Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Waterford Bucket List

• 25-02-2011 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

As some may know I will soon be moving to the UK for a new job. It got me thinking, I've lived in Waterford for the vast majority of my 29 years on this earth, but there's probably loads of the county that I've never seen, things I've never done, experiences I've never had, restaurants I haven't dined in and pubs I haven't got hammered in!

So how about we make a list for the "must do" and "must see" things in Waterford? Things to do before you die/emigrate!

I'll start.

1. Swim in the Guilamenes/Newtown Cove.
    2. Climb to the top of the Mahon Falls.
    3. Take a spin out to Ardmore.
    4. Have a pint in Downes.
    5. Eat a blaa.
    6. Go to a Waterford Hurling match. (Preferably where they win an All-Ireland - still waiting for that!)

Obviously these are all things I've done. Any suggestions for something I might not have done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The Magic road and walk around Comeraghs too,
    Spraoi weekend
    Go see a play in Garter Lane, (very up close and personal),
    Lismore is the business too,
    Waterford Cystal factory tour worth a go,
    Museum of Tresures is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

A walk round the dunes in Tramore- beautiful
    Get the ferry at Passage East
    See the wild goats, spot a red squirrel, sight an otter, glimpse a mountain hare and spy on a pine marten
    Suir valley rail way
    Walk to the top of Coumshingaun - look around and imagine you are in Lord of the Rings
    Enter Crotty's cave and watch out for the ghost
    Have a pint in Jack Meads (on the way to passage east) and the Marina Bar (near Dungarvan)
    Run the winter league (Waterford)
    The blue grass festival (Dunmore)
    Walk the beach in Annestown
    As for food and resaturants I'd recommend the Slovakian restaurant on Mary St. Waterford and the Seanachai pub near Dungarvan - also doubles up for a good pint
    Dungarvan ale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

A walk round the dunes in Tramore- beautiful
    Get the ferry at Passage East
    See the wild goats, spot a red squirrel, sight an otter, glimpse a mountain hare and spy on a pine marten
    Suir valley rail way
    Walk to the top of Coumshingaun - look around and imagine you are in Lord of the Rings
    Enter Crotty's cave and watch out for the ghost
    Have a pint in Jack Meads (on the way to passage east) and the Marina Bar (near Dungarvan)
    Run the winter league (Waterford)
    The blue grass festival (Dunmore)
    Walk the beach in Annestown
    As for food and resaturants I'd recommend the Slovakian restaurant on Mary St. Waterford and the Seanachai pub near Dungarvan - also doubles up for a good pint
    Dungarvan ale

wheres that cave!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

O Riain wrote: »
    wheres that cave!
    Towards the rear of the lake on the cliff face. Story goes that Crotty was a highway in Waterford and he would outrun the law by running up the Comeraghs. He would hide out in the cave until the coast was clear and could go back about his business. When Crotty was eventually caught, hung, drawn and quartered, his wife threw herself from the rocks above the lake and to this day her ghost is thought to reside in Crotty's cave. A hermit called Lackendara who lived in an old hut near Coumshingaun refused to enter the cave for this very reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

And where is this lake?
    There is so much about waterford I don't know.
    :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

And where is this lake?
    There is so much about waterford I don't know.
    :O

Coumshingaun is probably the most beautiful part of Waterford. Its about 2km from the road. Its not exactly hard-core alpinism required to get there, but it is rough ground, so if you go looking for it its best not to go alone, unless you are happy reading a map.

This site includes a map. I wouldn't do the loop walk around the top of the lake unless you are reasonably fit, have good boots and rain gear, and are with someone who can read a map etc. But the lake itself is a great spot for a picnic.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=211645

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Max Powers wrote: »
    The Magic road and walk around Comeraghs too,
    Spraoi weekend
    Go see a play in Garter Lane, (very up close and personal),
    Lismore is the business too,
    Waterford Cystal factory tour worth a go,
    Museum of Tresures is very good

Waterford Crystal Factory Tour?

You may as well go on the Magical Magical Mystery Tour because they dont exist! Did I miss something or is the only factory still operating in f*kn Czekoslovakia or Indonesia somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

chelloveks wrote: »
    Waterford Crystal Factory Tour?

You may as well go on the Magical Magical Mystery Tour because they dont exist! Did I miss something or is the only factory still operating in f*kn Czekoslovakia or Indonesia somewhere?
    I assume he means the new visitor's centre downtown.

• Take a walk around the back alleys and streets to see all the old walls and ruins.
    • Bag of fish n chips from Dooley's in Tramore after a day arsin around on the beach and the dunes.
    • Spend all of Spraoi weekend around town, stay with friends living around the town if you have to. Top it off with Torann for the Spraoi afterparty in The Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Summers day spent in Jack Meades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Lismore is a must for any Waterford person, its an absolutely beautiful little town. When your up there you should have a walk up the Vee, its not too far from Waterford, about a 20 min drive I would think max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Also, have a pint in Haughtons pub. As far as I know its meant to be the smallest pub in Ireland (correct me if im wrong though). Its a small cottage that is used as a pub, its about 2miles outside Kilmeaden on the main raod to Cork, just before you come to Carrolls cross .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

visit Reginald Tower
    take a walk up to the 18th tee box in waterford golf club, its a fantastc view of the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

climb the round tower in portlaw woods and on a good day you can see 4 counties.

take a spin along the suir on the suir valley railway.

take out a paddle boat on the lake in tramore amusements

visit st declans well in lismore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Straycat wrote: »
    climb the round tower in portlaw woods and on a good day you can see 4 counties.

