correspondence with the agent....

Hello Goetz,

So you are basically saying "we all gotta make a lot of money, so the price is tough".

You, Ricardo, Anthony and entourage should step down from the clouds for a few minutes, put down your glasses of Bollinger, and read the papers. Read about the real world and what it is like to reside within it. If then you still think that 30 euros for a 3 hour DJ set is reasonable and "not beyond reality", then you should either examine your conscience or seek mental health treatment.

The world for us minions is a difficult place to get by in, Goetz; I certainly will not be able to afford the 30 euro to see Ricardo on this occasion.

I thank you for your correspondence and explanation of the difficult economics of superstar DJing.

All the best to you as well.

Regards
    Michael O'Sullivan

Absolutely Godwin, but the agent is representing RV, and how RV is perceived in the public is very much his responsibility. The 30 euro ticket price does not paint a positive picture.... Seemingly, though, he does not care (have no doubt that 10/15% of the money has something to do with that)

godwin wrote: »
    The Agent isn't making the promoter/club charge €30 so I don't know why you're having a go at him.
    I love Villalobos and have caught him playing at many venues around Europe , but wouldn't pay €30 to see him in dublin.

last comment from us about this

You can go to this gig for 20euro if you avail of the group offer.
    info@remedyireland.com

If you want to book tickets through www.ticketmaster.ie they cost over 30 euro online.

It's up to you which way you buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

jonnny68 wrote: »
    for once jeff i agree with you :eek:;)

Aw crap!
    The frogs and locusts can't be far now.

but the agent is representing RV, and how RV is perceived in the public is very much his responsibility.

No , the agent is there to handle his bookings and make sure contractual obligations are fulfilled. Villalobos is in demand so they can charge what they want.
    The 30 euro ticket price does not paint a positive picture....

The agent has no say in what the club/promoter charges you , so it's not the agents fault the promoter is stiffing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Michael, you're coming across pretty obsessive about this to be honest.

They can charge 40 euro if they want ffs. It's not up to you to dictate the price. The whole "my god, there's a recession on" argument is redundant. No-one's pulling people out of the dole cue, sticking a few yokes in their hand and booting them up the hole into the Villalobos gig.

If the gig turns out to be empty, you're right and they got their pricing wrong, but I bet they'll fill it. Market forces etc.

I paid a fortune for concert tickets in the 02 a while back, and yes, they were cheaper in London, and probably I paid double than some parts of the tour that had been to poorer countries. That's life.

Just want to note that i'm in no way associated with the promoters, but just think that this thread is a big load of nothing. Big names are 20-30 quid, what's new?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

daRobot wrote: »
    Big names are 20-30 quid, what's new?
    If you go to Tripod maybe, or the annual Villalobos Remedy gig. I mean the average price in Twisted Pepper or Kennedys is about €12 which are far better venues in my opinion. If a few promoters think they can get away with charging 20-30, they will ruin the clubbing scene in Dublin. It's a known fact MCD way over charge for concerts but if the gob****es turn up at the door why would they reduce their prices.

I know many promoters who are not in it for the money at all I would like to know how one could charge €20 for a group ticket and closer to €30 for a single ticket, that tells me your markup on single tickets is around 13-14 euro multiply that by a few hundred punters :eek: Marcel Dettmann in Twisted Pepper was only €12 likewise Sandwell District, Ben Klock and Robert Hood where similar prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I won't be going abroad for at least the first half of this year. This will be my only chance to see Villalobos in the forseeable future, I got my ticket. My mate's bird works for a promotions company and got it for me for €23. I'm sorry if I'm partly resonsible for the perceived fall of the clubbing scene but I guess I'm just selfish like that.

FWIW it's not what I'd spend on a typical gig by any means. Most nights I've been to in the last year were in TP or Crawdaddy; typically between €10 - €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

I remember last year or the year before (the thread was on here somewhere) it was something like 30 odd quid to see Vitalic in the Academy as well and someone pointed out he was playing in Leeds the following week for about £10...ridiculous

Vote with your feet...personally wouldnt pay more than 20 to see Villalobos... especially not in the Academy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

A fool and their money...

