Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zebra Danio Baby HELP

Options
  • 25-02-2011 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Ok so I bought 4 zebra danios a few weeks ago. I came home this evening and noticed a tiny little baby darting around the end of the tank! What a shock! :eek:

Anyway Im a complete novice so I dont know what to do, websites say the big fish will eat it so Ive taken it out and put it in a bowl for the moment and have fed it flakes.
    Ile be going to fish shop tomorrow to ask advice but in the meantime,,,, have I done the right thing, will it survive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

Did you put water from the tank into the bowl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

Yeah I did ...

It should be ok so, dont feed it you will only dirty the water.
    There should be other babies in the tank.
    do you have a breader box?

No, I dont, I wasnt planning on babies, I assumed the eggs would be eaten and I wouldnt have any babies to look after!!:rolleyes:

get a net box tomorrow and save what you can.
    Crush the flake food before you give it to them and keep the net box as clean as you can.
    can you float the bowl in the tank over night to keep the temp up?

• Advertisement

No,im afraid not :( If its still alive tomorrow Ile defo get the net box...I hope it is!! Thanks for your help :) I hope youre around for the next lot of questions if it is alive tomorrow!:D

Do you have any strong bag that you could fill with water and the fish and float in the tank? if it gets too cold the fish will die! you might be better off to give it a chance in the tank than to leave it in the bowl all night

I have a sandwich bag I could float in the tank... see how that goes?

Denisejcc wrote: »
    I have a sandwich bag I could float in the tank... see how that goes?

ya, 3/4 fill it with tank water and add the fish, do not add food, float it in the tank and it should be ok till the morning, when you get up add a little fresh water from the tank, a small amount at a time and when you get the box you will be sorted :)

thanks so much for your help. Ile update thread tomorrow, hopefully saying its alive :):D

• Advertisement

Yaaay! Its alive, took a water sample and will go to Fish shop after work to see what its chances of survival are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'd love to see a pic Denise.

Ile do my best Fred but it is so tiny, I dont think you'll be able to see much, Ile give it a go when I get home! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Ye it could be very difficult unless you have a decent camera with a good lens.

:mad::(:mad::(
    Im a murderer!!

I went and bought a floating breeding trap brought it home and then lost the little fishy down the sink when I was getting him out of the plastic bag he was in! I should have just left him in the bag!

Devastated, the poor little thing, Im sorry Fishy RIP :(:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Ahhh you poor thing!!!!

Gutted! I was all set to raise the little mite and introduce him to his new family :(:(

:(RIP .. Just after I found him in the tank.... yesterday!

image0693edited.jpg

Sorry to hear about your loss :( keep an eye on the tank and you will probably find more at some stage :)

Thanks, I still feel guilty! :rolleyes::(:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement