Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs england

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

The commentators very very unbiased in fairness to them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

No

Im not into cricket per say, just happend to be in the company of ppl watchin the match and have to say i was very impressed with how unbiased and even the commentators were today. Very unlike other sports commentary's.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 West Brit

Brilliant result for Ireland!
    O'Brien destroyed England with outstanding play and control.

Hard to believe that was the same side that won the Ashes 3-1!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/503934.html

Good article on cricinfo about today's result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just seen the highlights, now I have to admit, am from England orriginally, supported them through the Ashes, and the one day series afterwards, but come the WC could only support ever see myself supporting Ireland, and that was simply amazing.

Some amazing batting, especially from KOB, full credit also has to go to the Irish bowlers as well. To have the fastest 100 in one day cricket, and to also reach and beat the highest target in one day is something else. Hopefully test status cannot be to far away.

Just a comment on the English team, and not taking anything away from the Irish performance, but the English feilders really need to address some unforgivable feilding errors, there was a heck of alot of dropped balls there today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No
    Just watched it, as mentioned some shocking fielding and bowling too. England with the bat are as good as they've ever been but without it - another story right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Im not into cricket per say, just happend to be in the company of ppl watchin the match and have to say i was very impressed with how unbiased and even the commentators were today. Very unlike other sports commentary's.

Was following it via live updates on the Beeb today, now that was bias.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It does seem to be a cricket thing going as far back as I recall. As a general thing obviously. I played it a bit in school(my dad had played more), but used to watch it on the gogglebox as a kid a fair bit. I did note even then the evenhandedness of the commentary. Botham was getting to be big at the time I was actually playing it. The poster boy for the wider world(rightfully. Hell of a player at his best). Even so if he was bowled out or a dodgy decision given agin him, even if the commentators were a tad partisan, the commentary was 90% magnanimous. Like puppetmaster said quite unlike most other sports commentary. Funny enough(and ironically given our history blah blah) GAA commentary was very similar in that magnanimity and respect, which also impressed me. In both cases you'd hear commentators from one side damn near cheer at quality play from the opposing side(though you could spot those who had been in the bookies earlier :D). Other sports could defo learn from that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Great result for Ireland.

Kevin O Brien was superman today.

Im and India fan as i come from an indian family nd born here but by god will i be rooting for Ireland on Sunday. They deserve to get to to the knock out stages and let the ICC know that by getting rid of the associate teams in future world cups is not good for the game.

These teams need to develp and be able to get stronger and if they dont play against the test playing nations they will be left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 colsmiff

just curious, how old would the older lads that play for your team be??

Most of us have been around the block and are in our prime;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

kob4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭patmac

Fianna Fáil in ruins, Green Party gone, sun shining and Ireland beat England at cricket, Enda can do no wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

No
    colsmiff wrote: »
    Most of us have been around the block and are in our prime;)

seriously, was just wondering what the average age is i often thought about playing but not sure if i was at the wrong side of thirty to take it up.

kob4.jpg

Pow!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

kob4.jpg

If only this had been around at the time of the Richard Keys incident :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

West Brit wrote: »
    Hard to believe that was the same side that won the Ashes 3-1!!!!

It wasn't! At least I hope I never see that trundler Yardy turning out in white for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

No
    RoyMcC wrote: »
    According to the BBC text commentary they went out to 400-1 at one stage - wish I'd put sixpence on then. Fantastic result and I hope Ireland get the credit they deserve, never mind how poor England may have been.

I see the poll predicted it correctly though :)

I don't know where the 400/1 was, although at 110 for 5, I suppose betfair or somewhere.

I put 10 euro on Ireland immediately after Porterfield was out. It was with PaddyPower at 33/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

No
    WOW!!

What a win! Cant say enough about O Brien today, just one of those days where everytime he swung the bat magic happened :)

Probably the best result we have ever had

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

kryogen wrote: »
    WOW!!

What a win! Cant say enough about O Brien today, just one of those days where everytime he swung the bat magic happened :)

Probably the best result we have ever had

Sums up exactly what I was gonna say.

I watched the last two hours in a pub with people that wouldn't know the first thing about Cricket.

For the last hour I had the whole pub shouting.

Well done lads. You have given us one of the great days in Irish sport at a time when we needed it and least expected it.

No
    It should serve as a springboard to get more people involved in and interested in cricket in Ireland too which can only be a good thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Best place to learn he rules lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Cricket.... where? how? why?

Never knew that there was an Irish cricket team...

I saw it on the news earlier and fell off the chair when I saw it... any quick pointers on understanding cricket for the uninitiated like moi... ? :o

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Best place to learn he rules lads?

watching a match with someone who knows the rules is honestly the best way to learn them.

If you've got time to read http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/rules_and_equipment/default.stm

If you have any specific questions just ask here and someone will explain :)

No
    Ask about it here, read the stickys

check out the website www.cricinfo.com

but as has been said, watch a few matches with someone who already knows the game and they can explain it as they go (for newbies id advise getting hooked on the limited overs games first, test matches might be too much too soon :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Hmmm 327 you say England? Bring it on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 nnulk

That was a superb game - At one point we were down. But Kevin was so consistent - i cudnt believe. you shud see the excitement from the team after winning. Felt so much proud of the boys...
    Lads who r new to the game - you shud seriously learn abt Cricket...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

Just......incredible.

Took the day off work to watch it, but will admit to giving up around 3 o'clock when Ireland were 5 men out.
    Took doggie for a walk, came back and tuned in and got the best feeling I've ever had watching sport since Stuttgart in '88.

Am a northern nationalist, not that it matters, but have always loved
    cricket. Hurling is my love, but maybe someone will correct me when I
    say that the sport used to be popular in Kilkenny? Would explain the
    eye/hand co-ordination anyway.

Was never a cricket fan till I watched a few games on the mall in Armagh
    and spent a few unemployed summmers as a student watching engerland v australia in the test series.

Spent a few months in Australia and really love the one day format.
    Just a superb game, and hoping this is the catalyst for it to take off in this country.

Am a northern nationalist, not that it matters, but have always loved
    cricket. Hurling is my love, but maybe someone will correct me when I

Yeah there was a book written on it a few years ago, I never got round to buying it but I read it in the shop loads of times, my parish alone had 3/4 different teams from different parts of the parish

Yeah there was a book written on it a few years ago, I never got round to buying it but I read it in the shop loads of times, my parish alone had 3/4 different teams from different parts of the parish

Cheers Riffmogous, must look that out, if you remember the name of book can you PM me? I think I remember a programme a few years ago featuring the great DJ showing a cricket team around croke park? My gaaaddled head may be deceiving me though.

Amazing to think Cricket was so popular though, and faded away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

No
    Cheers Riffmogous, must look that out, if you remember the name of book can you PM me? I think I remember a programme a few years ago featuring the great DJ showing a cricket team around croke park? My gaaaddled head may be deceiving me though.

Amazing to think Cricket was so popular though, and faded away.

Well last summer Ireland hosted Australia and DJ was in Croke Park with the Australian team, perhaps it was then?,

I read that the Australians really wanted to see Croke Park ;)...

Cremated wrote: »
    Well last summer Ireland hosted Australia and DJ was in Croke Park with the Australian team, perhaps it was then?,

I read that the Australians really wanted to see Croke Park ;)...

Not suprised the aussies wanted to see a proper stadium!

That might have been it 'cremated', will check my brain tomorrow and
    see if it is responsive to even the slightest probing. Went out this
    evening to celebrate Irelands great victory and found myself wishing I
    hadn't went out to celebrate Irelands great victory as much as I intended to.
    Celebrating a cricket victory can take a few hours, with a break for tea.
    But Irelands great victory I did celebrate, and so, to bed. Victorious.

Apologies if posted before, but:

Andrew Strauss, Geoffrey Boycott, Ian Botham, Michael Atherton, David Gower,
    Winston Churchill, William Shakespeare, David Cameron, Prince William, Maggie thatcher,
    - your boys took one hell of a beating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

What next for Ireland.... after the World Cup that is....Test match cricket surely....the likes of Sri Lanka and Bangladesh had achieved significantly less at the international level when they were awarded test match status by the ICC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

mike65 wrote: »
    Just watched it, as mentioned some shocking fielding and bowling too. England with the bat are as good as they've ever been but without it - another story right now.

+1, Watched the game yesterday, England were utterly woeful. Fielding was beyond bad and the bowling attack was toothless. Absolutely fantastic result for Ireland, and I hope this result ensures Ireland place in the next WCC and silences the doubters. But don't be under any illusions, in the cold light of day, objectively this was as bad a one-day performance in the field from an England team as I've seen in a long time. Also hope that the result means more Irish folk will take to the game and make an effort to follow the team/sport more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

toomevara wrote: »
    +1, Watched the game yesterday, England were utterly woeful. .

They batted well and were really going for an easy win when they had us at 110 for 5.

Dropped a few catches but that happens.

Utterly woeful isn't how I would describe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Part of a Cricinfo article
    O’Brien strode to the wicket yesterday with an ODI average of 34, and a strike rate of 75. Against current Test nations, he averaged 22. In World Cups he averaged 23. His one previous ODI century was against Kenya three years ago. So it is fair to say that if a passing soothsayer had told you that he would reach 100 off 50 balls against an attack containing three of the world’s top 10-ranked Test bowlers, including moving from 5 to 90 in 35 of the more extraordinary deliveries in cricket history, you would have sat him down, mopped his brow, given him a sharp talking to, told him to get a proper job, and poured a cup of iced tea over his head.

This made O’Brien’s magnificent explosion all the more impressive, just as VVS Laxman’s 281 shone even more brightly because he walked to the wicket with a Test average of 27, and a single century to his name from 20 Tests over four years.

That poor little white ball yesterday must have been wishing it has never been born, as it suffered major impact trauma after major impact trauma, and caused mayhem in the Bangalore Air Traffic Control centre.

:D

Got to stress the role John Mooney and Alex Cusack played.
    Mooney with 4 wickets and a calm 33 at the death is a man of the match performance in its own right and Cusack was fantastic in giving the strike to O'Brien and chipped in with boundaries when needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

booth70 wrote: »

What next for Ireland.... after the World Cup that is....Test match cricket surely....the likes of Sri Lanka and Bangladesh had achieved significantly less at the international level when they were awarded test match status by the ICC

Test match cricket is a whole different ball game, and until there is a national league/tournament of 4 day cricket in Ireland there is little hope of acheiving Test Status. Ireland have been the dominant force in associate members cricket for about a decade and even without the stunning victory over England should be pushing for higher status. Finance and a will to push forward is what is needed right now or the opportunity for progress may be lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Originally Posted by mackthefinger View Post

Michael O'Dwyer, The history of cricket in County Kilkenny, Kilkenny : O'Dwyer Books, 2006

also try

Pat Bracken, Foreign and fantastic field sports : cricket in County Tipperary, Thurles : Liskeveen Books, 2004

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Pal wrote: »
    They batted well and were really going for an easy win when they had us at 110 for 5.

Dropped a few catches but that happens.

Utterly woeful isn't how I would describe.

If we are fair about it, the way their pace attack crumbled under pressure from Kevin and Cusack can only be described as woeful.

But that is cricket. I have seen it happen to the best bowlers in the world.
    And it speaks more of the lads than anything else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

No
    bitter wrote: »
    I thought this stupidity was a thing of the past :eek:
    agreed. absolutely scandalous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No
    Hurling is my love, but maybe someone will correct me when I

The counties where Cricket was most popular became the counties that are best at hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

No
    I remember when we used to invade the local GAA pitch, during summer, to play cricket. That was never appreciated I can tell you.

Such a puty the northside Cork city did not have a club. There would have been a ready made team if 10 to 13 year olds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

So will this result help knock the west brit stigma cricket in Ireland (well ROI) gets?

Or will it always be looked upon as a posh Proddy sport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

Anywhere I can watch this online???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Peadar06

No
    0verblood wrote: »

http://www.i2stream.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

0verblood wrote: »
    Extensive highlights here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

fryup wrote: »
    So will this result help knock the west brit stigma cricket in Ireland (well ROI) gets?

Or will it always be looked upon as a posh Proddy sport?

Beating Pakistan 4 years ago didn't help any, this won't change the view that it's a backward colonial era sport (and a waste ground where we could have a good hurling pitch or golf club).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

antoobrien wrote: »
    this won't change the view that it's a backward colonial era sport (and a waste ground where we could have a good hurling pitch or golf club).

The irony :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭TheRevolution

No
    antoobrien wrote: »
    Beating Pakistan 4 years ago didn't help any, this won't change the view that it's a backward colonial era sport (and a waste ground where we could have a good hurling pitch or golf club).

Anyone who thinks that is an idiot tbh. We better give up soccer, rugby and tennis so. The funny thing is those same people who would think that are probably obsessed with soccer and probably follow an English team and the English premiership religiously. Whilst I love GAA, I always have this niggling feeling that we'd be one of the top teams in soccer, one of the best teams in rugby and would be better than a lot of teams in cricket if it did not take away so many athletes. I love GAA but the one huge negative is we can never compete on the world stage in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

No
    Anyone who thinks that is an idiot tbh. We better give up soccer, rugby and tennis so. The funny thing is those same people who would think that are probably obsessed with soccer and probably follow an English team and the English premiership religiously. Whilst I love GAA, I always have this niggling feeling that we'd be one of the top teams in soccer, one of the best teams in rugby and would be better than a lot of teams in cricket if it did not take away so many athletes. I love GAA but the one huge negative is we can never compete on the world stage in it.

And that certain elements, within the GAA, actively "discourage" people from playing other sports

• Advertisement
Advertisement