Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs england

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

My cables gone haywire... Is it on the TV news yet??

It better be the first thing that they read out in news today !!

and i demand pat kenny to sit and have a chat with Kevin Obrien !! He deserves some national attention...

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

No
    Either way about Morgan, my feeling he is sitting somewhere watching this, and he is as happy as everyone one of us here,

I can't say I like him being with England but the man is Irish, and I'm sure he is absolutely delighted...

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Man I'm exhausted after that, and all I was doing was reading cricinfo updates :D

Highlights at 8 on Sky Sports 3, and at 10 on BBC2 for those who want to watch/record/relive one of Ireland's great sporting days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

jmx009 wrote: »
    My cables gone haywire... Is it on the TV news yet??

It better be the first thing that they read out in news today !!

and i demand pat kenny to sit and have a chat with Kevin Obrien !! He deserves some national attention...

Top story on TV3 news at half five there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

PDN wrote: »
    No sour grapes either!

Why act humble after the greatest run chase ever in a World Cup?

Because you have only won a group game, you have only attained 2 points, and you have a hell of a long way to go before you even think of a quarter final place?

You have also only played a team who (by admission here as an England and Kent fan) are very, very average at the 50 over version of the game, who are injury riddled, out of form, and fatigued from probably the most testing winter's cricket they have played?

A bit of perspective is needed, but I will say again I applaud the efforts and excitement your team has brought to the world cup today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

jmx009 wrote: »
    He deserves some national attention...

I'd imagine right now he is giving a nations attention to a beer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

No
    Jesus way to piss on our chips...

Because you have only won a group game, you have only attained 2 points, and you have a hell of a long way to go before you even think of a quarter final place?

You have also only played a team who (by admission here as an England and Kent fan) are very, very average at the 50 over version of the game, who are injury riddled, out of form, and fatigued from probably the most testing winter's cricket they have played?

A bit of perspective is needed, but I will say again I applaud the efforts and excitement your team has brought to the world cup today.

Dude, go whinge somewhere else.
    The last thing we ever see from England is perspective.

Seriously, posting that stuff, in an Irish cricket thread, about an Irish win, its just **** behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Right now, there's loads of pakistanis going nuts on the cricinfo facebook page saying that the game was a fix. It's tiresome trying to tell them that not every country is like Pakistan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Dude, go whinge somewhere else.
    The last thing we ever see from England is perspective.

Seriously, posting that stuff, in an Irish cricket thread, about an Irish win, its just **** behaviour.

Fair enough, I'm off. Enjoy the celebrations and be careful when jumping off the bandwagon after the India game lads

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I'm off. Enjoy the celebrations and be careful when jumping off the bandwagon after the India game lads

Oh I'm a bandwagoner am I?

Right so, whatever you say Johnny.
    Don't let the proverbial door hit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭l3m0n5

No
    Set the Sky plus to record the bbc cricket highlights tonight. A first by a long shot. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭TheRevolution

No

Jesus christ. Its Ireland cricket were talking about here, we have just beaten one of the top teams in the world, sorry for being enthuastic :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

you lost, get over it

Ireland's records will stand for a long time, bandwagon or not, highest run chase victory, fastest century and of course the result will stand forever

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

LondonIrish: D'Oracle is right. You should be on Whinge.ie not Boards.ie

Let us have our moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I just got in a few minutes ago. Still reading the summaries. I was following for a while and decided to go for a long photo walk instead when Irl were no hopers at 40/1, Eng at 1/200 on PP. I'm very happily slightly shocked and annoyed at my lack of faith making me miss it.

I look forward to watching us do it again live, in person, some time in august;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

So when are England going to beat us at hurling?

Major gloating fail: London won the hurling All-Ireland in 1901, defeating Cork by 1-5 to 0-4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Trent Johnston on Newstalk speaking live now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I would say Kev O'Brien will get an IPL deal after today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Andrew Strauss, Geoffrey Boycott, Ian Botham, Michael Atherton, David Gower, Winston Churchill, William Shakespeare, David Cameron, Prince William, Alan Sugar, Ricky Gervais - your boys took one hell of a beating :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

No
    Chuffed for the lads, each of them looked pretty calm out there in the middle considering the occassion and the opposition!

This win, IMO, will have made it a bit more difficult for Ireland as far as progressing to the quarter finals is concerned.. The stronger teams - India, South Africa and possibly the Windies - have been forewarned and will be better prepared, but then again after chasing 327 Ireland should be bouyant and rightly so..

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

No
    Pauleta wrote: »
    I would say Kev O'Brien will get an IPL deal after today

A lot of people on Cricinfo are asking if he was up for the auction which he was, you can have your Shane Watson's and KP's, we will have K'OB ;)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

So what if people join the bandwagon, most of the people on this forum take an active interest in Cricket. If not, at least this game (like 2007 world cup run) will help raise the profile of Cricket here and maybe get more people involved and supportive of the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 chanianaus

I have been waiting for this for ages .

Cricket has officially arrived to the masses of ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Thank f*ck no one will throw stones at me for playing Cricket in Irleand - or so I hope. :D

PS: no one ever did that, but I was asked a few times by some old timers 'isn't that the english game you are playing' etc. ;)

PPS: I haven't played cricket in Ireland in a few years! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Well done Ireland! Texted a few mates in London, theyre gutted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

No
    chanianaus wrote: »
    I have been waiting for this for ages .

Cricket has officially arrived to the masses of ireland.

