Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling Cup Final 2011 - Arsenal FC v Birmingham City [4pm SS1/BBC1]

• 26-02-2011 1:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭

b_1006.pngVS b_45.png

Preview here from Sky;

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_3361966,00.html

Possible starting XIs:

Arsenal: Szcezsny, Sagna, Koscielny, Djourou, Clichy, Song, Nasri, Wilshere, Rosicky, Arshavin, Van Persie.

Birmingham: Foster, Carr, Johnson, Jiranek, Ridgewell, Larsson, Ferguson, Gardner, Bowyer, Zigic, Martins.

Fabregas and Walcott definitely out.

Hopefully the rest of the team can step up; going to go for 2-1 Arsenal win.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's also live on BBC1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Really, really hope Arsenal win this to keep Sunderland's Europa League hopes alive :D

I have a feeling Birmingham will keep it very tight though and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to ET and penalties.

I'll say 1-0 Arsenal though, hopefully :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Arsenal should take this , just so it can change in the media to one minor trophy in 6 years.

This will be the springboard , COME ON YOU GUNNERS

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Anything other than an arsenal win would be a surprise for me. VanPersie will get the opener and arahavin will get the second. First trophy in a long while will be delivered about 6 p.m. to arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

About 2 or 3 nil to Arsenal. Zigic might get/cause a goal but Arsenal's midfield should totally outclass Birmingham's. The surface at Wembley is (at least was) usually apalling though, gets cut up very easily and slows the game down, I know they've relaid the pitch a few times but afaik that hasn't made much of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Hurrah. Arsenal in a cup final.one nil will do me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

A cup final definately deserves larger crests :pac:

So excited about this, cant wait. Dont think it be an easy game. Far from it but im gonna back the Arsenal to win 2-1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Does anyone ( not berba) think that Birmingham will win?
    I know it's a one off game and anything could happen but who would put their last fiver on Birmingham rather than Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

1-0 Birmingham

They'll have 11 men behind the ball and when they get a set piece they'll score

btw I would like to see Arsenal winning thou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Birmingham will start strong, Arsenal will score after 22 minutes and eventually go on to win 3-0.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

0-0 until the 73rd minute, then Arshavin will score a rocket. Arsenal to pick them off on the break after that and take it 3-0. Bendtner and Song to also get on the score sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Does anyone ( not berba) think that Birmingham will win?
    I know it's a one off game and anything could happen but who would put their last fiver on Birmingham rather than Arsenal?

My last fiver would be going on the HT draw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I expect it to be close for the first half but Arsenal to open them up eventually and win by 2 or 3 in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Huge game. One of the most important ones in our history in some aspects too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

It's going to be tight imo, regardless of what way it goes. If Brum score first we could be in trouble as they are a very solid unit defensively, and with no Cesc we really struggle to break down stubborn defences.

I'll be optimistic and say 2-1 Arsenal aet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd say it will be a narrow Arsenal win. Cup finals are rarely one sided affairs.

Any chance of Hleb lining out against his former club (like Seb Larsson)?
    Come to think of it Djourou and Bendtner spent time at loan at Birmingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

This is a tough one to call. Arsenal are favourites obviously but a 1-0 to Birmingham is not too hard to imagine. On the other hand if Arsenal score early then they could win 3-0.

Is the Wembley pitch in good nick these days? I recall it cutting up badly for previous finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

It certainly is hard to call. Easy to see Birmingham holding out defensively and getting a goal. Although they have been conceding more with Dann out injured. Hopefully Arsenal get an early goal and push on from there. RvP being back is a huge plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Jaysus, I forgot the mickey mouse cup final was on because of my complete indifference to it, meh, I think I will watch the rugby instead.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Jaysus, I forgot the mickey mouse cup final was on because of my complete indifference to it, meh, I think I will watch the rugby instead.

Jaysus, I forgot I don't give a flying fuck about your post because of my complete indifference to you, meh, I think I will watch the Carling Cup Final instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

My big fear is that Brum will hack us to bits tomorrow and leave us without half our starting 11 for the rest of the season. Really really worried about this game.

My big fear is that Brum will hack us to bits tomorrow and leave us without half our starting 11 for the rest of the season. Really really worried about this game.

Don't think it'll manifest itself for two reasons;

[1] It ain't at St Andrews and teams that use the kick them approach at the Emirates don't fare too well.

