Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ricardo Villalobos ticket price...

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

And in the carefree Acid House days all the promoters done it all purely for the love of the music. :rolleyes: Early rave tickets cost £25 back in 1989 and most of them were run to make as much money for the promoters as possible.

The gig in Traffic was in 2004, ticket prices and his cache as a DJ have risen since then. They charge what they'll get.

did you see what you got for £25, a mega Rave with a funfair which went on all night and well into the next day with dozens of DJ's, that's good value for money in my book, and not every Rave cost £25 either and contrary to what you said for a period of time it wasn't all about the money, ask Wayne Anthony who used to put on the legendary Genesis Raves did he do it for the money, no he didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

jonnny68 wrote: »
    did you see what you got for £25, a mega Rave with a funfair which went on all night and well into the next day with dozens of DJ's, that's good value for money in my book, and not every Rave cost £25 either and contrary to what you said for a period of time it wasn't all about the money, ask Wayne Anthony who used to put on the legendary Genesis Raves did he do it for the money, no he didn't.

Are you telling me that he went from organising raves for 300 people to accommodating 15,000 ravers at Genesis without making a truckload of money being part of the consideration? And what about Tony Colston - Hayter and all the other public schoolboys who organised the raves at the beginning. They might have liked the music but I'm willing to wager that they loved the money even more.

There will always be promoters in any scene (Dance, Indie, Metal, whatever) who will do it purely for the love of the music, profit or loss, and there's others who'll be keen to make a profit from it.

Are you telling me that he went from organising raves for 300 people to accommodating 15,000 ravers at Genesis without making a truckload of money being part of the consideration? And what about Tony Colston - Hayter and all the other public schoolboys who organised the raves at the beginning. They might have liked the music but I'm willing to wager that they loved the money even more.

There will always be promoters in any scene (Dance, Indie, Metal, whatever) who will do it purely for the love of the music, profit or loss, and there's others who'll be keen to make a profit from it.
    he did make some money alright but he lived the dream and it was all spent but he wasn't in it solely for the money whereas Colston -Hayter was,of course there are always promoters in every music genre in it solely for the cash doesn't mean it's right though.

we need more events like the famous Castlemorton 1992 Rave festival organised by Spiral Tribe, free and it went on for over a week.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4amMvs-_-GU

he did make some money alright but he lived the dream and it was all spent but he wasn't in it solely for the money whereas Colston -Hayter was,of course there are always promoters in every music genre in it solely for the cash doesn't mean it's right though.

Well if people are willing to accept what the promoter is selling then fair enough. But from reading this thread and others there seems to be little love for Remedy which would mean they should have a look at how they are organising their gigs and what they're charging. Tbf, Remedy are probably going after the three dance gigs a year crowd who are probably willing to spend a bit more on a ticket for a big name. The special group offers though would probably suggest though that there probably isn't as many people as before willing to pay the 30 euro as before. The whole fooking twat thing and hoping the guy defaults on his mortgage were a bit low in my book
    we need more events like the famous Castlemorton 1992 Rave festival organised by Spiral Tribe, free and it went on for over a week.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4amMvs-_-GU

But Castlemorton was the reason that the Tories were able to bring in the Criminal Justice Bill without any opposition which destroyed the rave movement and the glory days you talk about Jonny. So the legacy of Castlemorton is a pretty awful one...

Well if people are willing to accept what the promoter is selling then fair enough. But from reading this thread and others there seems to be little love for Remedy which would mean they should have a look at how they are organising their gigs and what they're charging. Tbf, Remedy are probably going after the three dance gigs a year crowd who are probably willing to spend a bit more on a ticket for a big name. The special group offers though would probably suggest though that there probably isn't as many people as before willing to pay the 30 euro as before. The whole fooking twat thing and hoping the guy defaults on his mortgage were a bit low in my book

But Castlemorton was the reason that the Tories were able to bring in the Criminal Justice Bill without any opposition which destroyed the rave movement and the glory days you talk about Jonny. So the legacy of Castlemorton is a pretty awful one...

The tories had decided way before to introduce the CJB so i doubt Castlemorton would;ve made much difference, it was one of a kind a woodstock for Ravers i cursed myself for missing it ive spoken to people who went and they said it was literally a life changing experience being there.

Anyway ill leave it at that.

• Advertisement

The tories had decided way before to introduce the CJB so i doubt Castlemorton would;ve made much difference, it was one of a kind a woodstock for Ravers i cursed myself for missing it ive spoken to people who went and they said it was literally a life changing experience being there.

Anyway ill leave it at that.

The CJB was passed in 1994 and many point to the media coverage and the anger of locals in Castlemorton in 92 the reason for the introduction of the legislation. I think the fact that it had a huge number of new age travellers at it as well probably didn't help the cause. I can't find any reference to the CJB pre 1992.

Actually some interesting background to Castlemorton from the hippy side of things here:

http://www.ukhippy.com/stuff/archive/index.php/t-37458.html

Seems the police were herding all the new age travellers from other free festivals they had shut down to Castlemorton to create the perfect storm in terms of ammunition they could use against the free festival and rave scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MikeyOSN

Any word on how RV gig went>?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Villalobos was good, that was about it. I remembered quickly enough that the Academy's a **** spot for gig; bad sound and ****ing rude, stresshead bouncers who were turning back a fair amount of not-too-drunk people for apparently being completely inebriated - that crap is seriously not on given the high ticket prices.

Will be sticking to dedicated dance clubs with decent soundsystems and entrance fees below the €15 mark in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 NoUAre

Guys I know who were at it said he walked off at one stage and didn't come back.

Who was warming up for/taking over from him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Oh yeah, when I say the sound was bad, I mean it was ****ed - like stopped 3 times ****ed.

I didn't see it happening, but one of my mates said Villalobos was clearly discontented with the setup (cables tangled all over the gaff) so a helpful member of security decided to sort the issue by plugging out the power.

Shambles.

Advertisement