Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with XP SP3

• 25-02-2011 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

After running a re-install from the recovery partition and installing SP3, the pc gets as far as the XP logo and then restarts.

Compaq Presario running XP SP2 home edition.

Aside from not installing SP3, does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be?

All drivers are included in the recovery partition, and it runs fine until SP3 is installed.

I've tried using one of my own copies of XP in it, but the dvd rom is borked and it won't read the disc. I'm too lazy to use a spare dvd rom drive. That would involve opening up the pc and I really don't want to go to that hassle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Terry wrote: »

I've tried using one of my own copies of XP in it, but the dvd rom is borked and it won't read the disc. I'm too lazy to use a spare dvd rom drive. That would involve opening up the pc and I really don't want to go to that hassle.

if you have access to a laptop / other computer you could use a memory/usb stick.

http://liliputing.com/2008/04/install-windows-xp-on-mini-note-usb.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Can you boot into safe mode? if so, update all the drivers (the drivers in the image are probably all old). I'd imagine some driver thats loading during the boot is conflicting with sp3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

if you have access to a laptop / other computer you could use a memory/usb stick.

http://liliputing.com/2008/04/install-windows-xp-on-mini-note-usb.html
    Cheers, but it doesn't have a boot option for usb.

Can you boot into safe mode? if so, update all the drivers (the drivers in the image are probably all old). I'd imagine some driver thats loading during the boot is conflicting with sp3.

That's probably it.
    I just gave up and stopped SP3 from showing up in the the updates.
    Can't be arsed doing it again.
    It's only used for Facebook, WLM and the like anyway.

The information is handy for the future though.
    Thanks.

Advertisement