Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A quick note on Kiddiecare orders to Ireland

• 25-02-2011 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I live in the UK but rather than haul lots of baby equipment across the Irish sea every time I take a trip I have two of each of the bigger items my daughter needs, one set in Ireland the other at home here in England.

Anyway, our daughter has recently outgrown her car seat so I bought one fro Kiddiecare and installed it in the car. It suits her really well so I last night decided to order a second one, for Ireland.

Today, I noticed that the order had been cancelled for "Security reasons".

Shock, horror! Am I a terrorist? Perhaps I'm a dangerous convict of some sort? Perhaps MI5 are after me?

Nope, it turns out that Kiddiecare use the electoral register in Ireland to check that the people the order is addressed to, actually live at that address.

Now, we ordered for delivery to my Mum at my parent's address. Her official name on her birth cert is different to the everyday name she is known as (thanks to her sharing the same name as my Gran).* So we addressed it to her everyday name but she's registered on the electorate with her 'official name'.

So two lessons here:

Firstly, if you are ordering something to be delivered as a present to someone, make sure they are on the electoral register, otherwise your order is going nowhere (apparently)!

Secondly, if they have a commonly used name that is different to their actual name order it in their official name that is used on the register.

I'm still trying to sort this out with Kiddiecare :mad:

The irony of this happening on the day of the GE is not lost on me :D

*This is more common that you would think, I know someone called Una, whose real name is actually Agnes, likewise I knew someone called Peig but her real name was Cathy...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

That's weird!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

That's really weird!
    There is a way that people can block companies from seeing that they're on the registerl so that the only reason your name can be taken from it is to be called from jury duty, so if someone had done this Kiddicare wouldn't be able to see them on the register.
    As long as they're getting paid it's very strange that they'd do that!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I get my kiddicare orders delivered to work....

Some places will only deliver to credit card addresses which makes sense or want proof of address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I get my kiddicare orders delivered to work....
    Yeah but was it delivered to you and did you pay with a credit card in your name? If so that's not a problem, they knw exactly who they are sending it to.

If it's paid by one person on an English credit card, registered to an English address but delivered to another person in another country, that's when the problem occurs.

Also, if I got it delivered to my workplace, that would defeat the purpose of trying to get it delivered to Ireland! :)

liliq, I think it's an anti-credit card fraud measure but it does make things a bit difficult given the scenarios I've outlined above.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have that issue with companies all the time and can understand why.

• Advertisement

a suggestion is use paypal and add the irish address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah i got my stuff delivered to a verified Paypal address no probs.

I can't blame Kiddiecare though. I always get free delivery from them so address problems could cost them the charge to returning it to the company too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Yeah but was it delivered to you and did you pay with a credit card in your name? If so that's not a problem, they knw exactly who they are sending it to.

If it's paid by one person on an English credit card, registered to an English address but delivered to another person in another country, that's when the problem occurs.

Also, if I got it delivered to my workplace, that would defeat the purpose of trying to get it delivered to Ireland! :)

liliq, I think it's an anti-credit card fraud measure but it does make things a bit difficult given the scenarios I've outlined above.

I have a had a problem with this the other way around. I ordered a present for my friends little boy in England on Amazon and they wouldn't deliver. In the end I used her mums credit card and transfered money to her!!

Advertisement