Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Air rifle Question ...

Options
  • 25-02-2011 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hello all ,

Just asking a quick ,perhaps silly question ,on an air rifle which i recently purchased ... I can't recall the make of the gun as its in a relative's house at the moment but for target practice and other possible activites ,Im trying to figure out the power of the gun .

Im not to sure what power the air gun is but it says on the stock of the gun - May be dangerous up to 375 yards .It is a break barrell .22 air rifle ... Just wondering if ,given the max distance of the gun ( 375 - depending on what ammo is used ) could someone give me a rough estimate of what the power of the gun is ? In terms of joules or fps ?

I know this is probably a stupid question to ask but Im just chancing my arm asking it :D Somebody may know the approximate power of a gun that shoots around 375 yards ?

Anyways thanks in advance !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

It isn't a silly question, but it's difficult to answer accurately without more information about the rifle.

The 375 yards is just product liability lawyer-speak &/or health & safety bullsh*t. You've more chance of being killed by mutant lizard-thingies in the Cavan area than of being hurt by someone firing an ordinary air rifle at you from 375 yards.

Very rough guess, I'd imagine your rifle would be around 10ft-lbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

id agree with mr.fibble , i think most of the break barrel guns are around 8-12 ft.lb. I ws lookin up info on them a while back and most had a muzzel valosity of around 600 fps and an effective range of 40-60 meters on the likes of rabbits. did the dealer ya got it off not tell ya all that when ya bought it no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

The 375 yards is just product liability lawyer-speak &/or health & safety bullsh*t. You've more chance of being killed by mutant lizard-thingies in the Cavan area than of being hurt by someone firing an ordinary air rifle at you from 375 yards.

Hahahaha, mutant lizard thingies in Cavan...priceless !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BmxNoob

Thanks Mr.Flibble and Kildare thats the kind of answer im looking for .. I know its probably not an accurate estimate but might give me a better idea of the power !

Advertisement