[2] The FA will try their their hardest to avoid any controversy in one of the showpiece games of the season - expect any OTT challenges to be dealt with. It won't turn into a scrap that way.

cson wrote: »

[2] The FA will try their their hardest to avoid any controversy in one of the showpiece games of the season - expect any OTT challenges to be dealt with. It won't turn into a scrap that way.

Or they might do their best to not send anyone off to 'preserve the contest of the cup final' or some such nonsense.
    I recall the last time we played them we were on the receiving end of a bit of the aul kick n' stamp. Hopefully there will be no such unpleasantness this time. I don't expect Birmingham to let us walk with the ball, I just hope we don't pick up any unnecessary injuries. Winning the Carling Cup, while a nice bonus, would not be worth losing key players for the more important league/Champions league run ins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Arsenal to win without too much bother.

Maybe 2 or 3 nil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Jesus that punk rocker piece on SSN was cringey

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Anyone want to meet up and watch this in the pub? I was meant to be in London this weekend but the election prevented me. Watching it on my own in the living room doesn't seem right!

I would venture to the Merc with the Arsenal fan club, but they never win when I go there so I'm staying away!

Remember, the Ireland rugby match is at the same time so you might face competition to geta good spot in the pub.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

bah, fecking rugby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Its a "worthless" cup, until you actually reach the final, funny that?!

It is interesting how Wenger is talking it up now, what next, Wenger to go and spend money shock!?

IMO If Wenger had just replaced Viera with a like for like player and the same with Adam, they would have won a trophy or two by now.
    They just need a bit of steel with all that silk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

It is interesting how Wenger is talking it up now, what next, Wenger to go and spend money shock!?

IMO If Wenger had just replaced Viera with a like for like player and the same with Adam, they would have won a trophy or two by now.

It's only real worth will be from a psychological point of view, a win might give confidence to the team and relieve the pressure on them currently. In other words the only reason some of us give a **** about it is the potential it has to spur the team on to more...

Or you could have a gander at what Wenger has actually said on the cup:
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-what-will-satisfy-me-this-season

Name one central defender of the caliber of Tony Adams that Arsenal could have afforded when moving stadium? The only one that comes to mind is Vidic, but if push came to shove I would imagine United would have been able to outbid us anyway.
    As for steel, we seem to have a bit of that now. Song and Wilshere ad bite to our midfield, while Vermaelen is a bulldog at the back (alas he's been injured for most of the season which is unfortunate for us).

Arsenal need a combative midfielder... like gee I don't know Alex Song maybe?
    We also need a big strong center back. Pity Wenger hasn't secured one of the best young center backs in England... someone like Johan Djourou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

J. Marston wrote: »
    Birmingham will start strong, Arsenal will score after 22 minutes and eventually go on to win 3-0.
    flahavaj wrote: »
    0-0 until the 73rd minute, then Arshavin will score a rocket. Arsenal to pick them off on the break after that and take it 3-0. Bendtner and Song to also get on the score sheet.

most specific guesses ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Arsenal to win to nil @ 11/8

remiq.net_16599.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Wow, you're so right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Adams retired in 2002 did he not ? Fairly sure we've won something since then...

Zigic to score a header 7/1

Interesting bet if he starts

Headshot wrote: »
    Zigic to score a header 7/1

Interesting bet if he starts

Is that any time or first to score?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Is that any time or first to score?

any time I reckon

max bet is 45 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

And that's why I'm happier to be playing Birmingham than West Ham!

• Advertisement

Well here's the teams anyway. Little bit surprised that Rosicky starts.
    12865843.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Oh Jesus. That is embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That_Guy wrote: »
    Oh Jesus. That is embarrassing.

what?

JPA wrote: »
    what?

Not so embarrassing but cringeworthy. Derek Acorah in the opening video sequence on Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I dont really care about either team in the greater scheme of things, but i'd love to see Big Eck and fergie get their hands on some silverware today.

M'on Brum!

Arsenal win here please. Possible Europa League place purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Cmon the Gunners

Liked the bitta Justice being played there as the players came out.

C'mon Arsenal!

COME ON ARSENAL!!!!

Liked the bitta Justice being played there as the players came out.

C'mon Arsenal!

It's sad that it'll probably be the best part of this game. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement