Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Credit Card Payment - Interest Issue

Options
  • 26-02-2011 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I always pay my credit card statement in full each month so as to avoid paying the dreaded interest but last month I appear to have come unstuck!

Basically I assumed that a credit payment (form a returned purchase) would go towards my monthly payment so I deducted the amount of the credit form my total payment and payed what I thought was the remaining balance — then I get my next statement which said I did not make the payment in full and have been hit with €17 interest :mad:

To explain this a bit clearer say my January statement had a balance of €1000 which was due for payment on the 5th of February. Then on the 12th. of January my account received a credit payment of €100. This was for an item purchased in December but then returned to the seller.

When I came to pay on the 5th of February I only transferred €900 into the credit card account as €100 had been added earlier which made a total of €1000 going into the account since the statement was issued!

The €100 credit then appeared on my most recent statement along with my payment of €900 but also with the interest due to me not actually paying €1000!

Can anyone explain why a credit on a previous purchase is not considered as part of an overall payment as ultimately it will reduce the balance on the credit card?

Advertisement