Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs england

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

No
    I've seen it a lot where club managers would tell kids to pick between soccer and GAA even when the matches weren't conflicting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

No
    Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Best place to learn he rules lads?

i found i picked it up as i went along watchin it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 superirish

No
    Awesome win by Ireland against England!!:)

All the best for Forthcoming cricket matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Best place to learn he rules lads?

My dad :D When I left home at 20 to live in Oxford he typed out a list for me: 20 Things You Need to Know about Cricket. I still came back a rower though :rolleyes:

You can pick up the basics fairly quickly by watching a match with someone who knows how the scoring works, expecially in a limited overs match. I'm still asking him questions about the rules though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

im not english, but this is gay. people who have never watched a game of cricket, and until yesterday didnt even know what a "wicket" or a "run" is suddenly seem to know everything about cricket, way to get on the bandwagon.

sad day for english cricket really, the better team didnt win, i give 100% credit to KOB for his batting, was amazing to watch, he single handedly won the match, but england got too cocky, catches were dropped and as we know catches win matches. and also should have fielded first rather than bat. fielding in the dark is impossible, specially since you're already crap at fielding.

i support ireland a 100%, more so than my own country's team (which is pretty much guranteed to be in the 1/4s if not the semi finals), but people who never supported ireland until yesterday should crawl back under their rocks and never come out. ye annoy the shiet outta me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

No
    im not english, but this is gay. people who have never watched a game of cricket, and until yesterday didnt even know what a "wicket" or a "run" is suddenly seem to know everything about cricket, way to get on the bandwagon.

sad day for english cricket really, the better team didnt win, i give 100% credit to KOB for his batting, was amazing to watch, he single handedly won the match, but england got too cocky, catches were dropped and as we know catches win matches. and also should have fielded first rather than bat. fielding in the dark is impossible, specially since you're already crap at fielding.

i support ireland a 100%, more so than my own country's team (which is pretty much guranteed to be in the 1/4s if not the semi finals), but people who never supported ireland until yesterday should crawl back under their rocks and never come out. ye annoy the shiet outta me.

Great attitude. :rolleyes: Surely the more people who take an interest in the game the better? I haven't seen m(any) posts by people claiming to suddenly know everything about cricket just expressing opinions and interest. Lighten up.

Great attitude. :rolleyes: Surely the more people who take an interest in the game the better? I haven't seen m(any) posts by people claiming to suddenly know everything about cricket just expressing opinions and interest. Lighten up.
    clearly you havent logged on to facebook today :rolleyes:

No
    clearly you havent logged on to facebook today :rolleyes:

Since we are on Boards rather than Facebook I assumed that's what you referred to - anyway your attitude still stinks.

Since we are on Boards rather than Facebook I assumed that's what you referred to - anyway your attitude still stinks.
    i'd love to see ireland play test cricket, but seriously, none of these people are even geniune about their expression of happiness, they'll want to be "in" with the crowd today and have a few pints while talking about cricket, but we wont see them around until the next t20 cup or the world cup, these bandwagoners who only stay around until the world cup is bad for cricket.

we need loyal supporters. not bandwagons. these were the same people who came out in hordes after ireland beat pakistan, where was that bandwagon during the last 4 years?

• Advertisement

No
    No answer to that but it's down to the cricketing authorities here to drive the game forward and cash in on the publicity and goodwill generated by a game like yesterday. I haven't played since the early 1980's but days like yesterday have me dusting off my pads and thinking about bringing my kids to the local club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

No
    i'd love to see ireland play test cricket, but seriously, none of these people are even geniune about their expression of happiness, they'll want to be "in" with the crowd today and have a few pints while talking about cricket, but we wont see them around until the next t20 cup or the world cup, these bandwagoners who only stay around until the world cup is bad for cricket.

we need loyal supporters. not bandwagons. these were the same people who came out in hordes after ireland beat pakistan, where was that bandwagon during the last 4 years?

If you get one genuine supporter/player, for 100 bandwagoners, it is still one extra supporter/player that you had to begin with.
    The more people talking about it then the less stigma will go along with playing it

No
    There's no stigma to playing it. Anybody who has a problem with it due to its origins has a chip on their shoulder and should cop on as it's nearly 2016 not 1916.

No

and the likes of you annoy the ****e outta me. question for you... how does any sport attract and expand their fanbase surely bandwagoning has something to do with it, with results like these do you not think that the interest in cricket will increase in ireland. and if the sport holds onto some of that interest when the world cup is over then thats a job well done in my eyes. e.g wolfetone posted on this thread congratulating the team and now wants to learn the rules and fair play to him e.g.#2 i had absolutely no interest in cricket before the last world cup and now i love watchin.

and there you go again with the typical english sports fan mentality 'the better team didnt win', 'fielding in the dark is impossible' excuse excuse excuse, i think it is you that should crawl back under your rock the same rock where england win at every sport(probably because their the only team there) and as for being 'guaranteed' to be in the 1/4's or semis i think its you being cocky.

No answer to that but it's down to the cricketing authorities here to drive the game forward and cash in on the publicity and goodwill generated by a game like yesterday. I haven't played since the early 1980's but days like yesterday have me dusting off my pads and thinking about bringing my kids to the local club.

thats exactly what we need, more people PLAYING cricket, and more talent comming in, i havent played cricket in a while, but i was hitting 6's in my back yard before i started speaking my first words :o

im pretty sure the game wasnt even shown at many pubs, it was probably some football etc being shown, and most "bandwagnoers" didnt even watch the game, they just heard about it, i mean i'd probably be happy for ireland if we beat england at rugby, even though i've never played rugby or even watched a match all my life, so i guess we shouldnt look at it as something majorly bad, but me jumping on the rugby bandwagon wont necessiarily help rugby.

ireland is a great team, we'll make it to atleast 1/4 finals hopefully if we can manage to beat NL and have a few close games :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

So why then is Malahide looking at developing for a 12,000 seat capacity? Fact of the matter is results like this and Pakistan a few years ago, have done wonders for the fanbase. We locally now have a nice posse of about 10 fans up from 2 who regularly attend games and it is obvious that the crowds at Clontarf have been rising quite nicely. So your point that 'none of these people are genuine', 'we won't see them aroung until the next t20 cup or the world cup, these bandwagoners who only stay around until the world cup is bad for cricket' is simply not true.

Your attitude smacks of the worst of irish begrudgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Maybe if there was more people encouraged to take part, or more funding, and in more areas, rather than just the traditional sports it might make a difference

And whats wrong with people just taking a fleeting interest, its not that often Ireland gets one up in a sport thats followed and played by a minority compared to other sports, let people have their moment.

I'm not a huge follower my self, but I would have a general interest. I would follow the Ashes series, and was delighted when England won that. I would have some understanding of the scoring, still ocasionally need to remind my self how balls in a over, etc. But was still absolutly delighted yesterday, twice, followed it on the live updates yesterday afternoon, and had to be told to keep the noise down last night when cheering watching the highlights.

Maybe if the Media took a better interest as well, and kept it in the spot light following the last WC heroics, more people might have continued to follow them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I will agree with imported guy to some extent. There are people all over facebook talking about this victory but instead of seeing it as a good thing, they think it's hilarious. The level of ignorance amongst some Irish people when it comes to cricket never ceases to amaze me.

Yay we beat England at their own game but cricket is still shít and gay, they then complain they don't understand anything about it. Morons. I do not begrudge new supporters in any way, god knows we need them. I just wish the population hadn't such a outdated narrow minded view of the sport.

and the likes of you annoy the ****e outta me. question for you... how does any sport attract and expand their fanbase surely bandwagoning has something to do with it, with results like these do you not think that the interest in cricket will increase in ireland. and if the sport holds onto some of that interest when the world cup is over then thats a job well done in my eyes. e.g wolfetone posted on this thread congratulating the team and now wants to learn the rules and fair play to him e.g.#2 i had absolutely no interest in cricket before the last world cup and now i love watchin.

and there you go again with the typical english sports fan mentality 'the better team didnt win', 'fielding in the dark is impossible' excuse excuse excuse, i think it is you that should crawl back under your rock the same rock where england win at every sport(probably because their the only team there) and as for being 'guaranteed' to be in the 1/4's or semis i think its you being cocky.
    my home country is pakistan, we're in an easy group, 4 teams will make it to 1/4 finals from that group and i highly doubt we wont be 1 of the 4, so no not cocky, just realistic.

im not an english cricket fan at all lol where did you get that? i was just stateing facts, if you even have an iota of how to play cricket, you know its impossible to judge balls comming down in the dark.

back to ireland.

this isnt the first time we have had a result like this

we've beaten, pakistan, bangladesh (t20), lost by only something like 9 runs vs sirilanka (t20), beat zimbabwe and now england, where was this bandwagon before the england match?, they were there for when ireland beat pakistan, but what about bangladesh or zimbabwe? or the close match vs SL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

No
    There's no stigma to playing it. Anybody who has a problem with it due to its origins has a chip on their shoulder and should cop on as it's nearly 2016 not 1916.

A christ there is.
    I did not say that I agree, or adhere, to it but it is there.

Typical comments that I hear are "Play a real sport like... (insert whatever here)" "that's a pansy game" "nothing happens in that game" etc.

Have a young lad interested in playing and hearing comments like that from his older brother's peers (father's peers) would make many lad think twice

Yay we beat England at their own game but cricket is still shít and gay
    this is exactly what was posted on my status about ireland winning. let down.

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    Maybe if the Media took a better interest as well, and kept it in the spot light following the last WC heroics, more people might have continued to follow them.
    exactly, we get every sport on our national television, except cricket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Trenchman

No
    This is the height of typical Irish begrudgery and resentment. The team won a huge game, people who have no interest in cricket express delight at the result, and then they're pilloried from the 'real fans' for jumping on the bandwagon. Who cares? Really, what difference does it make whether people are real fans or just bandwagon jumpers? Was Italia '90 not just a hardcore of true soccer fans swamped by a multitude of bandwagon jumpers,and noone seemed to care then?

People get so precious about this stuff. 'It's MY sport,I've always been a fan, you don't know what you're talking about'. I'm just delighted that people are talking about a minority sport with such zeal and proud of the team for displaying all that is good about ANY Irish team, regardless of what sport you play.

I only really started to follow the team at the last World Cup. We made the pub we were in put on the Pakistan game and explained the rules to everyone around us. By the time the match was finished, the place was packed and the bar was roaring with pride. I think everyone in the pub was a bandwagoner, but I've never enjoyed an Irish sporting occasion so much in a pub.It was brilliant.

So can we just extend the hands of friendship between true fans and bandwagoners and get behind the team for the duration of the tournament? It's unfair to criticise people who are unsure of the rules or who is on the team. At least they sre showing some interest.

No
    my home country is pakistan, we're in an easy group, 4 teams will make it to 1/4 finals from that group and i highly doubt we wont be 1 of the 4, so no not cocky, just realistic.

im not an english cricket fan at all lol where did you get that? i was just stateing facts, if you even have an iota of how to play cricket, you know its impossible to judge balls comming down in the dark.
    back to ireland.

this isnt the first time we have had a result like this

we've beaten, pakistan, bangladesh (t20), lost by only something like 9 runs vs sirilanka (t20), beat zimbabwe and now england, where was this bandwagon before the england match?, they were there for when ireland beat pakistan, but what about bangladesh or zimbabwe? or the close match vs SL?

i remember before having an interest driving by clontarf there was a slow dribble of people coming out of the ground somebody in my car said there was a cricket match on. in comparison, the same venue roughly about a year ago the gardai were there diverting traffic because access was extremely slow around the ground. reason being; a large crowd leaving the ground after a cricket match..........................

No
    Just to lighten up things a bit courtesy of You Tube.

Incidentally Canada vs Pakistan is on and a real cracker here: http://www.isports-tv.com/cricketpg.html

Incidentally Canada vs Pakistan is on and a real cracker here: http://www.isports-tv.com/cricketpg.html
    im from pakistan, cant be arsed watching it 184 all out is pathetic, even though pakistan will probably win, its a disgrace after having beaten SL and kenya, i'll be crawling back under my rock now :) i'll be back for the india game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

with all due respect most posting on ehre are regulars to this forum and either play or are involved in Irish cricket in some way.

as for those that are happy and interested only during the world cup so what ? I for one only watch things like amatuer boxing and athletics during the olympics but now I realise it must be bad for those sports so of course I will stop :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

That statement is incorrect.
    Maybe its because you are not Irish, you dont understand and have this opinion about us?

First of all, its because we beat England at their own game that has caused such a stir amongst the general population.

Secondly, we were staring at defeat, and against all odds, we were victorious. Generally, Irish teams are underdogs, and when they pull off a shock result, it stirs the nation for a bit. Especially with the times we are living in. This is the reaction you see today, granted some bandwagoners around, but who cares, if it makes a few kids go out onto the street and minic KOB today, isnt that what really counts.

Scaring them all away with your attitude doesnt help.

Would you prefer if there was zero reaction to the result yesterday, that we all just keep our keyboards quiet and said nothing. The majority of internet comment today is genuine good wishes to the team and hurray for Ireland.

im from pakistan, cant be arsed watching it 184 all out is pathetic, even though pakistan will probably win, its a disgrace after having beaten SL and kenya, i'll be crawling back under my rock now :) i'll be back for the india game :)

[/QUOTE]we need loyal supporters. not bandwagons. these were the same people who came out in hordes after ireland beat pakistan, where was that bandwagon during the last 4 years? [/QUOTE]

Yip you need some loyal supporters alright !

alibabba wrote: »
    That statement is incorrect.
    Maybe its because you are not Irish, you dont understand and have this opinion about us?

First of all, its because we beat England at their own game that has caused such a stir amongst the general population.

Secondly, we were staring at defeat, and against all odds, we were victorious. Generally, Irish teams are underdogs, and when they pull off a shock result, it stirs the nation for a bit. Especially with the times we are living in. This is the reaction you see today, granted some bandwagoners around, but who cares, if it makes a few kids go out onto the street and minic KOB today, isnt that what really counts.

Scaring them all away with your attitude doesnt help.

Would you prefer if there was zero reaction to the result yesterday, that we all just keep our keyboards quiet and said nothing. The majority of internet comment today is genuine good wishes to the team and hurray for Ireland.

that "at their own game" attitude is what im talking about, im pretty sure england probably invented 90% of the sports out there, but how come only chinks are good at badminton and table tennis these days and beat english players left right and centre?, i doubt they gloat about beating england "at their own game" or australia/india beating england "at their own game" (cricket), that phrase makes us sound like we're a sad/pathetic team, its degrading, we beat them, we should be confident about it.

No
    that "at their own game" attitude is what im talking about, im pretty sure england probably invented 90% of the sports out there, but how come only chinks are good at badminton and table tennis these days and beat english players left right and centre?, i doubt they gloat about beating england "at their own game" or australia/india beating england "at their own game" (cricket), that phrase makes us sound like we're a sad/pathetic team, its degrading, we beat them, we should be confident about it.

'Beating them at their own game' is an expression used by the media - especially the tabloids - who haven't a clue. Irish cricket fans are delighted with beating England because of England's status as one of the big boys not because they are the old enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I dunno perhaps some of them are playing cricket ?

We went from fielding 3 teams to fielding 4 teams after the last world cup. The proof of the pudding is in the eating ....

No
    'Beating them at their own game' is an expression used by the media - especially the tabloids - who haven't a clue. Irish cricket fans are delighted with beating England because of England's status as one of the big boys not because they are the old enemy.

a bit of both i suspect lol;)

That is correct, but I was talking in terms of the reaction from the general population

Irish cricket fans are delighted with beating England because of England's status as one of the big boys

Irish fans are delighted with beating England because they are the old enemy.

In any case, let us all forget about the begrudgery and all support Ireland.
    And when the world cup is over, the general fan will find something else to amuse about, the the cricket fans will keep the faith, hopefully with a few new fans.

Thats life and thats sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

And when the world cup is over, the general fan will find something else to amuse about, the the cricket fans will keep the faith, hopefully with a few new fans.

Hope you're right. And can I add I only wish we could be as gracious in victory as the English are in defeat. As a cricket fan and someone who, unlike I hazard, many of the people contributing to this thread follows county and international cricket, can I say the amount of congratulations and goodwill from people over here to the Irish team is fabulous. Nothing but good wishes, and if anyone reads any of the English press today it's pretty much the same across the board. I watched the game on sky and listened to post match analysis on BBC radio yesterday and heard nothing but good words and encouragement for Ireland and Irish cricket...you then read some of the appalling contributions on this thread, narrow minded, biggoted, immature nonsense from folk who've never seen a ball bowled in anger and it makes you weep. Its one thing being bitter in defeat but some of the stuff on here sets a new standard for begrudgery and bad manners in victory.

As you say the leprechauns will hopefully pop back to the land of the little people before long and Irish cricket will grow on the back of this success. Genuine fans will have their faith afffirmed and hopefully some new converts will be created.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

any room left on the bandwagon???:)

OOoo ole ole ole ole ole ole ole Oole Oole

(can someone explain the rules):o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

No
    That is correct, but I was talking in terms of the reaction from the general population

Irish cricket fans are delighted with beating England because of England's status as one of the big boys

Irish fans are delighted with beating England because they are the old enemy.

In fairness I've been following cricket for years and I am delighted because of both your reasons. Beaten one of the best teams and also because it is England. If you had a choice between beating Sri Lanka and beating England, you would take England all day long. Even though Sri Lanka are higher ranked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

philstar wrote: »

(can someone explain the rules):o
    You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
    Each man that’s in the side that’s in goes out, and when he’s out he comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.
    When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.
    Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
    When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
    There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.
    When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

;)

The best way is to watch with someone who knows...
    I'm not helpful at all, but the above is good for a laugh, though it applies multiday matches when there are 4 innings in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

No
    philstar wrote: »
    any room left on the bandwagon???:)

OOoo ole ole ole ole ole ole ole Oole Oole

I second that one, there isn't enough Irish bandwagons left to jump on anyway. . . .

