Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling Cup Final 2011 - Arsenal FC v Birmingham City [4pm SS1/BBC1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Galvasean wrote: »
    Football fans in willy wagging shocker.

Well I was being told that it didn't happen on Boards.

Today is the perfect example of why the Germans have the word Schadenfreude. This is not an anti-Arsenal thing, any big team that lost in such a manner would cause other fans to have a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

My initial reaction was, "Why would we be ****? :confused: "

Fair play to Birmingham. They deserve their success and I hope their fans enjoy every minute of it.

To get Seaman back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

To get Seaman back?

Thats not how it works :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

sE0gx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Heh, the wait continues.

Hopefully it shakes Arsenal's confidence a bit for the run in.

I thought Birmingham deserved it over the course of the game, delighted for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Thank God it didnt happen but i was waiting for Cameron Jerome to get pantsed(sp?) in the last video shown on sky sports there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Arse can't defend and all our defenders are rubbish.....FACT!!!

I don't care what anybody says about 5 clean sheets with Djourou and Kos, I've watched this pairing many times and it was by pure fluke we didnt concede! Take united, They have Smalling, Evans, O'shea and brown who are all better than any of our CB probably bar Vermalan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

ya gotta love all the cocky SPURS fans before kickoff thinking they only had to show up to claim there 3 points against Blackpool

as Enda Kenny would say BOOM BOOM:D

Emirates should be rocking on wednseday night for Orient , parade of the Carling Cup and all that

oh wait............:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

BERBA wrote: »
    Emirates should be rocking on wednseday night for Orient , parade of the Carling Cup and all that

Still have three trophies to go for. So not looking too shabby, gutted to lose but still have a lot to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

BERBA wrote: »

Good luck getting an angry reaction out of me. I've already congratulated Birmingham on a deserved win and wished their fans well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Serves them right for not buying a world class goalkeeper in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Serves them right for not buying a world class goalkeeper in the summer.

Name the world class Goalkeeper that they should have bought? Woj has been great for us this season, was his first real error for us, so not going to slate him for it. He is really promising so I dont see us buying a keeper in the summer.

Name the world class Goalkeeper that they should have bought? Woj has been great for us this season, was his first real error for us, so not going to slate him for it. He is really promising so I dont see us buying a keeper in the summer.

Shay Given imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Shay Given imo.

City wouldn't sell Given to a rival club.

Shay Given imo.

You said world class I thought?:confused:

City wouldn't sell Given to a rival club.

they should have bought him before city did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

flahavaj wrote: »
    You said world class I thought?:confused:

Shay given is a world class keeper

oconnon9 wrote: »

No interest in getting into it here, wrong thread and all that, but just no, no, no

Very good keeper - yes.

World class - no.

No world class keepr would stay glued to his line and fail to command his area like Given does.

oconnon9 wrote: »

world class at sitting on the bench me thinks

Any birmingham fans on boards actually?

• Advertisement

One or two, there's a transfer/rumours thread on page 1 atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I didn't actually say I got that impression here (shockingly life exists outside Boards), but it is fair to say there have been numerous instances of Arsenal fans treating today as a foregone conclusion. Not saying it is everybody, but there has been an arrogant streak in certain Arsenals fans about the League Cup. Even down to things like the group on Facebook about attending Arsenal's first trophy celebration in 5 years shows that some (again some, not all!) had been arrogant.

Although it is not as if conversations like this have not happened on Boards either.

But is that not banter, after all Everton fans set up a Facebook group to celebrate Liverpools relegation party when Roy was still in charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

And people used to say Arsenal have no bottle

flahavaj wrote: »
    No interest in getting into it here, wrong thread and all that, but just no, no, no

Very good keeper - yes.

World class - yes
    No world class keepr would stay glued to his line and fail to command his area like Given does.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

2zfkg3s.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

User named pot noodle is AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Disgrace. The only word which i can use to describe the work rate of our performance and the overall performance for quality. Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

But is that not banter, after all Everton fans set up a Facebook group to celebrate Liverpools relegation party when Roy was still in charge

Not really. Everton fans set up a page about an extremely unlikely event, which is what makes it funny. But some Arsenal fans set that up because they were pretty sure something was going to happen. I think there is a difference between banter and arrogance. Birmingham were disrespected by a certain section of their fans.

And before the usual "so a Facebook group speaks for all fans" line is brought out, I have all along been talking about a certain section of fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Not really. Everton fans set up a page about an extremely unlikely event, which is what makes it funny. But some Arsenal fans set that up because they were pretty sure something was going to happen. I think there is a difference between banter and arrogance. Birmingham were disrespected by a certain section of their fans.

And before the usual "so a Facebook group speaks for all fans" line is brought out, I have all along been talking about a certain section of fans.

I'm an Arsenal fan and I totally agree with this. The arrogance of some Arsenal fans has made the team's job a lot more difficult because of the pressure they are under. Rather than encourage, the instill a fear of losing on the team, which is counterproductive because it means the team are more likely to keep the negative aspects of their play in mind. It's no wonder Arsenal have a better away record than they do home record at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

eZe^ wrote: »
    2zfkg3s.gif

That is the best gif i have seen posted on these forums.top drawer........

Just in from my boys confirmation and could not believe Arsenal were turned over.
    I know Brum can be tough at times but really expected them to nick it.

Delighted for Mcleish,decent manager and a good personality too so i guess football does reward the good guys now and then...:D

Now hoping Arsenal start to crumble.........

RVP injured? with Walcott and Fab carrying knocks though not long term absentees it could be a tricky few weeks for Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Fair play to Birmingham, worthy winners in the end and put in far more effort than out lot today. I'm very disappointed that we didn't win today and this could have a negative impact on the team too although we have bounced back much better from our setbacks this season.

It's a pity Walcott was injured for today, I think he could have made a real difference. Hopefully we'll get rid of Rosicky soon, he didn't put in any effort until he got the armband! Ah well, the wait continues. I reckon we have a good chance in 2 of the remaining 3 competitions, hopefully we can salvage something...how terribly cocky of me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I was NERVOUS before this game. I know its a cup final and that is natural but this was against Birmingham city. We put out a good team with much better players than them. The reason the nerves were there are for a reason. We just don't handle pressure situations when put on us on a CONSISTENT basis. Look at newcastle. 4-0 at HT. 4-4 FT.

That sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

eZe^ wrote: »
    2zfkg3s.gif

That Mr. Top is just something special.

The context makes it even better again;
    @53Szczesny53
    Wojciech Szczesny

Is it a plane? Is it an aeroplane? No, its just ashley throwing chelsea out of the fa cup :)

and of course the gun.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭salthillman

Just heard this on FB

What's the difference between 'Fagin from Oliver Twist' and Arsene Wenger?
    When Fagin sent his kids out, they came back with silverware.:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

OPENROAD wrote: »
    He was past it years ago
    Rosicky tries hard, so it's hard to dislike him. The ability just isn't there to perform at the highest level though. Great squad player to have, just wouldn't be putting him into a cup final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

50 years a brum fan just in from the pub KEEP RIGHT ON TO THE END OF THE ROAD

BLOODY FANTASTIC OUR KID, BLOODY FANTASTIC.

AT LONG LAST WHAT A LONG LONG WAIT, SINCE WE WERE CHEATED BY LIVERPOOL IN 2001.

GO ON YOU BLUES -NOW JUST STAY UP.

BLOODY FANTASTIC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Well fúck me that was depressing. Couldn't believe a goal like tha tcost us a trophy.

Few points:

We were lucky not to have Woj went off in the 2nd minute. Bowyer was a mile on when he was taken out, how the linesman flagged him off I'll never know.

Foster was fúcking immense, he showed yesterday why he was given so long to take his chance at United, he looked unbeatable. Around about 70 minutes I knew there was no way we were putting another by him unless it went to penalties. Fully deserved his MotM.

RVP's goal was fantastic, but he got whacked, not worth the cost if we've lost him for a few weeks now.

The goal. The fúcking goal. I still can't decide who's fault it was.
    If Woj screams for it then Koscielny is at fault. If Woj doesn't scream for it or screams late well then it's his fault as Kosc is jsut doing what he should be doing in a situation like that, blemming it into the stands.

Birmingham were good value for thier win, it was a fairly even game and they just made sure to take their chances. Roger Johnson was bloody brilliant, especially considering he was playing on one leg for half the game.

Rosicky, is a shadow of his former self, I have a lot of time for the guy, but he's essentially dead weight at this stage, time to move him on in the summer.

Also, which Birmingham player gave Koscielny a clip in the back of the head as he ran by him celebrating? Serious lack of class whoever it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Bowyer i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Bowyer i think
    That would make sense alright...

• Advertisement

Bowyer i think

Sounds about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Frisbee wrote: »
    Sounds about right.

Taking inspiration from Keown or Henry. What goes around....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Didn't see Bower's yesterday, but Keown's was quality. Look, I've even got it in my sig ;)

Koscielny isn't either of those people :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Yeah it was Bowyer, someone on Twitter mentioned it to Larsson and he said he would have a word with Bowyer about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Yeah it was Bowyer, someone on Twitter mentioned it to Larsson and he said he would have a word with Bowyer about it.

Lol I imagine that conversation would end with Bowyer telling Larsson to swiftly fuck off.

It was Barry Ferguson anyway.

jack_wilshere Jack Wilshere
    Well done to the BCFC player who slapped Koscielny on the head when they scored, very big of you!

lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Actually it was not Lee Bowyer or Ferguson, it is definitely Beausejour no23.

It does strike me as a weird mentality to have. Rather than being preoccupied with winning a major trophy on a big stage (the club's first in decades), you simply have to give the poor bugger who gifted your team the goal a twack in the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

article-1361429-0D68AEA1000005DC-929_634x397.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement