Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too early for Clear Blue?

Options
  • 25-02-2011 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

So.. I spent the last week convinced that I may be pregnant. Last period was the 2nd of Feb. I've had cramping, headaches, nausea and had a few days where I just felt shattered.

My next period is due next Wednesday but I didn't want to wait that long to find out so first thing this morning took a test using Clear Blue only for it to come up negative..... Has anyone had any experience with Clear Blue throwing out a negative just because it may have been too early to test?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yes, depending on when ovulation and conception actually occurred, it can throw up a negative and then become positive.

First response are supposed to be the most sensitive test for before the period is due, up to 6 days early you can test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I was hoping to get a First Response test but they only had clear blue in the chemist and I'm a terribly impatient person :rolleyes:
    Do you reckon it might be worth retesting in a day or two using First Response? Clear Blue wasn't even showing a faint line...

It could be worth it, if your period doesn't arrive in the mean time.

Make sure to test with the first urine of the day as if there is HCG hormone it will be more concentrated then and more likely to show a positive or negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 magalot

Home pregnancy tests are not very reliable when used before a period is missed because they are not sensitive enough to measure the low levels of HCG in very early pregnancy. The longer you wait to test the closer you get to '99% accurate' claim on the box (really need to wait until period is a few days late to get this accuracy) Clear Blue info gives accuracy of only 53% when used 4 days before period is due.
    Here's a bit more info on their accuracy: http://contraception.about.com/od/contraceptionfailure/a/pregnancytests.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

omg you're as bad as me :D. If the Clear Blue one is negative, you might have a look at getting a first response one if you can. You can take them any time of the day (doesn't have to be your first pee) and although trying to make sense of seeing which line means what is a bit of a conundrum they're the only ones (Ithink) that you can use before your period is due.

If you can, get the one with two tests in the box, just in case you don't do the first one right.

I used a First Response one the other day (2 days before my period was due) and it was positive :eek::D

• Advertisement

I've just done a First Response test today (buy one get one free in boots!!)
    It's come back as negative as well :( I had a little bit of spotting today which is a bit early for my period.. I don't normally get it earlier than 28 days! I was really hoping the Clear Blue test was wrong but it's not looking like it :(

If you're last period was on the 2nd of Feb it's very possible what you're experiencing now is an implantation bleed. Especially if it's only spotting.

If your period doesn't come, test again when late.

I've just done a First Response test today (buy one get one free in boots!!)
    It's come back as negative as well :( I had a little bit of spotting today which is a bit early for my period.. I don't normally get it earlier than 28 days! I was really hoping the Clear Blue test was wrong but it's not looking like it :(

Ah no *hugs* You never know though, it might just be too early to pick up the hormones, and spotting could be an inplantation bleed. It's such a pain having to wait, but there's still hope. Fingers crossed for you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I did a first response 3 days before my period was due and it was a clear negative.. Did one the day my period was due and got a positive :) no harm doing an early test, everyone is different but you're probably better off to hang on til you're late.. Best of luck with it :)

well the spotting that was there earlier today is gone again :confused:
    I;m a very impatient person... I really don't like having to wait!
    Thank god for the buy one get one free in boots though, means I have another test for next week! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

The old waiting game, it's a pain :o just try to relax as much as you can.. what will be, will be :)

my impatience is slowly but surely killing me.

I'm still having a small bit of spotting - maybe one spot once a day since Saturday... I'm due tomorrow and really want to take the test asap but I'm afraid that it'll come up negative again :( ARGH!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

MunsterGal,
    Snap! I'm due either today or through to thursday, and got the First Response tests, tested negative about an hour ago. :( So gonna use one tomorrow morning again.

Babydust at ya! ;)

It's awful! I just want to know for sure either ways :(
    Hope you get the result you want xx

After 4 days of spotting tormenting me... it looks like I'm not pregnant. Period is due today and the spotting is heavier :(
    I guess there's always next month :D

After 4 days of spotting tormenting me... it looks like I'm not pregnant. Period is due today and the spotting is heavier :(

Ah no, so sorry Munster Gal.

