Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC Milan at Home - Match Thread

Options
  • 25-02-2011 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

For anyone going...

The crucial second leg of our Champions League, Round of 16 clash with AC Milan is coming up on Wednesday March 9 – and we want to make it a Lilywhite night at the Lane.

Our famous all-Lilywhite strip has been synonymous with the Club’s greatest European nights, and we hope this will be no different.

Wear your white shirts and turn the Lane white to inspire the lads to victory.

If you were at the Lane for our first ever Champions League home fixture against Young Boys back in August and still have your flag from that night, bring it along again too.

The fantastic atmosphere you always create at the Lane has spurred on many a win and we look forward to seeing you there on the night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Hatch99 wrote: »
    For anyone going...

The crucial second leg of our Champions League, Round of 16 clash with AC Milan is coming up on Wednesday March 9 – and we want to make it a Lilywhite night at the Lane.

Our famous all-Lilywhite strip has been synonymous with the Club’s greatest European nights, and we hope this will be no different.

Wear your white shirts and turn the Lane white to inspire the lads to victory.

If you were at the Lane for our first ever Champions League home fixture against Young Boys back in August and still have your flag from that night, bring it along again too.

The fantastic atmosphere you always create at the Lane has spurred on many a win and we look forward to seeing you there on the night.
    Not going but can't wait to see what it looks like on the tellybox. Unfortunately I'll be in the middle of exams but I wouldn't miss this for the world! Hopefully we'll match the intensity levels of the Inter match, although I fear we make take this game for granted. It's still wide open IMO and we should tear into them from the start. It'd be shame to go out at this stage of the competition considering our performances up until now. I'll probably be a bag of nerves all night!

COYS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭salthillman

THFC wrote: »
    Not going but can't wait to see what it looks like on the tellybox. Unfortunately I'll be in the middle of exams but I wouldn't miss this for the world! Hopefully we'll match the intensity levels of the Inter match, although I fear we make take this game for granted. It's still wide open IMO and we should tear into them from the start. It'd be shame to go out at this stage of the competition considering our performances up until now. I'll probably be a bag of nerves all night!

COYS

Agreed. A lot of people seem to think we have this match wrapped up, but I think Milan will be really up for the second leg. We must attack from the start and not let them get a foothold. Hopefully Pirlo will remain sidelined.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭terrymccarthy05

We are going to have a big night for Spurs fans, who are not going over for the match, at Tom Mayes in Dublin, were the Dublin Supporters Club meet.
    Everybody is welcome. The atmosphere should be fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I swear as hard as it would be I'd take it as a success if we lost the next round 6-0 on aggregate as long as we knocked these dirty feckers out. I'll be a nervous wreck on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

The cnut just put them one up against the Old Lady..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

All very quiet lads, biggest game in a long time..COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DamienKilmurray

It`s a massive game alright. Looking forward to it but nervous at the same time! It`ll be a tough game but I think we will go through. If we can play like we did against Inter Milan at the lane we will beat them. My feeling is a draw result tomorrow night that will see us through. COYS I missed out on tickets for the game but I`m still travelling over tomorrow with my cousin and we`ll watch it in a pub. Any suggestions on which pub near the ground would be the best place to watch the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

The tie is far from over, and if any team have the capacity to throw it away, we do. Milan are not a great team, but they have experience.

We do, however, seem to be a much better side in the CL, better organised, more disciplined and more up for it, so we definitely have the ability to see them off. Far from wrapped up though.

Just another thing for anyone else who's going, there seems to be a fans innitiative to try and get a ticker tape reception planned as well.

Basically, bring a newspaper or some other kind of paper, tear it up, and throw it when the teams enter.

Any suggestions on which pub near the ground would be the best place to watch the game?

just asked that question on a spurs forum and someone reckons the Bill Nick should be a good place to watch it.

Someone else reckons the Coach and Horses, which is diagonally opposite the Bricklayers. Its also got "a heated outside bit" apparently. There's no need to show anything to get in there.

I know the Bricklayers Arms is usually very good pre- and post-match, but you might have to show a membership card to get in. It empties out during the game though.

I think the same goes for the Bell & Hare.

There should be bodies in the other two though, apparently.

The Gilpin Bell is another pub someone said would be a good bet

• Advertisement

mangaroosh wrote: »
    just asked that question on a spurs forum and someone reckons the Bill Nick should be a good place to watch it.

Someone else reckons the Coach and Horses, which is diagonally opposite the Bricklayers. Its also got "a heated outside bit" apparently. There's no need to show anything to get in there.

I know the Bricklayers Arms is usually very good pre- and post-match, but you might have to show a membership card to get in. It empties out during the game though.

I think the same goes for the Bell & Hare.

There should be bodies in the other two though, apparently.

Thanks for that Mangaroosh. We`re both members, so the membership card to get in is no problem. There will probably be a good atmosphere in most of the pubs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Im heading over to the game tomorrow. Anyone going for a prematch pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Nervous about this match now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The pressure is building,come on Spurs make it a night to remember please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Hopefully we attack them from the start, we don't defend well enough to sit back for 90 minutes. Good news on the injury front; Charlie, VDV and Bale are all available. Possible line-up:

Gomes
    Corluka, Dawson, Gallas, BAE
    Lennon, Sandro, Modric, Bale
    VDV, Crouch.

Bench (from): Cudicini, Bassong, Palacios, Pienaar, Kranjcar, Pavlyuchenko, Defoe, (Hutton, Jenas)

We could play Jenas or Palacios alongside Sandro and push Modric into VDV or Bale's position depending on the fitness of those 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spursman11

hope we go through tomorrow night,we need make noise at the lane unheard of before,going forward we are great but not defending a 1 nil lead ,not so sure c'mon the spurs,
    one of our group had to cry off with his uncle dying yesterday,really felt for him,bringing my 12 year old .a mad spurs fan ,was over the moon when I told him tonight,cant wait,
    c'mon the spurs!!:):):)

Nervous about this match now :(

I`m nervous too, but confident also that we will progress to the next round. It won`t be easy by any means, but I think we`ll do it. I hope the referee has a good game also, and doesn`t fall for any of the crap that Milan may provide for him. I just checked it out and he`s from Belgium, not the strongest of domestic leagues.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Gooner in peace - just noticed Flamini has defended his tackle on Corluka... unbelievable, he could so easily have shattered the guy's leg. Can't believe I liked him once. I actually hope your lot properly humiliate Milan tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Gooner in peace - just noticed Flamini has defended his tackle on Corluka... unbelievable, he could so easily have shattered the guy's leg. Can't believe I liked him once. I actually hope your lot properly humiliate Milan tomorrow!

Felt bad for you lot tonight, I was actually screaming at Bendtner to score after that bullsh*t red for RVP.

Now I must shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Here are a few stats I saw

Spurs retained the ball, on average, for 57 per cent of each match – the highest of any Premier League side in the competition – and fourth overall, behind Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Spartak Moscow.
    Aaron Lennon, Gareth Bale, Luka Modric and Rafael van der Vaart have only appeared, at the same time, once during Spurs' European campaign, the quartet has contributed eight assists and seven goals thus far

Thought the ball retention was very unlike us :p

Also Peter Crouch has scored seven goals in the champions League including qualifiers Milan have also scored seven goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I think Palacios should play, just to be on the safe side. Sandro has done well but I'd go for experience in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

I think that i would go with Sandro. He has been playing really well and has South American experience.

Time to head to the airport. Here we go ............

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭philon

Right....time to head to the Airport.

To all, going, watching, listening, reading....Enjoy the game.
    Hopefully this will be another Glory Glory Night

COYS

Getting butterflies now, I'll be a wreck come 8

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

If this game was 2-3 weeks ago I'd be relaxed but after the displays by our defense in the last two league games I just don't know how its going to go.

I'll be on the couch looking at the TV with one eye closed, peeping through my hands or over the top of a blanket as if I was watching a scary horror movie.

Hopefully it wont be a horror scene!

Our history of self destructing when in a promising position is legendary. Its only 12 months ago that we all though we were a shoe-in for an FA cup final game only to get undone by Portsmouth!

God, I'm a negative bugger

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

COME ON YOU SPURS....

COME ON YOU SPURS...

COME ON YOU SPURS....

oh my nerves are a wreck already...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭condor26

I'm working in Rome for this month, lots of uppity Milan fans here, and more sullen Roma fans after last nite:)
    Will be headed to town to watch it, can't wait!! I would go with Sandro in the middle too, hoping for a Modric masterclass.

Jesus i'd do anything to win this and get Barca in the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

ziedth wrote: »
    Jesus i'd do anything to win this and get Barca in the next round.

I'd really prefer to avoid them till the final! Would not be too confident playing against them to be honest.

How is the draw done for the next round anyway? I assume we can be drawn against anyone inc English teams yea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

yeah id prefer to get them in the final, we could possibly have a chance against them if they have an off day but there's no way we'd beat them over 2 legs

Advertisement