For the 2nd time but hopefully it will be more beneficial this time. This is the sort of news that it's good to see being reported Worldwide and to hell with the begrudgers. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Incredible game . . this result will make quite a stir :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hey, just wanted to say congrats to you guys.. I've no interest in cricket myself but I'm over the moon for its Irish followers.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    Congratulations to Ireland - fantastic performance, particularly from KOB. Not sure I can bear to watch the highlights tonight - all sorts of records established - some that may survive a long time

Think I'll vote yes now!!

[/buries head in shame:o]

Bring on Clontarf ... a chance for revenge:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

No
    Right now, there's loads of pakistanis going nuts on the cricinfo facebook page saying that the game was a fix. It's tiresome trying to tell them that not every country is like Pakistan.

im from pak and support both teams.
    Your comment is uncalled for.
    Sangakara was also allegedly in for fixing his previous match. These are speculations and allegations which come to air when an unexpected twist comes to surface. So it comes with the good. Why act like a teenager and bother "trying to tell them". Enjoy the victory, its well deserved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

If i've been reading this right, Judgement day has just won 100 quid :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

No
    Any room on that Band Wagon........... and we didn't even need that Duck is Worth it yokey thingy me bob...................... I LOVE Cricket !!!!!!!!!!1

Well done to all involved ....... serious credit due here.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

What an epic achievement. Brilliant. Well done fellas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No
    NWPat wrote: »
    Major gloating fail: London won the hurling All-Ireland in 1901, defeating Cork by 1-5 to 0-4.

Yeah but how many of them were Australian or South Afican eh, eh? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Comedian / Cricket nutter Andy Zaltzman (Cricinfo, Test Match Sofa, The Bugle) has been Tweeting like crazy from the press box:
    Martial law declared in London. One to the sweeper for Mooney. 3 to win off the last over. Shall we call it an honorable draw?
    Rioting in Manchester, people burning effigies of Len Hutton. Not sure I'll ever be able to return home.
    Anderson to Mooney... and he slams it to midwicket for 4. The greatest victory in Irish cricket, one of the greatest in all cricket.
    Prince Charles seen frantically paddling a canoe across the English Channel to find safe haven in France...
    Strauss blames defeat on a combination of "the merciless claw of fate" and Matt Prior eating the team's lucky chicken, Genevieve.
    Kevin Pietersen also refuses to acknowledge result. "We had our feet off the ground when the toss was made, so it doesn't count."
    Mike Gatting pledges to eat his own weight in Dublin Bay prawns in pennance. Bob Willis donates himself to charity.
    What a day for cricket. Another privilege to witness. Signing off now to try to find some Irish ancestry...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

No
    ajeffares wrote: »
    If i've been reading this right, Judgement day has just won 100 quid :D

More importantly I was there! At 3.50pm I realised that the win was on and ran out of the house and down to my local to watch the final overs on TV with a pint. When I got to the pub the TV wasn't even on but by the final overs everyone had moved down to watch and were shouting Ireland on! Even people with only the vaguest knowledge of cricket were excited by history being made by Ireland.
    I was there when Ian Botham won the Ashes at Headingley and Edgbaston (in my armchair) but because I was lucky enough to watch it live the memory will always stay with me. Happy days. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

John Boy Mooney is going to be interviewed on the Six One news on RTÉ 1 next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

No
    Unbelievable result. It just shows what dividends hard work and planning pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

No
    Amazing, was sure they had no chance of getting over 300 like many on here earlier.

Phenomenal result for Irish cricket.

Lol @ the poll now, when I voted yes at the start of the match it was about 50/50 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

No
    Hard to put the result into words!

Amazing to think that literally one of the great one-day innings has come from an Irishman. To score that quickly for a sustained period under that pressure is something, he just kept coming up with the big shots. Outstanding.

I actually thought we did well in the end to restrict Eng to below 330. Didn't think we'd chase it but figured the guys would give a good account with the bat. Certainly did that, amazing win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

kryogen wrote: »
    Dont think we have much hope of getting anything from the English game tbh, of course you never know but i know who i would be putting my money on.....heavily

Hope you did not put much money on man.

What a result for Ireland, truly fantastic, definately one to wind all the brits up anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

No
    I had the last of my Paddy Power money on Ireland, 7 whole euro at 10/1. Delighted, Ireland and England both got what they deserved. Ireland were terrific and England were shocking in the field and with the ball, as they were against the Dutch.

Still hope England go on and win the tournament (not very likely!) but this has been a fantastic boost for my bank balance and nearly as importantly, Irish Cricket, not only a win in a World Cup, but a win against England.

Congratulations Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

No
    what odds were Ireland to win this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

think i have just about calmed down now,epic thats all i can say,very good for irish cricket in the bigger picture.cant wait for the highlights later!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

No
    duckysauce wrote: »
    what odds were Ireland to win this?

10/1 at start of play on P.Power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

No
    Close the poll now? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Absolutely delighted with the result. Even more so as at 110-5(approx) it looked like we were on course for a hiding. Even on the Cricket Ireland ball-by-ball commentary at that stage they were saying I don't know whats left in this game for Ireland. Amazing innings from Kevin O'Brien.

Between England cherry picking our best players and the ICC idea of reducing the number of teams to 10 next time out its a constant battle against the odds. Don't forget Netherlands beat England in the 20/20 a few years back and ran them relatively close last week so even with a few hidings its very short-sighted by the ICC to reduce the number of teams.

Its big for the Irish players as I'm sure they felt their best chance of a win against a test nation in this world cup had passed them by last Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Amazing stuff, still pretty emotional.

Shame shame shame on the ICC for pretty much ruling out these sort of days for the next world cup. Boo-urns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I know highlights will be on but does anyone know if there will by any place to watch the Irish innings (and especially the post match commentary from the Sky sports team) in full anywhere?

Missed the live broadcast and would love to watch them cry!

• Advertisement
Advertisement