Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight back against rip-off

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Guitar Wizard

Hi there,

I recently got a crown fitted before Christmas as a result of excessive sensitivity for a number of years, and after several white fillings on the tooth. - The dentist advised getting a crown as she said it would "sort out all those problems once and for all". However, there was a delay with the time it took to get the real crown as it had to be sent back to get reshaped due to it fitting incorrectly. As a result, the dentist said that the temporary crown may have slightly altered how my gum sat against the new crown when I got it about 5 weeks later.

The main problem Im having is that there is still an immense amount of pain any time something cold hits the tooth or when I bit on it still, and the dentist told me I may have to get root canal done on it. I paid 750 for my crown under the belief it would work as she said it would, and never told me of the risk attached, i.e. not working.

If I need root canal, does anyone know if its fair to have to pay extra for this dentist to do it? Is there relevant legislation I can argue if they demand me to pay for a root canal as the crown is effectively useless...

Thanks in advance for your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Hi Guitar Wizard,

Boards has a Dental Issues Forum, if you start a new thread there and copy and paste your above post you'll get better answers over there.

Pressing Control + F on your keyboard and using the little search box, is handy for searching through the list of Forums untill you get use to the layout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

jett wrote: »
    give them free to OAPs my parents have loads, pity ROI does not put its subsidy where its green ( partys) mouth was.

And the UK OAP pension is how much compared to Irelands??

swings and roundabouts really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

Whats that got to do with it?
    Simply pointing out a fact.

Whats that got to do with it?
    Simply pointing out a fact.

It's got a lot to do with it.
    Ireland system of taxation, coupled with a lack of service rates and public amenities is vastly different to the UK and plenty of other countries.

The higher social welfare and pensions that Irish residents enjoy is far higher than elsewhere and as such they are expected to pay for their own lightbulbs.

It's all well and good government bashing but it's not all black and white.
    We're all giving out about the amount of taxpayers money being pumped into the banks - there's probably a similar forum in the UK giving out about the education cuts and the amount of money spent on sending troops to Afghanistan and maybe OAPs are saying wouldn't it be great to live in Ireland and get the higher pension...:D

The grass is always greener etc...

• Advertisement

Not wishing to be classed as a troll and hesitating to appear confrontational. ( in other words having a go)
    When push comes to shove the actual income when its all taken into account for the average senior citizen is about the same.
    Note some OAPs in Blighty are very well off and as well as various add ons to the basic state pension may have private or civil service pensions added far in excess of the apparant high Irish basic pension.
    My point was that the UK government in an attempt to make things easier for senior citizens makes energy saving light bulbs available, wether they want them or not.
    The Irish government whilst attempting to be politically correct by championing green taxes does not make energy saving devises attractive by supplying them at an inflated cost.
    Therefore expounding the whole thing and extrapolating thus, its all the same but one is transparent the other is at best obscured.
    Its like the nonsence insulation grants. its cheaper to do it yourself than make use of the grants because you have to use an approved contractor that charges the earth for labour weras do it yourself and its cost effective.
    As a guide loft insulation at Woodies 27-30 E, same product B&Q Blighty £3. This is a commercial product and not subsidised.
    So we have (had) a government championing insulation grants etc yet Irish insulation manufacturing company Moy Goes down the pan because it cannot compete.
    Its whats called a rip off and unless people are aware of what our best client and nearest neighbour does it will carry on.
    People are not flocking North to occupied territory because they want to burn fuel its because they want to stay ahead of the game.
    Minor rant over

Not wishing to be classed as a troll and hesitating to appear confrontational. ( in other words having a go)
    When push comes to shove the actual income when its all taken into account for the average senior citizen is about the same.
    Note some OAPs in Blighty are very well off and as well as various add ons to the basic state pension may have private or civil service pensions added far in excess of the apparant high Irish basic pension.
    My point was that the UK government in an attempt to make things easier for senior citizens makes energy saving light bulbs available, wether they want them or not.
    The Irish government whilst attempting to be politically correct by championing green taxes does not make energy saving devises attractive by supplying them at an inflated cost.
    Therefore expounding the whole thing and extrapolating thus, its all the same but one is transparent the other is at best obscured.
    Its like the nonsence insulation grants. its cheaper to do it yourself than make use of the grants because you have to use an approved contractor that charges the earth for labour weras do it yourself and its cost effective.
    As a guide loft insulation at Woodies 27-30 E, same product B&Q Blighty £3. This is a commercial product and not subsidised.
    So we have (had) a government championing insulation grants etc yet Irish insulation manufacturing company Moy Goes down the pan because it cannot compete.
    Its whats called a rip off and unless people are aware of what our best client and nearest neighbour does it will carry on.
    People are not flocking North to occupied territory because they want to burn fuel its because they want to stay ahead of the game.
    Minor rant over

Not appearing as a troll at all, debate is a two way game!

Irish pensioners can also be either wealthy with their own pension pot or on the breadline with the state pension alone and thus both eligible for their bus pass and every other perk of old age.

I don't agree with you're sentiment that it is a rip off. You cannot justify cross border shopping by stating that the the entire country is engaged in a rip off. Different countries, different wages, rates, taxation etc.

I have worked in retail for years and have worked for both UK and Irish companies and the cost base for both is vastly different and goods must be priced accordingly to this. I can understand the frustration of Irish consumers, after all I am one myself, but anybody that doesn't have experience of managing or running a business in this country has a very blinkered view of why the cost of goods and services are higher than the UK or mainland Europe. (and it's not just wages although that is a factor)

As stated previously, I bought Philips energy saver bulbs for €1, 60watt and 75watt bulb, they state on the packet that they are energy A rated and will last up to 10years.

No one expected Spanish Inquisition ( Monty Python Joke)
    The threads about rip off prices, I think the bulbs are a rip off, people i know think they are a rip off, no one I know says they are not. Of course we may all be uninformed and incorrect.
    I saw the average hourly rate item on the news yesterday. Average hourly wage is slightly below 22E per hour.
    Well with all the minimum wage jobs plus retail, construction and in general private company rates at half that then lots ( by average) must be still coining it.
    When I go into places like Woodies there are lots of staff standing around like zombies, things are lying about and many items are not even priced. No wonder they are not selling much. Its just plain poor.
    Thats why people go up North, for service and a greater choice at a more reasonable cost.
    I am not saying its right to shop up there. Its something that needs correcting by competitiveness and the government needs to address this.
    Cowan went on about cheaper VAT and Euro increasing against the pound which would solve it. Well VAT is now the same and the currency has gone the other way and its still better up there.
    I needed some parts for a broken item the other day. Emailed all the ROI agents for the products and got not one reply. I got emails by return from Brit companies, even if they could not help they passed me on to others who could.
    Trying my best but there is a limit to putting up with could not care less attitudes.
    See Currys and PC world thread for tales of woe from myself and other ( Its not just ROI companies its endemic to certain types of organistion.

No one expected Spanish Inquisition ( Monty Python Joke)
    The threads about rip off prices, I think the bulbs are a rip off, people i know think they are a rip off, no one I know says they are not. Of course we may all be uninformed and incorrect.
    I saw the average hourly rate item on the news yesterday. Average hourly wage is slightly below 22E per hour.
    Well with all the minimum wage jobs plus retail, construction and in general private company rates at half that then lots ( by average) must be still coining it.
    When I go into places like Woodies there are lots of staff standing around like zombies, things are lying about and many items are not even priced. No wonder they are not selling much. Its just plain poor.
    Thats why people go up North, for service and a greater choice at a more reasonable cost.
    I am not saying its right to shop up there. Its something that needs correcting by competitiveness and the government needs to address this.
    Cowan went on about cheaper VAT and Euro increasing against the pound which would solve it. Well VAT is now the same and the currency has gone the other way and its still better up there.
    I needed some parts for a broken item the other day. Emailed all the ROI agents for the products and got not one reply. I got emails by return from Brit companies, even if they could not help they passed me on to others who could.
    Trying my best but there is a limit to putting up with could not care less attitudes.
    See Currys and PC world thread for tales of woe from myself and other ( Its not just ROI companies its endemic to certain types of organistion.

Nobody is "coining it" in retail. Except for maybe pawnbrokers.

If that was the case, why are there so many empty retail units across the country, on every main street and shopping centre?
    As I stated in my previous post - it's not all down to the wages, although that is a factor.

There are leases. Some retailers are still tied into upward only rent reviews. The average Irish lease is for 25-30 years with reviews at least every 5 years.

Commercial Rates. Each individual county council sets rates based usually on the value/size of the property. Note - it is their departments that value the property,not independent valuations. If you wish to have your premises rerated you can do so for a fee, but the chances are just as likely that the council may increase the rates as opposed to lowering them!

Utilities/Bills. Commercial utilities are far higher than private households.
    Even with shopping around with airtricity/bord gais etc, the prices for a fairly small unit trading 6/7 days a week can exceed €100 a week for electricity alone. Think of all lights needed for windows, lighting shop floors, running air conditioning, tills etc.
    Phone bills/credit card terminals. Each terminal is rented from the bank so there is a charge. Each transaction there is a charge. That is why most newsagents, small stores have a minimum spend on their terminals.

IMRO rates. If play a CD or a radio in your premises you have to pay IMRO for the privilege. Or you sign up to the likes of "mood media" who provide music from unsigned artists. It's basically supermarket music and again you pay for the privilege. Either way it costs you.

Insurance. Much higher on commercial units naturally as there is usually a lot of stock to insure as well as a small amount of cash holdings.

Transport and Warehousing. Depending on your suppliers and your premises, you may have to pay for transport of goods and perhaps for storage of same.
    Most companies have a dedicated shipper that charges them a rate for both.

Accountancy fees - the old death and taxes chestnut!
    Security fees - to protect the stock and your staff.
    Cleaners - most companies use contract staff, on top of their hourly rate, a premium to the company and also supplies.
    Refuse charges. Huge amounts for retailers as the amount of waste generated even though mostly recyclable is still high.

Wages and taxation.
    Not only does an employer have to pay the staff, but also employers PRSI contributions for each staff member.
    VAT returns on goods sold at the selling price.

There's also lots of other charges, if for example you sell food and beverages or perishable goods then you have to factor in wastage.

Now, once you have paid all of the above, then you are ready to open the door and start trading! So the item that you might have paid €10 for in the wholesalers might be selling for €20 on the shelf but all the bills have to be paid before you see maybe €1 or less profit!! :eek:

So please don't be fooled into thinking that it's a bed of roses and everyone is making huge profits. If that was the case, everybody would be a retailer and nobody would be going out of business.

I totally agree with all the facts you have stated and the wages in retail are poor compared to the task.
    Its all the charges that you mention that need to be reduced and until the country gets real and realises that costs rewards have to go down in bad times then it will carry on spairaling downwards.
    I could not believe the level of wages when I first moved over nor could I believe the low taxation compared to England.
    My observations were that people got beyond themselves and thought that borrowing money and throwing it at things was reasonable.
    I imagine that for people who lived here all their lives the myth of the Celtic Tiger was something that crept up on them and became the norm.
    Personally I find living here very competitive compared to England,then again I don't use pubs or restaurants and perhaps cut my cloth to suit my income.
    Plus it is a damn sight more pleasant here with a national identity that has not been damaged too much.
    I hate seeing such an idylic place going down the pan due to greed and complacency.
    Market forces will always win in the market place but in the sacred halls of the Government services with protected salaries and incredible pensions, that will not apply.
    Some people are having the life of Riley while others are in despair. I don,t think those who formed the Republic would have imagined such differentials.

• Advertisement

I totally agree with all the facts you have stated and the wages in retail are poor compared to the task.
    Its all the charges that you mention that need to be reduced and until the country gets real and realises that costs rewards have to go down in bad times then it will carry on spairaling downwards.
    I could not believe the level of wages when I first moved over nor could I believe the low taxation compared to England.
    My observations were that people got beyond themselves and thought that borrowing money and throwing it at things was reasonable.
    I imagine that for people who lived here all their lives the myth of the Celtic Tiger was something that crept up on them and became the norm.
    Personally I find living here very competitive compared to England,then again I don't use pubs or restaurants and perhaps cut my cloth to suit my income.
    Plus it is a damn sight more pleasant here with a national identity that has not been damaged too much.
    I hate seeing such an idylic place going down the pan due to greed and complacency.
    Market forces will always win in the market place but in the sacred halls of the Government services with protected salaries and incredible pensions, that will not apply.
    Some people are having the life of Riley while others are in despair. I don,t think those who formed the Republic would have imagined such differentials.

You mention the low taxation - while there is are low enough levels of income tax, the taxation on food is mainly 21%, only the basic staples are 13.5%.
    In the UK the tax rate on a lot of groceries is 0% with only true luxury items having 20% applied. This has a huge difference on an average grocery bill for a family trying to live on a budget.

There are plenty of stealth taxes in Ireland, take VRT for example, a tax on a tax. Say for example you brought your car from the UK, where you had purchased it and paid the tax, then on moving to Ireland had to import the car and pay Vehicle Registration Tax on top of the tax you already paid. :eek:
    Ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You mention the low taxation - while there is are low enough levels of income tax, the taxation on food is mainly 21%, only the basic staples are 13.5%.
    In the UK the tax rate on a lot of groceries is 0% with only true luxury items having 20% applied. This has a huge difference on an average grocery bill for a family trying to live on a budget.

There are plenty of stealth taxes in Ireland, take VRT for example, a tax on a tax. Say for example you brought your car from the UK, where you had purchased it and paid the tax, then on moving to Ireland had to import the car and pay Vehicle Registration Tax on top of the tax you already paid. :eek:
    Ridiculous!

That's a particularly sneaky rip-off by the State, after they were told that there could be no duty on intra-EU transactions. Instead of scrapping it, the crafty feckers changed the name, so that it was no longer import-duty, but still had the same people enforcing it.:mad:

Had they scrapped it however, they would only have recouped it from somewhere else, so it was a lose lose situation either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cjgib

I agree wholeheartedly with Kevin99.
    We need to become more militant and organised as consumers.
    I dont buy the argument that the cost base in retailing here is so different than that of the UK.
    We need to apply political pressure to change the law on filing corporate accounts.
    If the retail chains were obliged to file accounts same as public companies it would be a start.
    There is also the difference in tax rates applied to these chains,it's much lowere here but we dont see that in the prices.
    Net margins for Tesco in Ireland are believed to be around 9% whereas in the UK the figure fluctuates from 3 to 6%.Tesco UK managers privately refer to Tesco here as treasure Ireland(I have that on good authority).
    The penny has'nt dropped with our politicians that the corporate tax rate for Retail chains could be increased to the same level as the UK and they would not be able to argue for price increases as they are presently pocketing the difference.
    The penny has'nt dropped with them either that downward pressure on prices helps them in negotiating wage rates

cjgib wrote: »
    I agree wholeheartedly with Kevin99.
    We need to become more militant and organised as consumers.
    I dont buy the argument that the cost base in retailing here is so different than that of the UK.
    We need to apply political pressure to change the law on filing corporate accounts.
    If the retail chains were obliged to file accounts same as public companies it would be a start.
    There is also the difference in tax rates applied to these chains,it's much lowere here but we dont see that in the prices.
    Net margins for Tesco in Ireland are believed to be around 9% whereas in the UK the figure fluctuates from 3 to 6%.Tesco UK managers privately refer to Tesco here as treasure Ireland(I have that on good authority).
    The penny has'nt dropped with our politicians that the corporate tax rate for Retail chains could be increased to the same level as the UK and they would not be able to argue for price increases as they are presently pocketing the difference.
    The penny has'nt dropped with them either that downward pressure on prices helps them in negotiating wage rates

A lot of retailers are ltd companies :D

I've outlined the costs in a retail business above. The bigger the premises, the higher the rates, rents and payroll. And like I said - pay them all - then open the door and try and recoup those costs before you make a penny.
    It's far from the cash cow that you seem to imagine it is.:eek:

There has never been any back up to the argument that Tesco makes a higher profit margin here than in the UK, plenty of rumour and innuendo as they are a large british company in the Irish market and an easy target.
    It doesn't matter to me where I buy my groceries, I'll shop around for the cheapest rather than hold a grudge based on hearsay.

You can import one car without paying VRT.
    I notice that car prices seem to be getting lower due to market forces.
    Road tax is diabolical compared to Britain.
    The one thing that Britain has got is a good NHS but it isn,t free as National insurance is very high compared to the ROI equivelent.
    Of course things are different in different countries and Ireland is certainly not a bit of the UK stuck off the coast of wales.
    I personally believe in different cultures/ customs etc. The common market was assumed to be a great equaliser. Wrong! in my opinion it has damaged the individuality of every nation that joined it. Bribes and threats are the only reason voted for the incomplete Lisbon Treaty
    Lets not forget VAT was a condition of being in it.
    Now they are trying to alter our soverign corporation tax rate. Of course they are calling it a different thing at the moment but the two main bullys in Europe have their eye on our business.
    They have already harmed, farming,fishing,tourism etc and overheated the place with virtually forced short term ecconomic immigration and control of interest rates.
    The result of a few EU grants to develop Ireland( curtesy of Britains input ) has resulted in a massive debt caused by Globalisation that the EU did nothing to protect us from.
    Lets hope Enda tells em to stick their currency, loan etc and stop the errosion of the Irish way of life.
    Happy St Pats tommorrow and "Up The Republic" because its very precious, hard won and easilly lost.

You can import one car without paying VRT.
    I notice that car prices seem to be getting lower due to market forces.
    Road tax is diabolical compared to Britain.
    The one thing that Britain has got is a good NHS but it isn,t free as National insurance is very high compared to the ROI equivelent.
    Of course things are different in different countries and Ireland is certainly not a bit of the UK stuck off the coast of wales.
    I personally believe in different cultures/ customs etc. The common market was assumed to be a great equaliser. Wrong! in my opinion it has damaged the individuality of every nation that joined it. Bribes and threats are the only reason voted for the incomplete Lisbon Treaty
    Lets not forget VAT was a condition of being in it.
    Now they are trying to alter our soverign corporation tax rate. Of course they are calling it a different thing at the moment but the two main bullys in Europe have their eye on our business.
    They have already harmed, farming,fishing,tourism etc and overheated the place with virtually forced short term ecconomic immigration and control of interest rates.
    The result of a few EU grants to develop Ireland( curtesy of Britains input ) has resulted in a massive debt caused by Globalisation that the EU did nothing to protect us from.
    Lets hope Enda tells em to stick their currency, loan etc and stop the errosion of the Irish way of life.
    Happy St Pats tommorrow and "Up The Republic" because its very precious, hard won and easilly lost.

You can import one car without paying VRT if you've owned it for at least 6 months in the UK, and providing that you don't sell it here within 12 months of arriving.

Before VAT was introduced, both the UK and Ireland had purchase tax, which in some cases, e.g. luxury items, was as much as 33.33%.

I wouldn't say that the difference between UK NIC and Irish PRSI is that astronomical, in deciding whether the NHS was free or not.

Blaming EU grants on the current state of Ireland is ridiculous, and reverting to the Punt and telling the EU to feck off is complete economic suicide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

91011 wrote: »
    Because wages still cost the same, heating bills have gone up, rent is still the same, rates are the same or have gone up. They'll pour the drink for you, you'll sit on their furniture, you'll watch their TV or listen to the live music, you'll enjoy the heat they provide and they'll pick up your glass when your finished and wash it.

Go to any place in the UK, a pint of decent beer is at least £3.50, (£3.90 in Birmingham a couple of week ago) on the continent, expect to pay up to €8 in some pubs, especially in Paris. €5 is cheap there!

Yes - the high cost of minerals - or more the fact that you can only buy them in 220ml sizes, is a bugbear. Bring in a 330ml size for the same price and that negativity may go away. (330ml glass bottle is standard mineral serving size in UK)

Thats not true. I think you may have got seriously ripped off in some so called up market establishment. I spend a lot of time in the UK and the only time I have payed 3.50 was in a posh ass nightclub at 4 in the morning. Most pubs vary average price I would say is 2.60. Depending on the pub/time/day of the week the price can vary from 1.70 to 3.00. Central London being an exception. Lots of bars charge anything from £1 to £2.50 at most for shooters compared to €5 for a shot in Ireland.

What really annoys me in Irish pubs is the fact that most bars charge the same price for all pints of say lager. In the UK you will find most drinks will be priced slightly differently depending on quality, lager,cider,ale, how strong it is,imported,local etc...

Also this crack of paying €2.50 to €3.00 for a bottle of coke is a joke when all you want is a dash. Compare to the UK when dashs of coke are often free or for a nominal fee.

I think pubs are the worst rip offs in Ireland and quite frankly charge extortionate prices. If they stopped to think for a minute and dropped there prices just by a little bit to make it affordable people may consider going for a pint more often. Before its said I know the costs involved so I am not suggesting dropping to UK prices but a reasonable reduction.

Guiness at £2 a pint, Bitter £1.70 in most areas of Greater London. Even Stella fully loaded at about £2.40.
    Heres another rip off, Tesco London Pride 500ML bottle E1.99 Xmas, E2.60 January.
    If its piled high and flogged cheap it will fly of the shelf. It worked for M & S. ( or was it Woolworth )

I am well aware of the rules on imported cars, I did it myself and it was easy.
    Purchase tax at least went to the countries coffers and not to the EU to distribute and embezzle. Or have you forgotten the scandal which has been swept under the carpet.
    The difference between PRSI and NI is astronomical look it up. As a basic rate taxpayer in the UK half my earnings went in Employers NI, Employees NI and tax. Plus all my so called benifits, ie business car, phone, fuel etc were taxed as a perk. Some bloody perk paying to sit in the M25 carpark.
    I did not come over here to be worse off.
    Ireland has sucked up to the EU and is now paying the price. It has alienated itself from Britain ( where there are more Irish than Ireland) and is dictated to by people who have no respect or even knowledge of the country that is Eire.
    The health situation here is third world if you are rich you are okay, destitute you are okay but middle of the road and you can rot.
    Like many Anglo Irish I moved here because its a damn nice place with nice people and oppertunities.
    My reward like a (100,000 others) for sticking half a million into the place is to be ripped off while the Government sucks up to foreigners who wish to steal our wealth, foreign investment, goodwill and our nationality.
    Rant over because you cannot see it.

