Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet keeps on losing connection

• 25-02-2011 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi all

If anyone can help me. I am with Vodafone on the Vodafone at home package (8MB). Ever since I have been with vodafone (first time broadband in the house), the internet has been cutting out 5/6 times a day. I work from home and it is becoming a nightmare. I have upgraded the firmware, had an electrician check the sockets (following on from advice from vodafone), Eircom came to check everything and all is good their side. I am losing the plot about this as my job involves alot of meetings online and videoconferencing and I cannot trust whether my internet will crash.

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Blonde27 wrote: »
    Hi all

If anyone can help me. I am with Vodafone on the Vodafone at home package (8MB). Ever since I have been with vodafone (first time broadband in the house), the internet has been cutting out 5/6 times a day. I work from home and it is becoming a nightmare. I have upgraded the firmware, had an electrician check the sockets (following on from advice from vodafone), Eircom came to check everything and all is good their side. I am losing the plot about this as my job involves alot of meetings online and videoconferencing and I cannot trust whether my internet will crash.

Line stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blonde27

Hi Dubs45.

Sorry for being non techie, but how do I get line stats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

get them to reduce bandwitdh to 4 mb and see it it still bounces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What makes you think the "broadband" is dropping?

Are you connected to the broadband device via a wired or wireless connection?

The issue could be with your wireless connection if you are connecting via a wireless card.
    Another device could be interfering with the connection and a channel change could be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭cyberhog

Hi all

I think you should try a different router. I was having the same problem until I got rid of the vodafone huawei hg556a gateway. I went back to using my eircom netopia router with my vodafone settings and I haven't lost the connection since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭kippy

cyberhog wrote: »
    I think you should try a different router. I was having the same problem until I got rid of the vodafone huawei hg556a gateway. I went back to using my eircom netopia router with my vodafone settings and I haven't lost the connection since.
    In fairness that may have nothing to do with the router physicilly.
    Would be handy if the OP answered the questions.
    I suspect a channel issue as opposed to anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Al Katraz

My Vodafone (formerly BT, with an Eircom line) broadband had been cutting in and out for two weeks, with landline phone not working at all.

After much head scratching, checking of cabling etc it turned out one of the little brass splines in the socket where you plug the phone into the wall was broken off - hence no phone and only intermittent broadband.

I could have bought a new one of these boxes cheap somewhere probably, but the front of this one screwed off and itself plugged into the same kind of socket internally. So I discarded the front bit and plugged the line directly into he internal socket. And now it works.

If you've already had an electrician look, then this probably isn't your problem, I'm just posting this here in case someone else has a similar problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Hi all

I phoned Vodafone today with exactly the same problem. 5/6 times every day broadband goes down for anything from 5 to 15 minutes. Seems to have coincided with upgrade to 8MB. It's a new house in a new development with new lines. I think UPC are on the way so...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blonde27

I phoned Vodafone today with exactly the same problem. 5/6 times every day broadband goes down for anything from 5 to 15 minutes. Seems to have coincided with upgrade to 8MB. It's a new house in a new development with new lines. I think UPC are on the way so...:D

Hi Ironingbored, the problem seems to have solved. I have asked Vodafone to reduce the speed, first to 7MB (same probs) and now to 6MB. This seems to be helping and the internet is working perfectly for two weeks now :)!!!

Advertisement