Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trucks heavier than 3T Parking in Housing estates

Options
  • 25-02-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Can trucks heavier than 3T park in housing estates?

I live in a housing estate off the inner relief road in Balbriggan. On the road there are sign banning trucks heavier that 3T from the road. Screenshot from google maps below.

If trucks can park in estates could I use the fact that my estate is located off a road with a ban on it to prevent the truck(s) from parking?

103zx94.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You need to apply to Fingal Co Co to have them set the 3T limit in the estate. Once they set that, it is then down to the Gardai to enforce it.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Thats very near my house. You could be my neighbour sgarvan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

As Paulw says the council have to set it. However if the trucks are parked dangerously/causing an obstruction you can take the reg & times it is parked and contact the Gardai.

First stop for me would be to approach the driver myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Cheers all.

It is not parked dangerously it is just parked outside my house, whereas the driver lives down the other end of the street.

I have approached him before and got no joy.

I would of thought that with the road leading up to the estate having a 3T ban on it the estate would inherit it, as the trucks should not be on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jamesbrond

I had a problem like this too. It only got solved when some scumbag moved in next door. He did a few things to the truck and had a scrap with the guy who owned it another night.
    I dont know what was worse him moving in or a giant truck for a view

• Advertisement

sgarvan wrote: »
    I would of thought that with the road leading up to the estate having a 3T ban on it the estate would inherit it, as the trucks should not be on the road.

Unfortunately not, if it's a public road where it's safe for the truck to park and there are no restrictions on the actual road then he is free to park there.

In our estate (close enough to you) we had a similar issue but kids started damaging the truck when it was parked up over the weekend so he had no choice but to move it & park it elsewhere. Parking the truck up didn't bother me so much but his shift obviously started at 4am & revving the truck at 3.45am wasn't a winning combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

i live in an estate with same restriction but buses are allowed come through and they are way over 3 tonnes
    if it was illegal you would have a nice ticket slapped on it by the gardai
    so its a bit of a contradictory issue realistically speaking unless the driver parks it stupidly and in turn causes an accident other than that i would not have any problems with it.

so what is the problem as a matter of interest

jimmynokia wrote: »
    i live in an estate with same restriction but buses are allowed come through and they are way over 3 tonnes
    if it was illegal you would have a nice ticket slapped on it by the gardai
    so its a bit of a contradictory issue realistically speaking unless the driver parks it stupidly and in turn causes an accident other than that i would not have any problems with it.

so what is the problem as a matter of interest

The problem is that I have an 5.5tonne truck parked outside my house when the driver lives at the other end of the street. At times it causes hassle for getting in and out of driveway and also it is an eye sore to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

if its outside your house and he lives the other end of street yeah that Is a different matter tell him to fcuk off and park it outside his own house or put somethin in his way like cones or makeshift bollards or park your car where he parks truck until he gets the message

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

sgarvan wrote: »
    The problem is that I have an 5.5tonne truck parked outside my house when the driver lives at the other end of the street. At times it causes hassle for getting in and out of driveway and also it is an eye sore to look at.

once it's legally parked you have no grounds for complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

If the only way he can gain access to your estate is to drive through an area with a 3 Ton Limit then yes he is illegally parked as he is within the 3 Ton cordon.

I would contact the council to check exactly were the weight limit is applicable & if it covers your estate as all ways into it are restricted, then I would contact the guards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

jimmynokia wrote: »

Its my understanding that buses are exempt from these restriction's.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Its my understanding that buses are exempt from these restriction's.

Correct. Providing they are passing through & not parking.

I know there is a 3T limit on the road above but I'm not sure if those signs were put up by error or if they are meant to be covered over. The relief road is designed to take HGV off the old Dublin/Belfast Road.

When all else fails I find the Roads Department in Fingal to be extremely helpful.

The Muppet wrote: »
    once it's legally parked you have no grounds for complaint.

I know that as it is a public road.
    celticbest wrote: »
    If the only way he can gain access to your estate is to drive through an area with a 3 Ton Limit then yes he is illegally parked as he is within the 3 Ton cordon.

I would contact the council to check exactly were the weight limit is applicable & if it covers your estate as all ways into it are restricted, then I would contact the guards.

Thats what I was hoping. The truck must go through a 3T cordon to get into the estate. Will follow it up with the council

Advertisement