I am well aware of the rules on imported cars, I did it myself and it was easy.
    Purchase tax at least went to the countries coffers and not to the EU to distribute and embezzle. Or have you forgotten the scandal which has been swept under the carpet.
    The difference between PRSI and NI is astronomical look it up. As a basic rate taxpayer in the UK half my earnings went in Employers NI, Employees NI and tax. Plus all my so called benifits, ie business car, phone, fuel etc were taxed as a perk. Some bloody perk paying to sit in the M25 carpark.
    I did not come over here to be worse off.
    Ireland has sucked up to the EU and is now paying the price. It has alienated itself from Britain ( where there are more Irish than Ireland) and is dictated to by people who have no respect or even knowledge of the country that is Eire.
    The health situation here is third world if you are rich you are okay, destitute you are okay but middle of the road and you can rot.
    Like many Anglo Irish I moved here because its a damn nice place with nice people and oppertunities.
    My reward like a (100,000 others) for sticking half a million into the place is to be ripped off while the Government sucks up to foreigners who wish to steal our wealth, foreign investment, goodwill and our nationality.
    Rant over because you cannot see it.

Sorry, but the "facts" in your post are completely inaccurate. VAT, like the old Purchase Tax goes straight into the country's coffers, and not the EU's. If anything, monies from the EU coffers came here to be blown away on a multitude of different projects.

You wouldn't have paid employers' NIC in the UK, only the employer pays that, in the same way that employers' PRSI is paid by the employer here. It isn't part of your gross income. The only NIC/PRSI deducted from your pay is the employee contribution.

You get stung for tax on benefits-in-kind in Ireland as well as in the UK.

• Advertisement

are you critisising my post?
    I ran a Ltd company for 30 years in Blighty and I assure you I know the tax system there inside out.
    There is income tax, employees NI and employees NI, no matter which way you look at it it all comes from gross earnings or profit.
    There are more tax free "benifits" here than in the UK.
    Dare I mention the ROI low Corporation tax that the two main bullies are trying to"adjust" so they can steal our investors.
    VAT was a requirement of being in the EU.
    At no time did I say all the VAT goes into the EU. What you will find is that as a so called richer country Britain pays money into the EU. As a so called poorer country ROI gets money from the EU.
    While all this happens "running costs" are taken by the Almighty EU. incuring inefficiency and fiddles. These are constantly being found and then covered up.
    Be aware that changes next year and bankrupt Ireland then contributes to the other dead losses.
    It the typical socialist distribution of wealth ethic that stiffles self reliance.
    I am not telling anyone to agree with me, what I would suggest is that people look more to protecting their own national interests rather than those of others.
    The EU was not formed to do us any favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I lived in the UK for 30 years, Ireland for 8, am still working for the same company in the UK, but from home in Ireland.
    I'm about 16% better off here than in the UK taking pretty much everything into account. This fluctuates of course but it is something I keep a close eye on.
    Even though I have to pay for healthcare, there are many things which give me a better handling of income.
    One thing overlooked is food quality, being an ex-chef I am very picky about the quality of my produce, good produce here is much cheaper than good produce in the UK, probably in the region of 40% cheaper for meat, 20% for most other things (excluding spirits).
    Emotionally I wouldn't go back to the UK, not a nice place. Financially I wouldn't either.
    Last night on TV dispatches showed the cost of travel for instance, a return from London to Manchester was £278. Parking the car at reading station (I had to for work) is £13 per day. Council Tax £2000 per year. Just for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

flan59 wrote: »
    Next time ur in a smallish shop have a look at the water/minerals which are sold individually but clearly state on the bottles "Not to be sold Seperately". its a rip off by the shop owner

You think that's bad?

I was in a shop the other day and I saw the shop keeper selling a Yorkie bar to a girl!! :eek:

I mean it it clearly stated on the wrapper that it is "Not for Girls"!!!!
    No questions asked.....Broad daylight.....Bold as brass.

It's just unbelieveable what they are getting away with these days.

You couldn't make it up.

Advertisement