Do you know you can get an ovulation app for your phone? They are BRILLIANT and are free. If you don't have a new fandangled phone that caters for apps, there are a few websites you can go to...babycentre.co.uk is one that I found pretty reliable in the past.

Ah no, so sorry Munster Gal.

Do you know you can get an ovulation app for your phone? They are BRILLIANT and are free. If you don't have a new fandangled phone that caters for apps, there are a few websites you can go to...babycentre.co.uk is one that I found pretty reliable in the past.

I have one on my Galaxy S. They're very handy, but I guess I was just unlucky this month!

I have one on my Galaxy S. They're very handy, but I guess I was just unlucky this month!

At least now you have your exact dates to work on going forward. Best of luck:D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

yep, on the subs bench too this month. :( Got mine today as well. But like you say, next month...;)

Neyite wrote: »
    yep, on the subs bench too this month. :( Got mine today as well. But like you say, next month...;)

Fingers crossed for ya x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

try first response. Also make sure You test with first morning urine. There is such thing as a false negative result but not false positive so test again in a day or 2. Good luck :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

sorry just read your last post about the spotting. I just want to tell you that doesnt always mean your not pregnant. I only found out 3weeks ago i'm pregnant. I'm 6 months now. My last period was 4th sept, i dont remember if it was normal or spotting as it was so long ago but whilst discussing my dates with the midwife he said my period in sept could have actually been something called an implantation bleed. This is when the embryo implants into the uterus. It causes a bleed not unlike a period. I'm not saying this is whats happening in your case but you never know. Also whilst at the doctors the other day i got talking to the receptionist who told me her sister didnt know she was pregnant untill she went into labour as she was overweight but not actually showing an was still getting a period every month. I know this is just hear say but it does happen that women get a period when they are pregnant. If your still not sure why not give it a few days then see your gp for a blood test. Best of luck and i'm sorry if i am speakin out of line or giving you false hope.

qwertytlk wrote: »
    sorry just read your last post about the spotting. I just want to tell you that doesnt always mean your not pregnant. I only found out 3weeks ago i'm pregnant. I'm 6 months now. My last period was 4th sept, i dont remember if it was normal or spotting as it was so long ago but whilst discussing my dates with the midwife he said my period in sept could have actually been something called an implantation bleed. This is when the embryo implants into the uterus. It causes a bleed not unlike a period. I'm not saying this is whats happening in your case but you never know. Also whilst at the doctors the other day i got talking to the receptionist who told me her sister didnt know she was pregnant untill she went into labour as she was overweight but not actually showing an was still getting a period every month. I know this is just hear say but it does happen that women get a period when they are pregnant. If your still not sure why not give it a few days then see your gp for a blood test. Best of luck and i'm sorry if i am speakin out of line or giving you false hope.

Thanks qwertytlk
    Had a pretty heavy bleed for the last 3 days so i'd be pretty sure it was a period. Im just a little disappointed as I was full sure I was pregnant. I'm not too concerned. When it's ready to happen it'll happen :)
    Congrats on your pregnancy :) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Manda21

hey ladies! i have an unusual situation i hope some of you can help me figure out, over the last week i have done 4 clearblue digital pregnancy test and all 4 have showed up "Pregnant 1-2 weeks" the last one i took was yesterday morning with my first urine of the morning, to my absolute shock 3 hours later i went to my doctor for his urine test to show up NEGATIVE!! i could not believe it so i went 2 my nurse today an her's also showed up negative... waiting on blood test results on friday which is 2 days away seems so long!!! i am late my period 12 days and have sore breasts and nipples and constatntly tired, peeing alot more to.. i just dont understand how 4 home test are telling me i am pregnant and doc's urine test shows negative, could blood test come back as positive..??? any advice or this happen to anyone else??? are clearblue digital tests as accurate as they say they are? x

Advertisement