Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

scrambler

• 26-02-2011 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

i was wondering if there are many people who drive there scrambler on the road and what happens if the gardai see ya

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

i was wondering if there are many people who drive there scrambler on the road and what happens if the gardai see ya

I usually wave.

There again mine has lights, no. plate, indicators, and is insured.

Why ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭kildareman09

well i need to get from my house to a friends house with the bike its about a mile away and i have no way of putting it on a trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Making a few assumptions here, but delete what doesn't apply to you.

No licence

No insurance is a mandatory court appearance and 5 points

Driving with no tax gets the bike lifted

No need for lights once it's daytime and they aren't fitted, if fitted the have to work.

Knobblies are illegal for road use so it's either 3 or 5 points, depending on what you're charged with, and mandatory court appearance

I think I've missed a few others that the Gardaí will find when they stop you.
    well i need to get from my house to a friends house with the bike its about a mile away and i have no way of putting it on a trailer

Push it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Del2005 wrote: »

No need for lights once it's daytime and they aren't fitted, if fitted the have to work.
    Brake lights are mandatory. Most non enduro bikes don't have them.
    OP if it worries you why not get a legal off road bike?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Brake lights are mandatory. Most non enduro bikes don't have them.

Are you sure? From ROTR
    If your machine is fitted with indicators and a brake light, use them.
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    OP if it worries you why not get a legal off road bike?

The killer of all young men's dreams.... Insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

S.I. No. 189/1963 — Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations, 1963.

Stop lamps (cycles and invalid carriages).

27. (1) A stop lamp shall consist of one or two lamps, complying with the provisions of this article, fitted to the rear of a vehicle to which this Part of these Regulations applies and so constructed as to be actuated by the application of the service brake of the vehicle and when so actuated to show a red light to the rear of the vehicle.

(2) The lamp or each lamp (as the case may be) shall be of substantially greater intensity than the rear lamp or (where two rear lamps are fitted) either rear lamp.

(3) Where two lamps are fitted, they shall, as nearly as possible—

(a) be of the same power,

(b) have the same appearance when illuminated,

(c) have the same illuminated area,

(d) be fitted at the same height from the ground.

(4) (a) In the case of a vehicle having one lamp, the lamp shall be fitted on the centre line of the vehicle or to the right of that line.

(b) In the case of a vehicle having two lamps, the lamps shall be fitted—

(i) on opposite sides of the longitudinal axis of the vehicle and as nearly as possible equidistant from that axis,

(ii) as nearly as possible in the same longitudinal position in relation to the vehicle.

Use of lighting (cycles and invalid carriages).

28. (1) Where a vehicle to which this Part of these Regulations applies is used in a public place during lighting-up hours, any of the following lamps with which the vehicle is required to be equipped in pursuance of article 22 of these Regulations shall at all times while the vehicle is so used be shown duly lit, that is to say:—the position lamps, rear lamps and identification mark lighting.

Section 28 says they are only required when the vehicle is being used during lighting up hours.

So during daylight they aren't needed.

Edit/

That means if you're 1 hour from home at dusk and a Garda stops you, you are breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Basically without quoting half the rotr. Op if you get caught your fooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

If it's only 1 mile could the OP not walk with it, would there be any legal issues with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

gears wrote: »
    If it's only 1 mile could the OP not walk with it, would there be any legal issues with that.
    I'd imagine they be grand. I was pushing me bandit home from the pub a few years back and the cops pulled up. Then just tore off down the road. I got bored of pushing the bike and just left it on the street lol.

• Advertisement

gears wrote: »

Once it's not running there's no problem with pushing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

For the sake of a mile I'd push it, not worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

One mile is taking a bit of a chance. If it was half that I would chance my arm.

Chances are you will never be seen by the Garda but if you where really unlucky and got a nasty Garda you would be in hot water.

I was caught a few times as a young lad . Riding my bike to a quarry where I practiced. 2nd gear. Worst that ever happened was a parental visit by the coppers and a smack on the wrist. Nothing really.

Its not like you are riding down the M50. If you are going to do it, make sure you have at least proper MX gear on. At least you wont look like you stole it.

Maybe push it with the motor on . If ya see a car then hit the kill switch

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Making a few assumptions here, but delete what doesn't apply to you.

Knobblies are illegal for road use so it's either 3 or 5 points, depending on what you're charged with, and mandatory court appearance .

Utter bo11ocks..Knobblies aren't illegal
    Tyres that are not road legal are illegal.
    Michelin AC10 are as knobblie as you can get and they're road legal with nice markings saying so on the side.

Utter bo11ocks..Knobblies aren't illegal
    Tyres that are not road legal are illegal.
    Michelin AC10 are as knobblie as you can get and they're road legal with nice markings saying so on the side.

I didn't know that they'd made road legal knobblies and I did say I was making some assumptions so no need to be so annoyed I was wrong.

But since the OP is on a motocross bike I really doubt he has road legal knobblies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

I didn't know that they'd made road legal knobblies

Yeh they release some bikes from the factory with off road treaded tyres similar to knobbly's but they have to be marked with the "E" on the side wall see RSA. The tyres the offended road legal knobbly fan is referring to are off road competition bike tyres for Enduro which must use FIM homologated tyres and also be "E" marked like these Michelin Comps.

Remember last year when there was hell at the NCT centres because they refused to accept non "E" marked car tyres. Wouldn't mind the thing has only been in place in mainland Europe since 1995 FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Antiquo wrote: »
    The tyres the offended road legal knobbly fan is referring to are off road competition bike tyres for Enduro which must use FIM homologated tyres and also be "E" marked like these Michelin Comps.

Nope. The tyres the offended is referring to are not for acceptable for Enduro. Turn up at an FIM event and they'd have every right to tell you to feck off with em..They are a road legal full blown knobblie.
    It's just a pity that the road legal front tyre is worse on road than a non legal one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Nope. The tyres the offended is referring to are not for acceptable for Enduro. Turn up at an FIM event and they'd have every right to tell you to feck off with em..They are a road legal full blown knobblie.
    It's just a pity that the road legal front tyre is worse on road than a non legal one.

Yep.. The knobs on them are 5mm smaller than full crosser tires.

You wont get even get near the start line in an Enduro without road legal FIM tires. Very little difference in them but do cost a few more pound.

Advertisement