Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight back against rip-off

Options
  • 25-02-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have had enough of the no come-back rip off business & shops, I am going to write up on here what & when it happens to me from now on, small or big rip off's

Starting with

Charlie Foleys pub Killarney, 1 bacardi & coke & 1 coke €9.60

Automainia Ballincollig Cork 25.02.11. 5pm. Items on the shelf are not priced. 1lt de-ionised water, I was charged €4. (No till receipt issued) last one I bought in Killarney 3 weeks ago cost €1.95

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I propose a "Name and Shame Rip off" thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Bruxelles saturday night pint of guinness 5.50e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

How ironic, you say fight back, then you list stuff you stupidly bought. A real fight back would be to list things you decided not to buy & let the retailer know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭alyuciao

OP .... great idea, pay no heed to the previous post, but he is right. Next time I'll be posting here too. Problem is that I live in Tokyo and everything is expensive.... except electrical goods.

The name and shame post; great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,778 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps name, shame and attach the receipt for all to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

Next time ur in a smallish shop have a look at the water/minerals which are sold individually but clearly state on the bottles "Not to be sold Seperately". its a rip off by the shop owner

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DELTATIP

cork city - {plumbing } Recently i declined to buy a 4 inch waste elbow from a blackpool pluming outfit blackpool industrail park cork charging E10
    a quote from the reps head

I told him it was E7.40 in atlantic homecare and to get real with his
    prices

Went to another pluming outfit cremins of blackpool cork and purchased
    the same elbow type E5.50

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

DELTATIP wrote: »
    cork city - {plumbing } Recently i declined to buy a 4 inch waste elbow from a blackpool pluming outfit blackpool industrail park cork charging E10
    a quote from the reps head

I told him it was E7.40 in atlantic homecare and to get real with his
    prices

Went to another pluming outfit cremins of blackpool cork and purchased
    the same elbow type E5.50

Were these all the same make? There's quite a difference in quality in the plumbing fittings industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DELTATIP

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Were these all the same make? There's quite a difference in quality in the plumbing fittings industry.

The 10 euro fitting was in the raw state -no brand or packaging
    the others were packaged and branded - What stiffled me was the uncertainty the rep showed when he thought before calling out the price -I think he thought of the first figure that came into his head and said it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

dmc101 wrote: »
    I have had enough of the no come-back rip off business & shops, I am going to write up on here what & when it happens to me from now on, small or big rip off's

Starting with

Automainia Ballincollig Cork 25.02.11. 5pm. Items on the shelf are not priced. 1lt de-ionised water, I was charged €4. (No till receipt issued) last one I bought in Killarney 3 weeks ago cost €1.95

How come alcohol has come down in price generally in all shops but pubs are still charging crazy prices??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

mcwhirter wrote: »
    How come alcohol has come down in price generally in all shops but pubs are still charging crazy prices??

Because a lot of pubs bought into the whole "refurb the pub and they will come" and spent fortunes. Also there are commercial rates that have not come down but in fact are increasing in a lot of cases along with the likes of diageo and Musgraves refusing to pass on any savings that may be had.

Im not defending the publicans and some of the €5+ pinters out there are takin the mickey but its not as simple as walking into tesco and comparing the price in the offlicence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Shops charge less for booze because they'll make up the difference on other products in store. Charge a tenner for ten beers, get the customers in and ramp up the cost of other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

mcwhirter wrote: »

Because wages still cost the same, heating bills have gone up, rent is still the same, rates are the same or have gone up. They'll pour the drink for you, you'll sit on their furniture, you'll watch their TV or listen to the live music, you'll enjoy the heat they provide and they'll pick up your glass when your finished and wash it.

Go to any place in the UK, a pint of decent beer is at least £3.50, (£3.90 in Birmingham a couple of week ago) on the continent, expect to pay up to €8 in some pubs, especially in Paris. €5 is cheap there!

Yes - the high cost of minerals - or more the fact that you can only buy them in 220ml sizes, is a bugbear. Bring in a 330ml size for the same price and that negativity may go away. (330ml glass bottle is standard mineral serving size in UK)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

91011 wrote: »
    on the continent, expect to pay up to €8 in some pubs, especially in Paris. €5 is cheap there!

They tend to nurse their beer a bit more on the continent (sweeping generalisation) with much less of the 2-pints-an-hour merchants than we have here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭kevin99

Did you ask for a receipt for the goods purchased? The shop is legally obliged to provide you with a receipt.

dmc101 wrote: »

Starting with

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Petrol almost everywhere €1.50 + per litre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Was after a replacement H2 60w headlight bulb for the wifes car, went to Halfords in Galway to get it.

A single bulb was priced at a staggering €26.95 :eek:

So I left, went to the motor factors across the road, and got the same bulb for €7.99 :)

Hence the aptly nicknamed "Halfrauds"

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

Fitzsimons Temple Bar Dublin: Pint of Miller: eur6.05...yikes.
    I'd also throw in a general comment regarding the price of a coffee in the city/airport etc..burns the pocket and lips at the same time!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Alicano wrote: »
    Fitzsimons Temple Bar Dublin: Pint of Miller: eur6.05...yikes.
    I'd also throw in a general comment regarding the price of a coffee in the city/airport etc..burns the pocket and lips at the same time!:)

Gotta disagree with the price of coffee i work up on baggot street and all im seeing in every coffee shop is €3.50 for any size coffee and a pastry/muffin...thats pretty good value..stop getting your coffee from starbucks buddy.

Who drinks miller on draught? you deserve to be ripped off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

You're doing very well to get a coffee and pastry for 3.50..And I'm referring to all the major coffee houses not just Starbucks who I agree have high prices. I drink 3in1 Nescafe sachets from Tesco.
    As for Miller, I thought it was Stella Artois that was reassuringly expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snugglebear

During the bad weather our boiler packed and we had to get someone out, we hadn't lived in the house that long or the area and most of my family were snowed in.
    Anyway guy comes out charges us €100 it works for about 5 hours and then packs up altogether the next time we try and use the heating, luckily my uncle was able to fit a new one for cost price once the snowed melted :cool:
    Also when for lunch in a dublin hotel last week, they were charging €8.50 for a soup and €3.50 for a tiny bottle of coke, crazy prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭kevin99

When was the last time the CAI launched a major nationwide publicity camaign encouraging people NOT to support Rip-off Ireland?
    Why hasn't RTE aired another series of Eddie Hobbs' huge successfull and highly popular programme of the same title?
    'Cos the various lobbyists, politicians were encouraged to appeal to the former Cowen governmment to cull the programme. RTE did was it was told to do.

I listen to Scott Williams' Q102 radio show at tea time and he carries an item with Dermot Jewell of the CAI. People phone in with complaints about items/products/ or services they paid for, but are unhappy with, and want advice on what to do.
    Dermot basically gives every caller the same advice ie write to the store manager, tell them xy and z. Bla bla bla.

I'd like to hear the outcome of some cases whether successful or otherwise.

It's a better consumer segment than the one on the Pat Kenny radio programme which this week focussed on ticket sales for the Olympic Games in London next year. Now with all due respect, I don't think that subject is uppermost in most Irish people's minds at the moment.
    He rarely features a strong consumer story. But then I suppose the consumer expert, Tina Leonard just tells the researchers what she will cover from week to week.

She and Dermot should be telling people every week what we should be paying for food, drinks, petrol, white goods, insurance products etc.

Eddie Hobbs is the best person to explain consumer rip offs in the financial services sector. Charlie Weston of the Indo is good too.

Conor Pope is excellent in the Irish Times.

But we need a sustained, concerted effort to keep rip off Ireland to the forefront of the public and media. Only that way will we see change.

Don't drink or eat in overpriced pubs and restaurants, don't pay in to a night club that increases its prices after 11am, find out te cheapest petrol station in your area, ditto menswear, womenswear, childrenswear.

Her's my tip from shopping for deodrant this week. Don't buy men's deodrant in Tesco because the same is cheaper in Boots, Jervis centre.

I bought a new keyboard and mouse for my PC for just €26 in Power City. I was in PC world, Jervis street shopping centre and the same product was on offer for just over €20.

CAI, Q102 and PK radio show should all support a nationwide online campaign to urge the new Goverment to reduce its take from a litre of petrol by 50c.
    We should all sign an online petition to that affect and present it to the relevant Minister at the end of the month.
    Road tax should also be reduced.

By the way, does anybody know how many successful court prosecutions there were in 2009 against individuals or organisations for over-charging customers?

But I really do believe we need a sustained online, print and broadcast media campaign against this rip off culture. Inflation is over 2% now so with the increase in oil it will increase again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

kevin99 wrote: »
    CAI, Q102 and PK radio show should all support a nationwide online campaign to urge the new Goverment to reduce its take from a litre of petrol by 50c.
    We should all sign an online petition to that affect and present it to the relevant Minister at the end of the month.

sorry to burst your bubble, but the country doesnt have the money to do that
    at a very conservative estimate (one million vehicles using 10 litres a week), that'd be a loss to governement of €250m, which would have to be found elsewhere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

Energy saving light bulbs, here 3E+, England 75p.
    As for prices. Go to Aldis,LIDL and buy on offer. Freeze or refrigerate and things will last a long time.
    Don't impulse buy and shop around. Go without if its a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I've seen energy saving bulbs in loads of places for €1.00

Buylo in Ashbourne, I think Woodies as well, a couple of local household stores as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Col200sx wrote: »
    Was after a replacement H2 60w headlight bulb for the wifes car, went to Halfords in Galway to get it.

A single bulb was priced at a staggering €26.95 :eek:

So I left, went to the motor factors across the road, and got the same bulb for €7.99 :)

Hence the aptly nicknamed "Halfrauds"

I didn't realise Halfords let independent motor factors sell their branded bulbs ? Or maybe you are not comparing like with like? And I am sure that there isn't a Halfords in the country which has a Motor Factors across the road ... Good chance your little story is embellished a bit to make it sound better .......:rolleyes:

Not like for like power wise.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

jett wrote: »
    Not like for like power wise.

There were some respectable wattage Phillips on sale in my local spar for €1 each. Genuine brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

jett wrote: »
    Energy saving light bulbs, here 3E+, England 75p.
    As for prices. Go to Aldis,LIDL and buy on offer. Freeze or refrigerate and things will last a long time.
    Don't impulse buy and shop around. Go without if its a rip off.
    England subsidise their bulbs. Try Homebase. I got mine there for around a euro last year. Philips brand.

• Advertisement

give them free to OAPs my parents have loads, pity ROI does not put its subsidy where its green ( partys) mouth was.

Advertisement