Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LCD TV Resolution Problem

• 25-02-2011 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey Lads
    I have a problem with screen resolution:

I have my Medion WIM 2160 laptop connected to my Panasonic 26" LVD TV via VGA Cable.
    I do not have DVI or HDMI on my laptop. I upgraded the Laptop to Windows 7 from Vista. Everything seems to work fine bar this.

According to the manual, the TV's native resolution is 1366x768.
    But when I try to set this res, it's not available in the list. :mad:

The below link shows the TV's supported input resolutions on top and the list of res's I have to choose from on the bottom:
    http://img220.imageshack.us/i/pcsettings.jpg/

I've tried:
    1. Restarting the Laptop while plugged in ;)
    2. Updating monitor drivers
    3. Updating Video Card drivers
    4. Installing VGA Drivers from the medion website
    5. Using 2 different VGA Cables
    6. Using my friends laptop which did have 1366x768
    7. Praying... :(

Any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

set res to 720x576,or 1024x768,refresh rate on pc grahics card must be 60mhz,
    see tv manual,pc info,resolution ,most tvs have maybe 3,4 good resolutions for pc vga input, otherwise you,ll get awful,distortion .in the display.
    what tv model is it,eg sony 670m?
    native rers is tv display, blueray,consoles,etc it doesnt mean the tv can use that res in vga mode,or pc mode,
    i get a perfect picture on my tv,at 1024x768 res,and thats all i use , if i wanna play crysis,call of duty 4 at 1200x1000 ,i use my pc monitor.
    that res is designed for hdmode,ie sat tv hd,or blueray,not pc mode.
    most hdtvs are not designed to display that res 1333 ,in vga mode.
    the manual will say pc mode suipported resolution and thats it,unless you are a super tech expert any other res =crappy picture,or wavy,distorted display.
    can you use the 1366 res,did you try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tomyr7

ricman wrote: »
    set res to 720x576,or 1024x768,refresh rate on pc grahics card must be 60mhz,
    see tv manual,pc info,resolution ,most tvs have maybe 3,4 good resolutions for pc vga input, otherwise you,ll get awful,distortion .in the display.
    what tv model is it,eg sony 670m?
    native rers is tv display, blueray,consoles,etc it doesnt mean the tv can use that res in vga mode,or pc mode,
    i get a perfect picture on my tv,at 1024x768 res,and thats all i use , if i wanna play crysis,call of duty 4 at 1200x1000 ,i use my pc monitor.
    that res is designed for hdmode,ie sat tv hd,or blueray,not pc mode.
    most hdtvs are not designed to display that res 1333 ,in vga mode.
    the manual will say pc mode suipported resolution and thats it,unless you are a super tech expert any other res =crappy picture,or wavy,distorted display.
    can you use the 1366 res,did you try it.

The TV model is Panasonic TX-26LX80L & I downloaded the manual and it does support 1366x768 and it shows it in the link I provided above.

Also I used my friends laptop with a VGA connection, and his could set to 1366x768.

I am currently setting my TV res to 1024x768 @ 60Hz and it does work fine (no wavy distorted pic) but it is strected as it is not the TV's native VGA resolution.

The problem is that I cannot select 1366x768 as it does not show up in the list of resolutions. This is also shown in the link I have above.

Its not a major problem, But if the TV does support it, I'd like to know why my laptop doesn't??

windows laptops, have screens set for standard windows res,1024,1200,768,etc
    you can set a custom res using powerstrip program,just be careful, the wrong res could damage the laptop,or tv display, try the 1333 res,only on the tv display,connect to tv,at 1024, then change to 1333 ,when laptop screen is off.
    http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm
    download,install,it ,reboot pc.
    see http://www.addictivetips.com/hardware/how-to-connect-your-computerpc-or-laptop-to-your-tv/.
    set display,single display,only on tv.
    see http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/HDTV-Tutorial/123/5
    i cant remember how to set up a single tv ,display, its in grahics, propertys,advanced, tv,
    display 2 ,ie how to knock off laptop display,
    1333 res may be too much for the laptop.
    read herehttp://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-84730-external-monitor-with-laptop-won-t-work
    read
    section 19 user bobk,set tv tab,to euro standard, pal tv, not ntsc.

i think you should set the aspect ratio to 4/3 when using a pc on the tv in vga mode.
    this may make the picture look normal, non stretched.
    laptops are usually set up,with 1 resolution, to give a perfect picture on the screen,
    ie my screen is set for 1200x1000 ,as far as i know.
    most people never bother connecting to a tv ,unless they have hdmi out.
    you can change to fonts ,to xtra large,large icons,in display settings , when using a tv display.
    it might be confusing if there was 15 resolutions ,on a standard laptop, for the average non techie user ,who just use email,facebook,etc

windows laptops, have screens set for standard windows res,1022,1200,768,etc
    you can set a custom res using powerstrip program,just be careful, the wrong res could damage the laptop,or tv display, try the 1333 res,only on the tv display,connect to tv,at 1024, then change to 1333 ,when laptop screen is off.
    http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm
    download,install,it ,reboot pc.
    see http://www.addictivetips.com/hardware/how-to-connect-your-computerpc-or-laptop-to-your-tv/.
    set display,single display,only on tv.
    see http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/HDTV-Tutorial/123/5
    i cant remember how to set up a single tv ,display, its in grahics, propertys,advanced, tv,
    display 2 ,ie how to knock off laptop display,
    1333 res may be too much for the laptop.
    read herehttp://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-84730-external-monitor-with-laptop-won-t-work
    read
    section 19 user bobk,set tv tab,to euro standard, pal tv, not ntsc.

I'd read about powerstrip before, Just wanted to see if there was another solution first before I tried it. But i'll try it now.
    To select the single display as the TV in windows 7, they've added in a shortcut: Windows+P to select Computer only, duplicate, extend or Projector only
    i think you should set the aspect ratio to 4/3 when using a pc on the tv in vga mode.
    this may make the picture look normal, non stretched.
    laptops are usually set up,with 1 resolution, to give a perfect picture on the screen,
    ie my screen is set for 1200x1000 ,as far as i know.
    most people never bother connecting to a tv ,unless they have hdmi out.
    you can change to fonts ,to xtra large,large icons,in display settings , when using a tv display.
    it might be confusing if there was 15 resolutions ,on a standard laptop, for the average non techie user ,who just use email,facebook,etc

Yeah that would work too but I really wanna use up the entire screen ye know..
    I only really connect it up for watchin movies, TV shows etc.
    My native laptop res is 1280x800
    Thanks for your replies man

• Advertisement

i dont use windows,7, depends on your grahics cards,theres programs like rivatuner,that enable extra special grahics options,
    otherwise if you want to use 1333 resolution, powerstrip is the only option, for windows users,try different aspect ratios, when using the tv, it depends on the size,aspect of your tv.
    i just use 1024x768 for gaming on my hdtv ,but most of the time i use an xbox console,in 720p mode.and i get a perfect picture.i used 720 res x576 for dvd viewing from a laptop, picture was perfect, no stretching
    there may be a specific program, like ati utilitys for your grahics card.
    as far as i know,vga to tv,grahics card 60mhz=max refresh rate, thats important, otherwise you could damage the tube.
    your laptop may be set up,for 75htz,so check it in display propertys,advanced.
    there should be a sticky here,
    i use vga in on a pc monitor, from a 360,and the picture is perfect.
    if the aspect ratio is right ,and the resolution is matched then screen should be filled,
    since you are not using hdmi, there may be a small drop in clarity display,quality ,
    a hdtv is not identical to a pc monitor.
    connecting pcs to hdtv s.
    set it to 1024, then go up to 1333 when laptop screen is disabled.

i dont use windows,7, depends on your grahics cards,theres programs like rivatuner,that enable extra special grahics options,
    otherwise if you want to use 1333 resolution, powerstrip is the only option, for windows users,try different aspect ratios, when using the tv, it depends on the size,aspect of your tv.
    i just use 1024x768 for gaming on my hdtv ,but most of the time i use an xbox console,in 720p mode.and i get a perfect picture.i used 720 res x576 for dvd viewing from a laptop, picture was perfect, no stretching
    there may be a specific program, like ati utilitys for your grahics card.
    as far as i know,vga to tv,grahics card 60mhz=max refresh rate, thats important, otherwise you could damage the tube.
    your laptop may be set up,for 75htz,so check it in display propertys,advanced.
    there should be a sticky here,
    i use vga in on a pc monitor, from a 360,and the picture is perfect.
    if the aspect ratio is right ,and the resolution is matched then screen should be filled,
    since you are not using hdmi, there may be a small drop in clarity display,quality ,
    a hdtv is not identical to a pc monitor.
    connecting pcs to hdtv s.
    set it to 1024, then go up to 1333 when laptop screen is disabled.

Yeah there probably should be. Even though I've got a fairly good idea about hooking them up, Theres still some of this more advanced problems that you come across.
    The refresh is set to 60Hz. I tried 100Hz before though VGA because I think my TV is a 100Hz TV but it doesn't support it through VGA.

You could try unchecking the option to hide modes the monitor cannot display, it's in the Advanced settings. This should at least let the resolution appear in the list. I have seen some 768 line screens which only accept 1024x768 resolution via the VGA port despite being widescreen panels.

The other option would be to add 1366x768 as a custom resolution if the driver supports it. Many don't, some will only allow 1360x768.

Karsini wrote: »
    You could try unchecking the option to hide modes the monitor cannot display, it's in the Advanced settings. This should at least let the resolution appear in the list. I have seen some 768 line screens which only accept 1024x768 resolution via the VGA port despite being widescreen panels.

The other option would be to add 1366x768 as a custom resolution if the driver supports it. Many don't, some will only allow 1360x768.

Yeah I've been in those advanced settings, I think you go into device manager ->update drivers ->Browse computer ->Let me selct from list... Then untick the box and a list of resolutions appear, and the closest one is 1360x768 so just 6 pixels short but when I did this, It still didnt fix the problem.

I wasn't sure whether to update the drivers of:
    Generic PnP Monitor or
    Generic Non-Pnp Monitor

See Link below:
    http://img9.imageshack.us/i/deviceman.jpg/

I'm assuming one of these is my Laptop Monitor and the other is the TV/Projector/External monitor that I plug into my laptop??

powerstrip lets you make a custom resolution,so set,res to 1024, turn off laptop display,
    then from tv display, setup 1333 resolution to display on tv,thru the powerstrip interface,all tvs i ,ve seen use 60htz, for pc input, you may damage the laptop,if you setup 1333 on the screen,or it wont go over 1200 resolution.whats the laptop,card,nvidia or ati ?
    the whole purpose of powerstrip is to make a custom resolution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement