Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs england

• 26-02-2011 12:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭

After our depressing defeat to bangladesh lets hope we can get a win over our english counter-parts on wednesday.

Have we any hope?

Have Ireland a chance of beating england in the 2011 cricket world cup? 155 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    NemesisRichardmike65LudoARGINITEFunkfieldmike2084PlaceboSeifertbatoxofDementoRSherifunorrie ruggerspartacus93InquitusminikinyoucancallmealCrematedreb73 155 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I don't think we do :(

I would have given us a much better chance if the Netherlands game hadn't been so competitive, but now I expect a chastised England attack to steamroll our weak top order and it'll be up to the lower order to get us past 150. If we bowl first I think it will be the same as the match from the last world cup, we'll look competitive at times but we'll never been in with a realistic chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

No
    I don't think we do :(

I would have given us a much better chance if the Netherlands game hadn't been so competitive, but now I expect a chastised England attack to steamroll our weak top order and it'll be up to the lower order to get us past 150. If we bowl first I think it will be the same as the match from the last world cup, we'll look competitive at times but we'll never been in with a realistic chance

:confused:

Some nice constructive debating there.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ireland/content/team/29.html?template=results

Here is the score at the fall of the fifth wicket looking back at our ODIs and 20/20s against Full Members for 2010

Ireland in Zimbabwe ODI Series -
    3rd ODI 5-115
    2nd 5-106
    1st 5-137

Bangladesh in Ireland ODI Series -
    2nd ODI 5-62
    3-235 (final score)

Australia in Ireland ODI Match 5-139

ICC World Twenty20 - 10th match, Group D 1-4 (rained off)

ICC World Twenty20 - 2nd match, Group D 5-39

Ireland in West Indies ODI Match 5-143

Now that is not my idea of a strong top order.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

No
    Well I think Joyce will make it stronger, and Marshall when he is allowed to play, if you can spread those two in the middle order it will bring a world of experience...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

No
    Dont think we have much hope of getting anything from the English game tbh, of course you never know but i know who i would be putting my money on.....heavily

• Advertisement

Cremated wrote: »
    Well I think Joyce will make it stronger, and Marshall when he is allowed to play, if you can spread those two in the middle order it will bring a world of experience...

I'd hope so but Joyce didn't fill me with much confidence in the last match :(
    Now I know I'm sounding ultra negative here, but the numbers don't look good. I think individually we have some great talent but collectively we are quite weak, any one of the guys is good enough to get a 50 in a match but when he does everyone else fails and we end up with these ridiculous scores.

And England's batting is certainly looking good at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

No
    Peadar06 wrote: »

This video is "Private" :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Peadar06

No
    Not private now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Peadar06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

No
    kryogen wrote: »
    Dont think we have much hope of getting anything from the English game tbh, of course you never know but i know who i would be putting my money on.....heavily

PP are giving 1/33 on an England win so you would certainly need to be putting it on heavily for any sort of return. Ireland at 10/1 is a great way to spend €10 - the price of a couple of pints and who knows - anything is possible. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

No
    all we need to do is play to the best of our ability and that was enough to beat pakistan in 2007 so why not have a chance vs england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Sorry guys. Big fan of Ireland and would like them to do well, but I think England have a little too much fire power.

Would love the boys to prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭loosecannon

No
    Ray Houghton reckons we can do it, that means the games as good as over for us. Ireland win...What a legend!

Any word on whether Broad is fit yet?

No
    England win the toss and bat...

No
    Any word on whether Broad is fit yet?

Stuart Broad is back from illness in place of Ajmal Shahzad, also Gary Wilson is back in the side for Ireland, in place of Andre Botha, how can they drop Botha?, if anyone was to get dropped it should have been White, Botha with 9-1-32-3 against Bangladesh :O,

and Alex Cusack is back in the side...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

No
    I am looking forward to this but I am stuck in a tutorial from 9-10 so i will miss the start of the match, anyways I hope Ireland can put up a good show this morning. I have not heard anything on Broad yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Cusack in for White.

I'm surprised at the omission of Botha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

What do you guys reckon we need to restrict england to?

The cricinfo commentary mentioned Wilson in for Botha but the team list has Botha.

Edit, they just changed it to Wilson....

Botha is injured or ill...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

shoutman wrote: »
    What do you guys reckon we need to restrict england to?

The English bowling hasn't exactly set the world alight but even at that I can see us struggling massively to break 200. Going on that thinking we'll need a super performance with the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

BBC wrote:
    0857 Commentary

We have just had a rousing rendition of Ireland's Call - now that's what I call an anthem... followed by the inevitably more staid sounds of God Save the Queen

Never thought i'd see that :eek:

Considering the pitch and outfield, I think it'll be a good effort to restrict England to less then 300. A lot depends on Dockrell I feel.

