Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer jobs for students?

Options
  • 26-02-2011 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I know theres already a thread similar to this so you can merge them if its necessary. So I'm 15 and I wanted to know what kind of work I can do during the summer? I don't mind doing voluntary work either, I already applied to some places but I never heard back :/ and how should I go about looking for work? Can I just leave my CV into random places even though I'm under 16?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

just leave your CV in everywhere - what's the worst they can do sur

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

At 15 you will be incredibly hard pressed for anywhere to take you (what with it being illegal and such) other than jobs like babysitting or dog walking. You should try voluntary places as you said, like charity shops or dog shelters, but I remember from doing my community work in TY they can have over 18s policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

My sister got a job in a charity shop last summer- she was 17. Not social life killing hours, and a nice thing to have on your CV. It wasn't difficult either, so I'd suggest that. Don't be afraid to aim higher though- anybody who'll work for free is a valuable commodity for most businesses, even if you're just making the tea! As Woody Allen once said: "Eighty percent of success is showing up."

To think at 16 I got a summer job that paid €9 an hour. It's wacky how things have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Yeah, I'd say it'll be pretty impossible to get a summer job. I've been looking for a few months for a part time job and I'm 19 and have 3 years experience in customer service, there's graduates with 10+ years experience looking for work, so unfortunately you're at the bottom of a very full barrel. I'd say try and get as much charity work and experience in places as you can so when you're 16 and it's legal for you to work, you'll have more than someone who hasn't done anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It's actually legal to work from 14 but there's so many restrictions on when you can/can't work and how many breaks you're entitled to that most employers don't want the hassle and it's not really worth it from their point of view. Best bet is to try work for relatives or do a paper/milk round or something like that. Wash cars, walk dogs just do whatever you can really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

My Dad is making me get a job during the summer. I'll be sixteen.

What type of pay would I be looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

My Dad is making me get a job during the summer. I'll be sixteen.

What type of pay would I be looking at?

"An employee under age 18 is entitled to €5.36 per hour or 70% of the minimum wage. An employer can pay more."

Taken from the citizen's information website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

jubella wrote: »
    "An employee under age 18 is entitled to €5.36 per hour or 70% of the minimum wage. An employer can pay more."

Taken from the citizen's information website.

Not bad, I guess.

Probably get at least €15 or €20 a day. That would be the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yamadeejit

Thanks for all the really helpful replies! :) I think I'm just going to try voluntary work for now. Btw, what do you think about helping out in the local library? My mam came up with the idea but I don't know, do I just go in and ask for work?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

yamadeejit wrote: »
    Thanks for all the really helpful replies! :) I think I'm just going to try voluntary work for now. Btw, what do you think about helping out in the local library? My mam came up with the idea but I don't know, do I just go in and ask for work?

Only 1 way to find out! Go in and ask and see if there's any voluntary work or anything available. They'll know more than we do :) Best of luck finding something, it's certainly not easy out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

It's not easy to get jobs as a teenager right now. I literally left about 20~ C.Vs into places in my area last Summer and I didn't get a single reply. With the current state of the country, a fully qualified college graduate will be struggling to get a job so unfortunately you'd be at the bottom of the list. But by all means, leave them in as you never know, you could be lucky!

Although a good option is to try local clubs. I play rugby and I earned roughly 200 euro for a few weeks work painting fences. It was hard work but it was damn worth it :L

I never wanted to see paint again though. Or a fence..

Advertisement