Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why so serious?

Options
  • 25-02-2011 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

First off, sorry if this comes off like me having a go or anything, I'm just looking for answers :)

How come Boards.ie seems to take everything so mega serious? By that I mean, whenever anyone in the local forums criticises a local business, says they got bad service or whatever the mods jump in and tell them they aren't allowed to say it.

Why not? Why would Boards be liable for what others say? And what's wrong with slagging a business off that has treated you badly. It's one thing to be coming on saying so-and-so touches children, yes, but clubs with arséhole bouncers, restaurants with dodgy food, shops with rip off products or rude staff etc should be named and shamed surely?

I know it's a pretty big site, but I've been on a lot of big sites and never seen any so sensitive/strict about this kind of thing.

Like I said, not criticising, just asking (unless of course there's no good reason).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

First of all, there are plenty of forums on the site where humour is almost a prerequisite. It is nt as serious as you may think. :)

Secondly, the sad fact of the matter is that Boards.ie is liable for what people say about others, be it a person or a business. I am sure the employees of Boards.ie could tell you about the amount of legal threats they get every week.

Finally other sites probably are more lax simply due to the fact they are not as well known as Boards.ie, therefore as not as likely to show up on Google searches. They are therefore probably a lot less likely to get sued.

One or two recent events that have occurred on this site left me personally baffled as to (a) how quickly people are likely to threaten legal action over something trivial and (b) how the legal system actually facilitated such action.

Advertisement