Man, the "my God, there's a recession on" argument about prices of everything in Ireland - entertainment, rent etc - will only become redundant once there is a significant drop in unemployment and the economy recovers.

Nobody is forcing anyone from the dole queue to go to the event - you are right - they are just excluding them instead, and countless other people who do have jobs, but can't afford 30 quid.

So if they fill it, you think that they have the pricing right? So basically you are of the thinking that if they can get it "fair play to them, good business...". From a capitalist point of view the right and wrong is about whether we (the promoter) makes a load of money; from my point of view the right and wrong is about being fair to my fellow country man and not continuing with the madness of greed that messed our land up.

You have the right to pay whatever you like for tickets and if you want to pay more than other countries, for no reason other than the promoter wanting to get rich, that is your prerogative. Big names are 20/30 quid, yeah, nothing new.....and aint that the problem? We need some new around here! Out with the old...

daRobot wrote: »
    Michael, you're coming across pretty obsessive about this to be honest.

They can charge 40 euro if they want ffs. It's not up to you to dictate the price. The whole "my god, there's a recession on" argument is redundant. No-one's pulling people out of the dole cue, sticking a few yokes in their hand and booting them up the hole into the Villalobos gig.

If the gig turns out to be empty, you're right and they got their pricing wrong, but I bet they'll fill it. Market forces etc.

I paid a fortune for concert tickets in the 02 a while back, and yes, they were cheaper in London, and probably I paid double than some parts of the tour that had been to poorer countries. That's life.

Just want to note that i'm in no way associated with the promoters, but just think that this thread is a big load of nothing. Big names are 20-30 quid, what's new?

So if they fill it, you think that they have the pricing right?
    If they fill it, and there's still more people trying to get in, they'll probably charge more next time.

Go look up 'Supply and Demand'

I am aware of supply and demand thank-you.

The support for the promoter here from some of you is extraordinary.

I truly believe that this is a joke-price and cannot understand the thinking that it is not, or the "if you don't like it just don't go" mentality. I want to go and see various different acts play in Ireland and I refuse to accept that it ''is just how it is" that if I am not willing to pay extortionate rates I can't go.
    joker77 wrote: »
    If they fill it, and there's still more people trying to get in, they'll probably charge more next time.

Go look up 'Supply and Demand'

Never said I was supporting the promotor, I just think that anyone who pays that price is an idiot. And if there are enough idiots, then promoters will keep charging those prices.

It's fairly simple stuff really.

There are lots of idiots man, true. I just don't think that the rest of us should suffer while some promoters take advantage of that fact.

Lots of idiots borrowed **** loads of money from banks and have been snared by the short and curlies by them for the rest of their lives. Should those who knew better just say nothing to the banks? I dont think so..

I think speaking out against what is wrong, is the right thing to do..
    joker77 wrote: »
    Never said I was supporting the promotor, I just think that anyone who pays that price is an idiot. And if there are enough idiots, then promoters will keep charging those prices.

It's fairly simple stuff really.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we do live in a market capitalist society yeah?

Mikey, it's this simple............

If you think it's not worth €30, don't pay it.

I can guarantee with the amount of saps out there who think Villalobos is a god, it will sell out.

I think speaking out against what is wrong, is the right thing to do..

In what parallel universe is pricing a commodity based on supply and demand 'wrong'?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Give over man, as jsuited said if you dont like it just dont go. They will make their money on this night, why would they bother charging less if they can make more.

I think Ricardo is a very good dj, he was epic at life fest last year, but i wont go because the ticket price is far too high and the academy is a ****ty venue.

Welcome to capitalism, where greed is good.

• Advertisement

just an idea...

why dont 10 of who think the price is too expensive just pm each other, sort it out to buy together and get the ticket deal for 20e each.

plenty of strangers are doing that on facebook at the mo, to get the 20e tickets. makes complete sense.

Advertisement