I think we could chase 280 with Joyce being key.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fox1978

Mmm, no slowing England at the moment :-( We need a nice momentum shift. Wasn't terribly impressed by the Irish batting during the last match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

KP is looks imperious. I think he is gonna score something seriously big today. Strauss doesnt look like he is going anywhere either :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Strong start from England, motoring along at more than seven an over. Pietersen not hanging around at all.

Set up to be a good game here.

I think I'd have delayed the blowling powerplay and brought on Dockrell.

Just to try break concentration of Peterson and Strauss. They seem to be in a comfort zone...

Edit, Dockrell on

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Unless we can pick up a couple of quick wickets I think we're in trouble :(

KP sounds in great nick

Dockrell got Strauss!
    From cricinfo

Dockrell to Strauss, OUT, Dockrell strikes again! Strauss out for 34 on his 34th birthday. Dockrell maintained his line, Strauss jumped outside off to try and manufacture a sweep to leg, in the end it went off a flurry of bat, arm and leg an onto the stumps

AJ Strauss b Dockrell 34 (37b 2x4 1x6) SR: 91.89

• Advertisement

Good work George :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Thank God :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fox1978

Thank God :D

Hey Jerry, big fan of your show. Who would've known you were an Irish cricket fan? There you go now

:D;)

Fox1978 wrote: »
    Hey Jerry, big fan of your show. Who would've known you were an Irish cricket fan? There you go now

:D;)

:P

That's a very important wicket right there.

Better luck next time KP :D

I honestly thought he was gonna shoot for a world record

• Advertisement

He rather gave his wicket away

Stirling to Pietersen, OUT, would you believe it? I guess you would have to. Ridiculous end to promising innings. Having faced two deliveries from Stirling, and played neither well, Pietersen aims a cute, reverse-dab. Manages a top edge that loops up for O'Brien to gobble behind the stumps

KP Pietersen c †NJ O'Brien b Stirling 59 (50b 7x4 2x6) SR: 118.00

Some very good fielding in the last few overs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

No
    Any updates? Stuck in college. How are we playing?

England 138/2 after 23 overs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 danieljm

any stream of the game for those of us stuck in college?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

danieljm wrote: »
    any stream of the game for those of us stuck in college?

http://myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=107287&part=sports

try seeing if you can find one that suits there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

164/2 @ 29 overs is not good news. At this rate they are heading to 320+, but it all can change any minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

This could get very ugly indeed. High scoring games don't suit us whatsoever.

211/2 35 overs.
    Bell and Trott both got 50s

Just noticed the poll. If you had asked me yesterday, I would have said Ireland had 60% chance - slightly above 50% as they call pull some surprises, and England a bit lax after their best performance todate against India.

But with the scores the way it is, I would say now it's only a 40% chance. It looks bleak at the moment but cricket is such a game where anything could happen and nothing is predictable. Fingers crossed and waiting for miracles.. all it takes is a couple of good overs and a few wickets, it could totally change the game!!

PS: I hope both Trott and Bell now wastes overs trying to safely reach their 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

positron wrote: »
    Just noticed the poll. If you had asked me yesterday, I would have said Ireland had 60% chance - slightly above 50% as they call pull some surprises, and England a bit lax after their best performance todate against India.

But with the scores the way it is, I would say now it's only a 40% chance. It looks bleak at the moment but cricket is such a game where anything could happen and nothing is predictable. Fingers crossed and waiting for miracles.. all it takes is a couple of good overs and a few wickets, it could totally change the game!!

PS: I hope both Trott and Bell now wastes overs trying to safely reach their 100.

40%? More like 5%. England will make 300+ and Ireland will probably struggle to something around 200.

40%? More like 5%. England will make 300+ and Ireland will probably struggle to something around 200.

You could have said something similar half-way thru last India vs England match too, but see how that went in the end? So here's I am hoping that English bowling turns out lame and fielding lax, and Ireland gets a few centuries at least, if not a win! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

England are a top quality team with a top order all capable of making big runs (bar Collingwood).

Ireland have never chased anything greater than 235 against a test nation, and that was against Bangladesh. Sorry to be defeatist but this one's over. 5% was probably a generous figure to be honest.

Proly. Powerplay taken - let's see how next few overs goes.

Wide to boundary..!! facepalm!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Top work from Trott and Bell. Steadied the ship really well and have kept us going along at a very good run rate. Time to start taking a few risks to hit the boundary with more frequency, 8 overs left and some capable hitters still to come.

• Advertisement
Advertisement