Where in Portlaw woods is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

as portlaw is not google maps friendly yet, ive added a link, if you use the square in the centre of portlaw as a start point and follow the red line right about where it finishes you will find a forestry gateway on your left, go straight up the hill on the forestry road/path (it is not accesible by car) for about almost a km and the tower is on the left. (it is also sometimes locked, but mostly open)

http://classic.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/birr/899129892788581933

here is the forestry enterance.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Portlaw,+Ireland&aq=0&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=31.150864,78.662109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Portlaw,+County+Waterford,+Ireland&ll=52.315656,-7.345436&spn=0,0.002401&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.315619,-7.345731&panoid=qvSPAFMv5RmrWXhLHLtmuA&cbp=12,228.18,,0,5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭foghlu

Also, have a pint in Haughtons pub. As far as I know its meant to be the smallest pub in Ireland (correct me if im wrong though). Its a small cottage that is used as a pub, its about 2miles outside Kilmeaden on the main raod to Cork, just before you come to Carrolls cross .......

Think its the smallest bar counter in Ireland not sure about smallest pub...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Looking at this thread ,and if I'm honest it is a bit too lovey dovey for me.....walking on beaches etc etc .
    If it was a real bucket list and I was about to check out , and therefore not face any punishments I think I maybe a bit nastier ,darker.

1. Kneecap one or two local trouble making d*ckheads
    2. Kidnap any serial objectors (if they're any living here :rolleyes: )and make them eat one rotten tomato for every single objection they have ever lodged.
    3. Tar and feathers one or two Traffic wardens
    4. Acid the Mayor's Car.
    5. Enjoy a few cigarettes in the corporation/ city council offices.
    6. Skin up in the court house.

Just a few that come to mind ,
    Anyone else ????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Looking at the other thread ,and if I'm honest it was a bit too lovey dovey for me walking on beaches etc etc .
    If it was a real bucket list and I was about to check out , and therefore not face any punishments I think I maybe a bit nastier ,darker.

2. Kidnap any serial objectors (if they're any living here :rolleyes: )and make them eat one rotten tomato for every single object they have ever lodged.
    4. Acid the Mayor's Car.

Anyone else ????????

wouldn't mind calling out to de la salle and kicking BA in the face. He might be dead already though I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Looking at this thread ,and if I'm honest it is a bit too lovey dovey for me.....walking on beaches etc etc .

2. Kidnap any serial objectors (if they're any living here :rolleyes: )and make them eat one rotten tomato for every single objection they have ever lodged.
    4. Acid the Mayor's Car.

Anyone else ????????

Sounds fun, but the OP is moving to the UK, not dying. And consequences (criminal records) can follow him there......

Its a pity cos I would have loved to see someone do ur list

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    wouldn't mind calling out to de la salle and kicking BA in the face. He might be dead already though I'm not sure.
    Gone with years. Last saw him in First Year chasing pigeons off his classroom window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

If you are into the horses, go on a Billy Trek from Stonehaven. Real heart in mouth stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

Straycat wrote: »

take a spin along the suir on the suir valley railway.

take out a paddle boat on the lake in tramore amusements

visit st declans well in lismore

fyp

visit st declans well in lismore ardmore

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bitter

Hi guys,

As some may know I will soon be moving to the UK for a new job. It got me thinking, I've lived in Waterford for the vast majority of my 29 years on this earth, but there's probably loads of the county that I've never seen, things I've never done, experiences I've never had, restaurants I haven't dined in and pubs I haven't got hammered in!

So how about we make a list for the "must do" and "must see" things in Waterford? Things to do before you die/emigrate!

I'll start.

1. Swim in the Guilamenes/Newtown Cove.
    2. Climb to the top of the Mahon Falls.
    3. Take a spin out to Ardmore.
    4. Have a pint in Downes.
    5. Eat a blaa.
    6. Go to a Waterford Hurling match. (Preferably where they win an All-Ireland - still waiting for that!)

Obviously these are all things I've done. Any suggestions for something I might not have done?

Watch Des Bishops show on work experience in Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

bitter wrote: »
    Watch Des Bishops show on work experience in Waterford
    drink a bottle of tom mahers own blend at the bar without sitting down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Get a battered sausage and chip in Lombard St takaway and eat it on a bench in Adelphy quay

Take a deep drag from your cigarette while sitting on the wall of Jurys carpark looking out over the city.

Ive been feeling a bit homesick over the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Popquiz_hotshot

Take the scenic drive from Dungarven to Dunmore. Did it today and the views are breathtaking:)

Eat an ice-cream while people watching on the prom in Tramore

Chicken fillet roll from the maxol cork road at 3am!!! esp when drunk!!

Go to Ring and try chat in our native tongue!!

Get sweets from Dunphys shop

Climb to the top of Dunhill castle (not a big climb lol)

Ring in to Billy and complain about something!!

Walk out onto the Red Iron bridge
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭celticutd87

Nice to see niall vinny and mary discussing on beat this morning seeing this thread on boards.ie and are taking a leaf out of boards book and asking people to send in things so that they can compile their own waterford bucket list. GO BOARDS!!!

P.S. Dive off the guilimenes in tramore. Craic!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Nice to see niall vinny and mary discussing on beat this morning seeing this thread on boards.ie and are taking a leaf out of boards book and asking people to send in things so that they can compile their own waterford bucket list. GO BOARDS!!!

P.S. Dive off the guilimenes in tramore. Craic!!!

More media mentions! Looks like the Waterford forum is becoming the go to place for local media. I suppose that means there are good topics being discussed by a decent group of people so fair play.

And to add to the topic: get some Leonida's chocolates from The Book Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Hope barefoot around the metal man and you should be married within the year.. well according to this anyway..

If you're male try it anyway and come back to us in 12 months and let know whats happened to you.. :D

Advertisement