. . .by the way, any bets on O'Brien switching to England before the year's out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I second that one, there isn't enough Irish bandwagons left to jump on anyway. . . .

. . .by the way, any bets on O'Brien switching to England before the year's out?
    They dont need him. I'd be more worried about Rankin or Dockrell although Rankin hasn't been great lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

They dont need him. I'd be more worried about Rankin or Dockrell although Rankin hasn't been great lately.

Agreed.
    O'Brien is a good strong batsman, but he is not as good as Joyce at his best or Morgan.

Dockrell is Englands next great spinner.
    Its sad but it will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

ah fair play ireland. must be a hell of alot of people like me that are on this cricket thread for the first time. very well done indeed.
    i dont really know the rules but its always good to beat the games inventors.
    just one question tho', why did'nt the english lad put a bit of effort into trying to stop the last '4' hitting the boundary, i thought he just gave up on it. strange givin' what was at stake at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

d'Oracle wrote: »

You reckon? Do you see it as inevitable that he will play for England? It kills me that we're gonna lose him.
    just one question tho', why did'nt the english lad put a bit of effort into trying to stop the last '4' hitting the boundary, i thought he just gave up on it. strange givin' what was at stake at that time.

Yeah I kinda thought that myself, but Ireland needed 3 from 6 when that ball was bowled, and they managed to run 2 by the time it hit the ropes, so at that point they had reached a tied game with 1 needed from 5 so I dont think there's room for much of a conspiracy. Plus, he was probably the most despondent man on the planet at that moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

For ye Cricket heads that are still enjoying the moment check out the Ryanair website and an ad in the left-hand corner. :)

Well done Ireland.

(Apologies if this was posted already)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 danieljm

SeaFields wrote: »
    For ye Cricket heads that are still enjoying the moment check out the Ryanair website and an ad in the left-hand corner. :)

Well done Ireland.

(Apologies if this was posted already)

That ad seems to be gone, what was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

No
    I think its far too early to say if he'll play for England. His performances in limited overs matches have been excellent so far for sure. It remains to be seen if he has the penetration to make it at test level though. As a spinner, particularly a slow left armer, there's plenty of competition in Eng. I'm not saying he won't make it, but he'll need to develop considerably.

If definitely would be frustrating if he ended up just playing one-day matches for England, as Ed Joyce did. Though most of us accept the reality of our best players aspiring to play test cricket, it undoubtedly affects our progression as a cricket force.

• Advertisement

You reckon? Do you see it as inevitable that he will play for England? It kills me that we're gonna lose him.

Absolutely.
    He is 18, he tied Bangladesh in ribbons the other day.
    Like he went from his leaving cert to a county club.

All he has to do is learn and play. Ireland can't offer him test cricket.
    In 3 1/2 to 4 years he will play for England.

Absolutely.
    He is 18, he tied Bangladesh in ribbons the other day.
    Like he went from his leaving cert to a county club.

All he has to do is learn and play. Ireland can't offer him test cricket.
    In 3 1/2 to 4 years he will play for England.
    pretty sure it takes longer than 3 1/2 to 4 years to become an english national, i doubt they'd even consider him a perm resident within that time frame, im no expert on immigration though, i've lived in ireland 9 years and im still not eligable to play for the irish team :/

No
    why the 3-4 year thing did joyce or morgan have to wait for a similar period aswell???

pretty sure it takes longer than 3 1/2 to 4 years to become an english national, i doubt they'd even consider him a perm resident within that time frame, im no expert on immigration though, i've lived in ireland 9 years and im still not eligable to play for the irish team :/

It takes 4 years of residence in England playing county cricket to qualify for the English cricket team.

This is what Morgan did and Joyce before him.
    The 3 1/2 is to account for the few months he has already been over there if that counts.
    Why would I make this up?

why the 3-4 year thing did joyce or morgan have to wait for a similar period aswell???
    yeah you have to be a citizen or perm resident of a country to play for the national team (ICC rules)
    Under normal circumstances it takes four years to qualify to play for a country; having played for England at the 2007 World Cup in April 2007, Joyce was set to miss playing for Ireland in the 2011 tournament, taking place in February.[15] In October it was announced that Joyce and former New Zealand international Hamish Marshall would tour India with Ireland; it was hoped that it would assist their integration into the team in the event the ICC allowed them to play for Ireland in ODIs.[16] In November 2010, the ICC announced that Joyce's qualification period would be shortened by the ICC and that he would be allowed to play for Ireland at the World Cup,[15] and he was subsequently selected in Ireland's 15-man squad for the tournament.[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Joyce

• Advertisement
Advertisement