Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

erasmus??

Options
  • 26-02-2011 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hello, im a first year business student, and just wondering how id go about going on erasmus for a semester next year?...or is it too late to apply now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I'm guessing you'll be going in th 2nd semester of 2nd year?

It'll all be explained to you by your course heads when the time comes. If you want to make sure about it, contact the international office. You'll be able to find their contact details on ul.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I'm guessing you'll be going in th 2nd semester of 2nd year?

It'll all be explained to you by your course heads when the time comes. If you want to make sure about it, contact the international office. You'll be able to find their contact details on ul.ie.

Cheers for the reply..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I was in the same situation as you in 1st year, business student but actually me and my friends later found out that we made the right choice of deciding to go on erasmus in the 1st semester of 2nd year, because that means when we got back to UL we hadn't missed any of our majors which you start in the 2nd semester of 2nd year.

Spent 6 months in Graz Austria, best decision of my life.

And yes you still have time to decide, I think the deadline for going in september is sometime around the end of march.
    Go to the erasmus office in the main building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I called in today to the international office, im also first year business, and seh said we would need to get the applications in the next couple of weeks

Heard there is a grant program aswell for students who do the erasmus..any info on that??...
    Any countries yee would recomend going to if i could choose???

• Advertisement

If student who studies abroad in the EU (erasmus) gets in the region of €1200 per semester abroad.

Any questions PM me

hey do any of yee no where this room is? [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]E0030

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

went into the erasmus office today..think ill choose prague..
    Anyone been there before on erasmus??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

My housemate's from Prague, doing business as well so prob the same uni. Sounds like they've a good enough time there and cost of living is much cheaper than UL. Also other places which are popular are Granada in Spain, Tillburg in Netherlands, Bologna in Italy and Copenhagen in Denmark.

I hear theres a 1200 euro grant for students who take up erasmus within the eu..Does everyone get this grant or is it just people who need it more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Everyone gets it. It's a cost of relocation grant. It's higher in some countries due to cost of living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

is there any grant available for going outside the EU like america?

1huge1 wrote: »
    I was in the same situation as you in 1st year, business student but actually me and my friends later found out that we made the right choice of deciding to go on erasmus in the 1st semester of 2nd year, because that means when we got back to UL we hadn't missed any of our majors which you start in the 2nd semester of 2nd year.

Spent 6 months in Graz Austria, best decision of my life.

And yes you still have time to decide, I think the deadline for going in september is sometime around the end of march.
    Go to the erasmus office in the main building.

Hey, me and my friend have decided to apply for Graz Austria. (both 1st year business students)
    Just wondering is there a good choice of english thought business related modules there?
    Also did you stay in the dorms the college provides?? if so any good??
    what was the nightlife like??
    is there much to do during the days??
    did yee manage to go sking??

Thanks in advance:D

No. If you're going outside the EU you would need a fairly hefty amount of money, but particularly with the US be aware that the people who normally attend the US colleges are paying up to $80,000 for what you're getting for free if you go there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Merged threads

handed in my application today for graz austria:D

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Is it next semester they give you info about erasmus? I'll be gone on co-op the second semester of next year and will going on erasmus in semester one of third year.

Trader1991 wrote: »
    Hey, me and my friend have decided to apply for Graz Austria. (both 1st year business students)
    Just wondering is there a good choice of english thought business related modules there?
    Also did you stay in the dorms the college provides?? if so any good??
    what was the nightlife like??
    is there much to do during the days??
    did yee manage to go sking??

Thanks in advance:D
    Hey

Ya its the 2nd biggest university in Austria with around 20,000 students so your never short of courses to pick from in any area, so even if you don't speak a work of German you wont have a problem, I do business and german but a mate of mine came with me who did just business and we both had the time of our lives. Loads of business related modules and all through english if thats what your looking for.

http://www.housing.oead.at/graz/graz.asp?keyword=graz

You will be finding accommodation through the OEAD, they look after the erasmus students and stick you all together which is great trust me, We stayed in Neubaugasse which was in my opinion the best choice

Loved the city so much I went back to work there during the summer in a Irish bar plus I also went back for a certain Austrian women...

Loads to do, you'll be going on ESN trips, snowboarding, sight seeing etc so much to do.

You'll love it, any more questions let me know

1huge1 wrote: »
    Hey

Ya its the 2nd biggest university in Austria with around 20,000 students so your never short of courses to pick from in any area, so even if you don't speak a work of German you wont have a problem, I do business and german but a mate of mine came with me who did just business and we both had the time of our lives. Loads of business related modules and all through english if thats what your looking for.

http://www.housing.oead.at/graz/graz.asp?keyword=graz

You will be finding accommodation through the OEAD, they look after the erasmus students and stick you all together which is great trust me, We stayed in Neubaugasse which was in my opinion the best choice

Loved the city so much I went back to work there during the summer in a Irish bar plus I also went back for a certain Austrian women...

Loads to do, you'll be going on ESN trips, snowboarding, sight seeing etc so much to do.

You'll love it, any more questions let me know

Hey thanks for reply.
    Was your accommodation far from the university or the city??
    Do the students speak much english?

Can I just point out that ERASMUS is about doing something new and different and not Business students taking business modules, but just elsewhere or HPSS students taking history or politcs modules in a different country.

There's a reason the grades don't count.

Now I'm not suggesting for a minute a New Media and Irish student should go to Berlin and study astrophysics, but please do not get hung up on module availability

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    Can I just point out that ERASMUS is about doing something new and different and not Business students taking business modules, but just elsewhere or HPSS students taking history or politcs modules in a different country.

There's a reason the grades don't count.

Now I'm not suggesting for a minute a New Media and Irish student should go to Berlin and study astrophysics, but please do not get hung up on module availability

Im pretty sure your erasmus module grades will count to your degree so thats why i want to pick modules that i have an interest in and that are business related.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 deadhound17

Im pretty sure your erasmus module grades will count to your degree so thats why i want to pick modules that i have an interest in and that are business related.

False, there is only a pass and fail grade for Erasmus, they don't care whether you got a first in everything or just barely scraped by the passing mark by the skin of your teeth. The overall outcome of the year is to add the word 'international' to your degree title and to experience another country. That's why ninty9er said not to get hung up on module availability.

False, there is only a pass and fail grade for Erasmus, they don't care whether you got a first in everything or just barely scraped by the passing mark by the skin of your teeth. The overall outcome of the year is to add the word 'international' to your degree title and to experience another country. That's why ninty9er said not to get hung up on module availability.

false, the non compulsory erasmus does count twords your degree. I asked them up in the international office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 deadhound17

false, the non compulsory erasmus does count twords your degree. I asked them up in the international office.

My mistake then, it probably depends on your specific college and then your degree structure.

Advertisement